• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

HexEZCan quit working

jkjohnson

My HexEZCan quit working, completely quit, nothing hooked to it works at all, UNLESS I connect a laptop to it, everything then works normally (e.g., high amperage air horn, aux lights, brake lights.) On 2017 R1200GS.
Any thoughts?

I've had it around 10 months--always has worked well. I have an email in to their support but have not heard back yet.

There is normal (12.8v) voltage downstream of the fused battery lead (e.g, it is getting power.)

My HexEZCan quit working, completely quit, nothing hooked to it works at all, UNLESS I connect a laptop to it, everything then works normally (e.g., high amperage air horn, aux lights, brake lights.) On 2017 R1200GS.
Any thoughts?

I've had it around 10 months--always has worked well. I have an email in to their support but have not heard back yet.

There is normal (12.8v) voltage downstream of the fused battery lead (e.g, it is getting power.)

Same thing is happening to me. I have a Gen I EzCan that I bought in 2017 from Ted Porter's Beemer Shop. First known occurrence happened last summer, but it cured itself the next day. Now it's happening again, and is not coming back. Like your experience, it works fine when hooked to the PC. Diagnostics check out perfectly. I've updated the EzCan to the latest software. No luck! Did you ever hear back from Hex? I have a service ticket in (late last Friday). Did you get a Gen II replacement or a Gen I? I'm going to hate having to rewire all my accessory connections. This is on my 2015 RT with RDC & DWS. One question I have (and can't find in the Hex docs), when working properly, does the green light on the EzCan illuminate when the PC is not connected?

Thanks for any enlightment anyone may provide.

One question I have (and can't find in the Hex docs), when working properly, does the green light on the EzCan illuminate when the PC is not connected?

Thanks for any enlightment anyone may provide.

I believe the indicator light is the same between the EZCan and the Denali Cansmart:

"Solid Green = Normal operation (Vehicle Ignition ON)
Slow Flashing Green = Normal operation (Vehicle Ignition OFF)
Quick Flashing Green = Bootloader Mode (Updating Firmware) - Connect to software to complete the update
Solid Red = Recovered from failure - Connect to software to complete the recovery
Flashing Red = Tripped Fuse - Cycle ignition to reset the fuse - If trips again connect to the software to increase the fuse value
Solid Green & Flashing Red = Application Firmware Corrupt - Connect to Software to update firmware
Solid Red & Solid Green = Device authentication failure - Device has been deactivated
Flashing Red & Flashing Green = Data fault - missing CANbus data - Confirm that you are connectedd to the correct CANbus port"

Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of failures with Gen 1 of both the HexEZcan and the Denali CANsmart. Some riders have noted that very cold temperatures will cause their units to die. Luckily, both companies seem to be stepping up and helping owners with their problems.

I went through a frustrating experience when my fog lights would go on/off randomly with no reason and no faults detected. The "fix" that I found was to disable the auxiliary power port, even though it had nothing connected and would work fine when something was connected, producing no faults.

Hopefully, my 5th EZCan unit will be the charm.

Hex reported that the issues had been traced back to a Potting Compound that caused issues at low temperatures.

The latest units apparently have a revision to the Potting Compound. I've got about 10,000 miles on my latest unti and it hasn't failed yet. Fingers crossed as cold weax has now arrived.

Administrator

HEXcode

Continuous improvement - increasing the reliability of the HEX ezCAN GEN-II
« on: April 06, 2021, 11:41:48 PM »
Over January we noticed a slight but noticeable increase in specific ezCAN failures. Albeit a small portion of the overall units, it was an uptick in failures highlighted by our trending. Although we have seen a small portion of similar failures the numbers were so low that previous investigations had failed to pinpoint the origins of the failures. Armed with more information at our disposal we launched a detailed investigation into the cause of the failures. As the initial investigation hinted at a possible hardware issue, we temporarily halted production, until such time as we had a definitive reason pointing to the origin of the failures.

The symptoms associated with this particular failure mode are ALL of the following:
The ezCAN is completely dead - no blinking LED, no permanent LED, irrespective whether ignition is ON and/or powered by USB
The physical 30A fuse has continuity and is in working order
No USB communication with the ezCAN from the PC/MAC software
No physical damage
We assembled as many of the failed units as possible. Every unit was put through our rigorous manufacturing test jigs. Additionally, many units were X-rayed. Internal physical damage was found in almost every single case. This was mostly contained to one component near the edge of the board where cracks could be seen between the pins of the component and the solder pads.

After thorough analysis of the data collected during the investigation, it was determined that the potting seemed to be the accelerating factor. Although not all potting or epoxies are suited for electronic components, the one that was in use was carefully chosen and complied to all the requirements, especially the shrinkage factor that so often leads to similar failures if the incorrect compound is used. It is our opinion that the shrinkage due to the colder than usual winter was a contributing factor that highlighted the interaction between several individually otherwise well-suited parts. We are of the opinion that it is not the potting compound per se, but a combination of the different shrinkage constants between the aluminium housing, its form and the potting epoxy that cause the forces on the component level to increase around the rounded edges of the housing where the shrinkage of the aluminium translates to a maximum physical deviation. This conforms to the physical failures we see on the component level on the edges of the PCB, nearest to the rounding of the housing.

We could replicate the failure symptoms on some ezCAN devices by super-cycling a sample of devices in our environmental chamber. This included high stress, accelerated tests (multiple hot to sub-freezing cycles per day), increasing the expansion and contraction forces on the devices. Naturally these fast cycles do not occur in the real world, but their extreme nature helped us to highlight the issues and verify the proposed fixes.

