• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Shoei Neotec 2 vs. Schuberth C3 Pro vs. Schuberth C4

Went to Shoei N2 from C4. The C4 is a disaster on my G650GS; first, the fitting was imperfect; even with custom-modded pads for XXL, I ended up ending rides with my ears compacted in and probably some kind of damage from the event. Second, for whatever reason, perhaps personal error, I ended up getting some kind of C4 part vibrating like crazy, forcing me to go earplugs only and onto local roads, and warranteeing the C4.

Ultimately, it doesn't just matter what the brand is. You have to try it yourself, see how well the helmet fits you, your riding style, and your bike.

Eagerly awaiting a C4 Pro now. Jeez @ Schuberth, how could you drop the ball like that.

Was wondering about the Klim

I would add the Klim TX 1200 to the mix. I like mine after selling a Neotec and Schuberth nearly new at significant losses. Fit is personal, but it fits me as well as an Arai RX-Q or Quantum. Transitions shield with pinlock capability (gets very dark quickly in bright sun). Great field of view. Super light carbon fiber shell. Seven positive detents for shield. Ingenious chinstrap latch. Secure modular face bar with breakaway feature in the open position. Good venting. Noise level about the same as Schuberth but not as good as Arai.

View attachment 69242

View attachment 69243

I am replacing a Neotec - broken face shield and saw these on Revzilla. Was hoping someone here had tried one already. Looks sharp as well.

Nolan

Any comment about the Nolan N100-5? Compared with C3Pro and Neotec II?

I am looking to replace my C3. Hard to find any good comparisons.

Helmets

My BMW dealer was frying turkeys today and I still went. While there I was trying on helmets ( my neotec over 5 years old ) and I tried on a schuberth c4 because they be on sale now and damn it fit and was comfortable, did some online research and it seems they have gone to a more intermediate oval shape.
I love my neotec but the c4 with 30% off, if you want the communication system you pay $230 or $349 more take the little box thing plug it into the helmet than plug in the battery and your done.
So not a bad day the two turkey sandwiches I got ( one for me and one for Bessie ) May end up only costing $400 each or $225 each if I don’t get comn system.

A466734B-5DA9-4391-BF89-7CA04B262D27.jpeg

The turkey was delicious Bessie got the stuff from the bottom of the pan, I took 4 slices of bread before I found out they were out of turkey. Bessie did not mind the extra bread, leaving 4 slices on the plate the same as leaving 2 slices to her.

I have been using a C4 since I got my bike and have been generally pretty happy with it. Comfort has always been good, my primary complaint has always been noise and wind buffeting but they have both been fairly minor. I primarily wanted to try the Neotec 2 because it is supposed to be quieter with potentially better aerodynamics. I went to the local shop intending to try on and potentially buy the Neotec 2 and found it to be be comfortable from the start. Fairly similar to the C4 in fit except the cheek pads that come on the helmet were definitely more intrusive. I know Shoei will allow for one pad swap so I would probably go down a bit in size for the cheek pads. Otherwise it felt similar to the Schuberth. The slightly narrower field of view was not really all that noticeable as I walked around with the Neotec on. I liked the visor function a bit better as the C4 has always been a bit finicky. I also liked the vents, much more glove friendly and the chin bar release seemed to be more glove friendly than the C4 as well.

After trying the Neotec for a bit around the shop and checking out the different colors I decided to give the AGV Sportmodular a try. I had not really even considered it as I was not really familiar with the brand, but the feel of the helmet, in a larger size than my Schuberth and the Neotecs I was trying, was so good. Between being dramatically lighter and just fitting my head better than the others I was sold. Seems to be pretty well put together. Standard D Rings, in Titanium, instead of the C4 and Neotec II ratcheting systems seem to be the primary difference outside of the different shape of the chin bar.

