• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Shad SH59X

mrrick

RTP-Motorcop Ret.
Hi All, Looking for some help with mounting my newly purchased Shad Expandable Top Case for my 2017 RT. I purchase the Shad adapter plate for my "17" RT and even though not real happy with having to drill holes in the OEM rack to mount it, it doesn't seem to line up any of the of the mounting holes in the case mounting plate. Hoping someone has had experience with this installation and can offer some guidance. Thanks. Rick

Rick -

See if any of the threads in the Similar Threads pane below are of any help.

There is a plastic cover on the main rack, held on by four small black screws. This covers the holes for aesthetic reason for when the case is not on the bike. Remove those screws and that should solve the mystery. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thx. Yep, covers off but only two holes in that mount seem to line up with the adapter plate.

If this is the same adapter plate used for the SH-50 case and they haven't changed anything on the 17 vs my 16 RT wrt the rack, then the two holes should line up on each side (as shown in the attached picture). You only have to drill through the rack cover (I know, it's not a cheap part even if it's only a "cover") and once you've done that and mounted the case, you don't really notice it anymore. I've also included a picture of the top case mounted to the bike from the side if that helps any.

Attachments

• shad-plate.jpg
    shad-plate.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_4705.jpg
    IMG_4705.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 89
I had the same issue but it does fit. It goes further rearward than you would expect. You need to use the little red spacers too. Hopefully this picture will help. I had to get some longer screws used to mount the rear portion of the bottom plate. Wonder if they have fixed that problem.
20180523_125015 (Large).jpg

Had the same issue with the rear screws (and possibly even the front adapter plate screws) as well. I thought the problem was with the adapter plate though. Indeed fitting the case adapter is also tricky to say the least ... there is really only one way to get all four holes aligned and it does sit further back than you might think but in the end, it's comfortable for the pillion rider and doesn't push them forward.

Thanks Guys, great pics. I see my issue now. Wasn't bringing the mounting plate that far back. Awesome. Thanks again.

Back