Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Clearwater's great customer service

Unhappy Bummed... I ordered the wrong clamp

I have AltRider crash bars that are 1.25", so I ordered the kit for that size tubing. When I went to put it on, I found out there was no place on the 1.25" tubing that I could use to mount the lights. It is Saturday and they are closed.... very bummed as this was gonna be the project for today... I am hopeful they will swap my bracket and rush the new one so I can get going. I took some pictures of how I plan to mount it once I get the right bracket:

https://imgur.com/a/PWnsHVO

I also ordered the yellow lense covers and the Billie Jr. brake light.

The build quality is excellent and I am super excited to get this thing done. Now I wait..

Clearwater's great customer service

Quote Originally Posted by mustangguy View Post
    I have AltRider crash bars that are 1.25", so I ordered the kit for that size tubing. When I went to put it on, I found out there was no place on the 1.25" tubing that I could use to mount the lights. It is Saturday and they are closed.... very bummed as this was gonna be the project for today... I am hopeful they will swap my bracket and rush the new one so I can get going. I took some pictures of how I plan to mount it once I get the right bracket:

https://imgur.com/a/PWnsHVO

I also ordered the yellow lense covers and the Billie Jr. brake light.

The build quality is excellent and I am super excited to get this thing done. Now I wait..
    I encountered similar gaps from bar clamps. If you've got a Lowes or Home Depot nearby, grab the appropriate width piece of aluminum bar stock and fab up a couple of shims. Use the engine guard bars for the shim bend and go riding. My '09 had them when I sold it back in '14 and still does.

Mike

Smile Good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by mikegc View Post
    I encountered similar gaps from bar clamps. If you've got a Lowes or Home Depot nearby, grab the appropriate width piece of aluminum bar stock and fab up a couple of shims. Use the engine guard bars for the shim bend and go riding. My '09 had them when I sold it back in '14 and still does.

Mike
    Great idea! I was thinking about some rubber hose until the new clamps get here. I think I will just wait for the new clamps so I don't bugger up these in case they will do a swap.

Here's another example of great service from Clearwater. I ordered some under mirror light mounts for my 2016RT on the 23rd May, and I received them at my address in South Australia on 4th June, well ahead of the estimated delivery date. My inquiry about the suitability for the mounts for the non-Clearwater lights I'm putting on them was very quick.

I finally got the Darla and Billie Jr lights put on, and I love them. Very high quality construction, and they work very well. I have yet to actually test them with other riders to see if I need to dim or brighten things more. The install time was way longer than the site said because routing wires properly required a great deal of time and testing. I worked on it in the evenings and it was probably about 8 hours total over 3 evenings for the CAN opener, the Darlas and the Billie Jr.

I believe this is the best aftermarket lighting on the market for the GS. Well worth the investment in money and in time.

some photos

Clearwater Darlas vs BMW OEM "Fogs"?

So from what ya'll have written, plus watching Glen's 2012 trade-show video on their website, I am guessing the Clearwater Darlas, et. al., throw more lumens for less current draw than the OEM "fog" lights that came on my '17 GSA?
    "Soló el que ensaya lo absurdo es capaz de conquistar lo imposible." Miguel de Unamuno 1905

Mark - Las Cruces, NM - '10 K1300S and '17 R1200 GSA