Got to ride a bit today with the Sport Modular and it was indeed quieter with less buffeting at speed and the visibility seems to be as good as the C4 which is quite good. The 120 pinlock also seems to be much better than what came with my C4.

i-h8v6vv8-L.jpg

Attachments

• i-h8v6vv8-X2.jpg
    i-h8v6vv8-X2.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 2,676
Last edited:
Sport modular

I have been using a C4 since I got my bike and have been generally pretty happy with it. Comfort has always been good, my primary complaint has always been noise and wind buffeting but they have both been fairly minor. I primarily wanted to try the Neotec 2 because it is supposed to be quieter with potentially better aerodynamics. I went to the local shop intending to try on and potentially buy the Neotec 2 and found it to be be comfortable from the start. Fairly similar to the C4 in fit except the cheek pads that come on the helmet were definitely more intrusive. I know Shoei will allow for one pad swap so I would probably go down a bit in size for the cheek pads. Otherwise it felt similar to the Schuberth. The slightly narrower field of view was not really all that noticeable as I walked around with the Neotec on. I liked the visor function a bit better as the C4 has always been a bit finicky. I also liked the vents, much more glove friendly and the chin bar release seemed to be more glove friendly than the C4 as well.

After trying the Neotec for a bit around the shop and checking out the different colors I decided to give the AGV Sportmodular a try. I had not really even considered it as I was not really familiar with the brand, but the feel of the helmet, in a larger size than my Schuberth and the Neotecs I was trying, was so good. Between being dramatically lighter and just fitting my head better than the others I was sold. Seems to be pretty well put together. Standard D Rings, in Titanium, instead of the C4 and Neotec II ratcheting systems seem to be the primary difference outside of the different shape of the chin bar.

Got to ride a bit today with the Sport Modular and it was indeed quieter with less buffeting at speed and the visibility seems to be as good as the C4 which is quite good. The 120 pinlock also seems to be much better than what came with my C4.

View attachment 71599

I like the helmet being about 1lb lighter than the C4 or Neotec 2, the reviews I read on the sport modular seemed to be five star best helmet ever or they bitched about the chin strap.
Question in your opinion any problems with chin strap?

I like the helmet being about 1lb lighter than the C4 or Neotec 2, the reviews I read on the sport modular seemed to be five star best helmet ever or they bitched about the chin strap.
Question in your opinion any problems with chin strap?

I have one. I can see how some may not like it; however, if you do it "right", you can avoid the feeling disliked by those who cite it being too far back/on the throat.

I would definitely rate the strap as a slight downgrade from the others. My ranking would be Schuberth-->Neotec II-->Sport Modular. It is not uncomfortable per se, just not as comfortable as the other ones.

Bought Bell Mx9 to replace C3 Pro

Good description for what I felt when I tried on neotec 2, I am trying to replace my 5+ year old neotec ( best fitting helmet I ever put on) neotec 2 might be a little bit tighter around neck I felt a bit claustrophobic, again hard to replace a perfect fitting helmet.

Well, the "rest of the story." My Schubert C3 Pro was fogging up badly on me in cold (~35F), foggy weather (confession: I didn't have the pinlock fully seated, but didn't know it) and I was really not liking having to flip my visor open regularly to see so I went out and bought a Bell Mx-9 Adventure because it had, as an available option, a heated faceshield . The helmet is called an "Adventure" helmet, but it looks like a dirt bike helmet. It is a lot breezier and noisier than the Schuberth, but I use wired earbuds so noise is not much of a problem with the buds in my ears. Since the MX-9 is a lot breezier inside fogging should be less of an issue. The Schuberth had poor ventilation. The MX-9 came with a "Transitions" faceshield, that is, a sun-sensitive plastic that adjusts from very dark to crystal clear based on the amount of sunlight--a trick feature that I like. I went for a 4 hour ride Monday and I think I like the Transitions option. I was concerned about it being too dark in tunnels so tried it in some local tunnels, and found that it was good enough. The Schubert was nice and quiet, but you paid a price for that quietness in terms of poor ventilation, which contributed to fogging, and I never really liked the pinlock complexity anyway. The pinlock sort of worked (when installed correctly) but I never liked having two layers of plastic to clean, and it wasn't that transparent, either, after a couple years of use. For the MX-9, I also bought (in addition to the "Transitions" faceshield, the optional heated faceshield, however the MX-9 helmet is so breezy I will wait and see how much of problem fogging actually is before wiring the heated faceshield. Might not be worth the hassle of installing the heated faceshield. (I have heated garments already so wiring the faceshield would not be a big hurdle.)

The MX-9 has a bill to cut down on sun glare. Not everyone would like that, but I had been thinking that that would be a nice feature for a long time. So far I like it, but it will take a year to be objective about it.

One thing that I have noticed on the MX-9 is that with more ambient noise (a minus) I am much more aware of my riding environment (a plus.) Another plus is that the bill serves to protect my new expensive faceshields much better than a helmet without a bill could. To each his own.

Back