• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F800 GS Dashboard/USB/Switch Console

libertymachine

Just wanted to pop in for a bit and let people know how I'm progressing on a project I'm working on. I've made a few tweaks to it and I'm nearing the first batch for completion. Relative, I suppose, as there is still some work to be done.

For starters, I'm not at all keen on the finish left by the waterjet. I'm going to put these parts in a fixture in my mill and machine the perimeter. Unless you guys are all "oh heck, it looks fine"
I'm talking to a laser fab shop a few towns over and I'm going to see what they can give me for edge quality on future runs

I also need to get these out to anodize. Hoping to send them over on Monday morning. Color will be black.

I made 15 with and 15 without holes. I had enough people PM from other forums asking me for blank ones.

I only opted to go with one 12v hole for now. Not a lot of DEEP room behind that area, but plenty for shallow things like switches and gauges.

This should fit all F650, F700 and F800 bikes
Yes, there is a GSA model in the works. I will certainly update this thread when it becomes available

IMG_1497.jpg
IMG_1496.jpg

Looks good :thumb
I think I would try one in a tumbler and see how things finish off.
Once you get rolling you can set yourself up in the Member Opportunities area with a nice display.
Good luck.
Gary

Yeah, this version was tumbled by the waterjet shop. The platers are going to do a light bead blast on the front face to make a more uniform appearance. I've found a laser shop a few towns over that's offered a reasonable price for a large quantity, but I do need to verify the edge quality first.

I will certainly move over to the Member Opportunities section once I've got something ready to sell. Just wanted to start getting the item out there, so to speak.

The GSA model is a little bit away. I've ordered the windhield and brace so I can mock the parts up accurately. They should be in hand over the next week or so.

Anodize will be black.

Maybe you can get yourself an OMAX of your own :) so you can customize the angle of cut. I'd be curious on how they looked before the tumble. Perhaps a touch-up with a Dynabrade air grinder. They are great for getting to the tight spots.
OM

Nice :thumb
Always nice to have a milling machine around.
Remember EASTEC? Was my favorite show.
OM

Yeah, I made it to last year's EASTEC. Was a decent show. Took the wife with me so she had some sense of what else was out there for equipment and whatnot.

I'll be heading out to IMTS this year. That's an awesome show. I went a couple years ago (man, time flies). I'm sure I'll come back with hundred ideas of what I can fit into my shop or how to improve a process or ten

Always nice to see the evolution in machining. HAAS has been featured heavily in NASCAR. Interesting to see raw stock entering a machine and a finished product leaving the machine.......producing complicated parts that 20 years ago would have taken days- in hours.
Glad it's working for you.
OM

Back