• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Riding vacation Colorado

sb955i

Hi Everyone,
my wife and I decided on a ride out to Colorado in Jul. I'm riding from Ontario (via Chicago south, Omaha, straight shot). She'll fly out and meet me in Denver. There for about 10 days. Riding an RT so staying on the hard stuff.

Thinking of staying mostly in the mountains, but might head down to Shiprock, Mesa verde etc if the weather isn't too crazy hot. Thoughts? Would further Utah sightseeing be too hot?

Looking for advice on rides/roads/accommodations/Must-see's.

Much appreciated (eh!) :thumb

I suggest day rides out of Dillon(Pikes Peak, Rocky Mtn. Park), Ouray(Million Dollar Hwy, Durango, Mesa Verde), and Gunnison (Black Canyon, Crested Butte).

I suggest day rides out of Dillon(Pikes Peak, Rocky Mtn. Park), Ouray(Million Dollar Hwy, Durango, Mesa Verde), and Gunnison (Black Canyon, Crested Butte).

Thank you. P.Peak was on my list, and I had Gunnison down as well from reading a few touring articles on it. If you have hwy #'s and ride times, that would definitely help with schedule planning. Much appreciated. Just booked my Denver in/out hotels for the flights in/out. Coming together !

Is Vail/Aspen/Breckinridge/Montrose worth visiting? crowds?

We're trying to keep daily mileage reasonable so we get off the bike and do some walking about each day. Say around 3 hrs/day riding..

Mesa verde etc if the weather isn't too crazy hot. Thoughts? Would further Utah sightseeing be too hot?

Western Colorado and southern Utah will be hot in July.
In 2014 it was 100F on hwy 141 south of Gateway the third week of July.
If it's not hot while you're there, 141 through Gateway is fun with big sweepers.

P1010916.jpg

One road we like I don't see mentioned often is hwy 149 from South Fork to hwy 50 west of Gunnison.
Check out the little town of Creede and stop at the waterfall between Spring Creek pass and Slumgullion Pass.
Name of the falls is North Clear Creek Falls. You need to watch for the sign or you'll miss it.
Google shows the falls is 27 miles north of Creede.
P1010946.jpg

Picture of Creede.
P1000940.jpg

Last edited:
A big loop would be like Gunisson, Montrose, Delta, Whitewater (141) Gateway, Naturita Placerville (145), Telluride, Cortez, Durango (550), Silverton and Ouray... YMMV Have fun!

Thanks for the links and advice. Wife and I did a test ride this weekend to make sure everything fits, saddle is comfortable, we have the endurance etc. Looks like we're both a bit less able to ride long distances than we once were, but 200 miles a ride should be possible if we have to.

Now I have to figure out Basecamp and get these stops into some sort of trip plan.

Thanks so much everyone. Keep em coming if you think of anything else..
scb

some road recommendations

I live in Gunnison and get to ride some of the country's best roads:

Highway 92 - from west of Gunnison to Hotchkiss. One turn after another, speeds of 25 and up, never saw police (but I've heard of it), not many cars

Highway 149 - from Lake City to Creed - first 1/2 or so is great turns, beautiful.

Highway 133 - McClure pass - Carbondale to Hotchkiss, beautiful pass, some traffic but not bad, probably lots of police if you're inclined to speeding

Highway 114 - east of Gunnison to Saguache, great turns, beautiful, not much traffic

I70 - is actually pretty cool, highspeed riding if the traffic doesn't bother you.

You can ride a dirt road - Kebler Pass - Crested Butte to Highway 133 (McClure Pass) - if you need to, just stay off it if it is wet, you'll be muddy. I did it on my FJR no problem.

Cotrip.org has up to the minute road info in case a big storm passes through, sometimes we do get snow until mid June.

Beware of Buena Vista to Poncha Springs, H50, I see cops there ALL the time and the speed changes for no discernable reason, like from 60 to 55. I see lots of cars pulled over.