A clear fix was to replace the potting epoxy with a softer polyurethane type. Various products were tested, and a suitable replacement was selected.

Devices manufactured with the new potting compound were put through the same accelerated super-cycle tests in our environmental chamber and we are highly satisfied with the results. Not a single unit failed the extreme cycle test.

We have asked our distributors to replace any GEN-II ezCAN failures that have failed with the above-mentioned failure symptoms, that were manufactured prior to the manufacturing update, irrespective of whether they are within their 2 year warranty period or not. These include only BMW, KTM and HD GEN-II devices sold prior to March 2021.

If you are an ezCAN customer affected such a failure, please contact your distributor.

Finally, there have been some rumours circulating that the GEN-II ezCAN has been discontinued and is being replaced with a GEN-3. Although a GEN-3 will most likely replace a GEN-II at some point in time, it will most certainly have to be conceived in concept first, then designed, refined and finally industrialised… and as we have just put incredible effort into increasing the reliability of the GEN-II devices, GEN-3 will not be anytime soon… if however you are waiting on something new, wait for some interesting accessories for your GEN-II ezCAN!

Whether you are traversing the Outback, crossing the Savannah, getting lost in Mongolia or finding your reflection in Lake Titicaca, your HEX ezCAN should serve you well! Be safe and enjoy the ride!

Stephan

http://forum.hexcode.co.za/forum/index.php/topic,3552.0.html

I had one that went over 100K with no issues, sold that bike and installed one on the replacement. Rode it in the rain (several hours of continuous rain, not just a sprinkle) and everything connected to it quit working. Dried out and all is well. Haven't done another ride like that so don't know if it was a one-off or a defect.

I believe the indicator light is the same between the EZCan and the Denali Cansmart:

"Solid Green = Normal operation (Vehicle Ignition ON)
Slow Flashing Green = Normal operation (Vehicle Ignition OFF)
Quick Flashing Green = Bootloader Mode (Updating Firmware) - Connect to software to complete the update
Solid Red = Recovered from failure - Connect to software to complete the recovery
Flashing Red = Tripped Fuse - Cycle ignition to reset the fuse - If trips again connect to the software to increase the fuse value
Solid Green & Flashing Red = Application Firmware Corrupt - Connect to Software to update firmware
Solid Red & Solid Green = Device authentication failure - Device has been deactivated
Flashing Red & Flashing Green = Data fault - missing CANbus data - Confirm that you are connectedd to the correct CANbus port"

Thanks. I saw this info on the Hex site, but wasn't sure it was when the unit was in service or in configuration mode (connected to the PC). My unit's light is off unless the EzCan is connected to the PC.

Just received the following reply from Hex:

Thank you for contacting us.
I will need you to do a hard reset for me. This you can do by following these steps.Â

Disconnect the device from the bike’s RDC
Disconnect from the bike’s battery or simply remove the fuse.
Disconnect from the laptop as well.
Leave the device completely disconnected for around 10 minutes.
Once passed, connect to the laptop ONLY using the supplied USB cable or a different DATA USB cable ( a charging cable will not allow communication with the ezCAN ). Please also connect directly, and not through a USB hub.
This should allow communication between the ezCAN and the laptop, open the software and restore the device to defaults from the top right drop down corner > restore defaults.
Reconfigure the device as desired and reconnect the RDC/DWA/Diagnostic connector and battery. Proceed to test the ezCAN and connected accessories.

Unfortunately if these steps do not rectify the problem you will have to look at replacing the device with a GEN II device.Â
Kind regardsÂ
Jan

Unfortunately this did not fix my problem with my 4 yr old Gen I unit, so I'm ordering a new Gen II unit today. Oh, the joys of redoing the wiring!

Unfortunately this did not fix my problem with my 4 yr old Gen I unit, so I'm ordering a new Gen II unit today. Oh, the joys of redoing the wiring!

All I had to do was change the wiring side connectors from the originally supplied two lead plugs to the new three lead connectors. Took me about 30 minutes.

Had a call from Ted Porter (Beemershop guru), about 8:30pm tonight (Ted's working late!) He confirmed what I had already deduced -- if the hard reset didn't cure the problem, the unit was toast. And as Big John said, I'd need to redo the wiring connectors. I have all 4 circuits in use, so it may take me more than 30 minutes. Ted also said that the new Mar 2021 update of the Gen II unit has been bulletproof. Ted said that he had not had even one failure from these units. Now to see how long it takes the Beemershop and the USPS to get my unit from Cali to AL.

All I had to do was change the wiring side connectors from the originally supplied two lead plugs to the new three lead connectors. Took me about 30 minutes.

Great service from Ted Porter, Beemershop, and the USPS! I ordered my replacement Gen II Hex EzCan on 11/23. Beemershop mailed it via Priority Mail on 11/24. Received it early morning in a special mail run on 11/26! (Normal mail delivery for me is around 4pm). When it warmed up enough in the garage to work w/o a jacket, I removed the Gen I unit and installed the new Gen II. If Big John was able to do the switch in 30 minutes, I applaud him! W/o encountering any problems, I probably spent about 3.5 hours doing the swap, including configuring the Auax lights. (I have Denali D1's under the mirrors, controlled by circuits 1 & 2, Denali B6 brakelights -- 3 strips -- below and on both sides of the tag, and B6 DRls amber mounted on the front forks)

But it's installed, and I'm ready to ride again!

Back