Thread: Garmin Express Not Recognizing my Nav V

Garmin Express Not Recognizing my Nav V

So I went to update my BMW Nav 5 with Garmin Express (using the Garmin supplied cable) and it doesn't recognize that it's connected to my Microsoft Surface laptop. Any others experience this? Any suggestions?

As per Garmin Express I tried a different USB port and a different cable to no avail.

On various computers running Windows 10 I've had problems with devices not being recognized after an OS update. So far, I've been able to correct the problems by uninstalling the driver and then allowing Windows to re-discover the device and re-install the driver. Usually I do this through Device Manager, but you should be able to achieve the same result by uninstalling Garmin Express, and then re-install it.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

On my Dell computer, I discovered my USB ports would turn off to save energy (I guess). Changing the setting to "Always On" helped in many cases w/updates.
    J Goertz
    BMW MOAL
    2015 BMW R1200RT
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    My experience has been that it seems to be an issue with the Garmin USB port not being recognized very quickly when connected to the PC or my Surface. Sometimes it will recognize the GPS within 1-3 seconds, but more often than not if will take 10-50 seconds and many times it can be 1-15 minutes!!! Kind of frustrating, and my two Garmin GPS units are the only things that seem to do that regularily. Other items emmory sticks, etc., usually connect and are recognized almost immediately, but Garmins seem to be difficult that way.

Hopefully, yours will work if you just leave it and walk away to do something else for a while.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - MOA Charter Club #097, BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: '14 R1200RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

*update*

SUCCESS - I was able to utilize Garmin Express on a old Dell running Windows 7. Go figure. It would be nice if Garmin would update their hardware possibilities for utilizing Garmin Express.

Is your pc a surface pro 3? I've heard of USB issues with some version of the microsoft surface pro 3 affecting usb connected devices.
    The issue, from what I recall was with the surface pro 3 usb driver, nothing to do with Garmin.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Quote Originally Posted by patm View Post
    Is your pc a surface pro 3? I've heard of USB issues with some version of the microsoft surface pro 3 affecting usb connected devices.
    The issue, from what I recall was with the surface pro 3 usb driver, nothing to do with Garmin.
    I'm running a MS Surface Book with Windows 10 Pro.

Garmin Express - Hardware

Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDTN57 View Post
    It would be nice if Garmin would update their hardware possibilities for utilizing Garmin Express.
    I've been using Garmin Express on various Apple CPUs running OSX to update all my GPS toys for years. Works fine.

(The maintenance CD-ROM for my 2010 K1300S on the other hand, is Windows-read only. I have to go to the University library to find a Windows machine to look at anything. The GS-911 was similar - the reason I did not even consider buying one until they released the operating system-agnostic WIFI version.)
    "Soló el que ensaya lo absurdo es capaz de conquistar lo imposible." Miguel de Unamuno 1905

Mark - Las Cruces, NM - '10 K1300S and '17 R1200 GSA

9. 05-28-2018, 07:52 PM
    Reason
    Not relevant

Also check for an update for Garmin Express.

I just did and there was one, which I installed.

You won't be able to update your Nav V unless you have the latest version of Garmin Express installed.
    Last edited by AKsuited; 05-29-2018 at 09:27 PM.
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)