If you need service in Gunnison, I'd recommend Gunnison Motorsports. It's a dirt bike shop but the mechanic is very good imo and they're honest. In Montrose Davis Service Center seems to have a good rep from what little I know. There is a BMW/Harley/KTM shop in Grand Junction, don't know if they're any good.

Have good rain gear. Getting wet in our freezing mountain rain is no joke. It's not a relatively warm rain like I guess you might find in the East or Midwest.

During a rain storm, the roads and particular left corners with the mountain on the right, can get dirt and even rocks (sometimes big ones) so ride aware.

Stay away from the entire front range (Ft. Collins to CO Springs) and especially Denver, at anything like rush hour. The last 3 times I've been there wrecks caused delays, and it's scary riding, but I'm a wimp.

I live in Gunnison and get to ride some of the country's best roads:

Highway 114 - east of Gunnison to Saguache, great turns, beautiful, not much traffic

We have stayed in Gunnison a couple times and taken 114 as part of a day ride and it's a blast.
I like the first part along the creek south of hwy 50 the most.

Colorado

Colorado 149 from South Fork to US 50 is a must, then take the northern loop 92 going west at The Black Canyon of the Gunnison off of US 50 at Sapinero. Also Mount Evans ride is great. Highest paved road in Colorado.

Thank you all for the information!

Hi All: I really appreciate the roads to take in Colorado information. I am planning my first long ride this year before the our Rally in Des Moines (first full year back since a many year layoff between riding). I am coming from Michigan and plan to do an Iron Butt ride to Sidney NE for my first day. From there, I will head down to Colorado to ride several days before heading to the Iowa event.

Beware of Buena Vista to Poncha Springs, H50, I see cops there ALL the time and the speed changes for no discernable reason, like from 60 to 55. I see lots of cars pulled over.

US 285 from Denver to Santa Fe is a nice ride. Also, I second the above advice. I once got two tickets the same day. The first in Tres Piedras, New Mexico and the second on that stretch of road near Buena Vista, Colorado. As I recall, the first ticket was for 67 in a 55. The speed limit dropped passing by but not entering Tres Piedras. After that I was being very careful and still got ticketed for 57 in a 55 near Buena Vista.

Hi Everyone, just wanted to thank you all for helping me out. I'm still working on the itinerary. I had a bit of construction stuff to deal with last week so sorry if I didn't get back to everyone right away. But looking through this now and wanted to say thanks (eh!).
:ca

Thank you. P.Peak was on my list, and I had Gunnison down as well from reading a few touring articles on it. If you have hwy #'s and ride times, that would definitely help with schedule planning. Much appreciated. Just booked my Denver in/out hotels for the flights in/out. Coming together !

Is Vail/Aspen/Breckinridge/Montrose worth visiting? crowds?

We're trying to keep daily mileage reasonable so we get off the bike and do some walking about each day. Say around 3 hrs/day riding..
Mount Evans! Highest paved road in north America. If its clear the view is incredible.
Not as busy as pikes peak ( traffic can be tough go early)

US 285 from Denver to Santa Fe is a nice ride. Also, I second the above advice. I once got two tickets the same day. The first in Tres Piedras, New Mexico and the second on that stretch of road near Buena Vista, Colorado. As I recall, the first ticket was for 67 in a 55. The speed limit dropped passing by but not entering Tres Piedras. After that I was being very careful and still got ticketed for 57 in a 55 near Buena Vista.

A ticket for two miles over??? Talk about pathetic :violin That LEO must be going through a divorce...

Lots of good CO feedback

The thread has reached the "too long" stage, but I'll throw my 2 cents in as a Colorado rider. Butler maps is one of the best sources to start your research for planning. Check the app CDOT for road construction!! Some great roads can be a nightmare of delays. Do the desert portions with very early starts and you'll be rewarded with epic vistas. Cheers and have a great ride!

DP

Back