Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Stealth camping?

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasspicker View Post
    This is the site for you! I've stayed in some nice places using this,

https://freecampsites.net
    Indeed- that's the site for me! Thanks...I see googling gets other such directories :
    https://www.campendium.com/free-camping

your suggestion looks as good as any. Thanks

Small town cemeteries were one of my fav spots. Arrive late and ride to the back.
    Not really good for Friday/Saturday nights. Teenagers still want to bring their dates and cruise thru to scare them.

Houses and bldgs for sale if you can see the driveway hasn't been used in a while and you can get around back.

You an instant sleeper? I've used wooded medians of highways with good success. Just a little noisy if you are sensitive.

The only trouble I usually have is the neighborhood dog.... they always seem to find you no matter where you stop and they're always lookin' for a handout!

SS
    Yeeha! Stephen
    R1200RS, R1200RT, R1200R, (R1150RT = Donated To Charity)
    "Why eat a Burger when you can have Pie?!" Miss Vicki @ Lost Maples Cafe - Utopia Texas

I crossed the country once sleeping out behind the building in rest areas on freeways. But it was a long time ago. I have no idea how that would work out now.
    Will
    MOA #2607 - 2015 R1200R Cordoba Blue
    Previous: 1999 R1100RT Tundra Green • 1987 R100RT Grey • 1970 R60/5 Black • 196? Honda 305 Super Hawk • 195? Sears Allstate 50 cc Moped

When hard pressed, I've pulled into a fire station and asked to pitch out back for a night. Doesn't hurt to ask, and I've always found the person in charge that night to be accommodating once they found you were kinda stuck for a place and it was late.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

As the population increases and problems have occurred with squatters, drug addicts, gates left open and trash left behind it is now much harder to get permission. The perception of liability if something happens also works against you. Cemeteries increasingly get vandalized. Churches also have issues. We are becoming a nation of haters. I used to stealth camp, no longer even try. Sad sad sad state of affairs.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    It used to be considered for emergencies, not a cheap way to travel across the country.
    Id be thrilled if someone actually called and wanted to camp in my yard. I've been a member for 18 years and only once has anyone called. It was for a rescue and I was happy to help.
    I think now the route is open cell phone facebook and post if anyone nearby can help, but I like the anonymous book and think it's fine for cheap travel as long as the people are social and willing to reciprocate themself. Nowadays people camp more as a hobby than as a cheap way to travel, but Im all for cheap travel.
    1978 R100RS , 1983 R80RT, 1998 R1100RT, 2008 R1200GS, 2018 Z1000, 2018 FLHRC

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone but I know a guy fairly well who was once out of options on a thunderstormy night and he wheeled the bike into one of the outdoor shed buildings at a big box building supply store. He was leaving just as the store was opening the next day, but nobody chased him.
    Lee A. Dickinson - Danielsville, GA USA
    Airheads #3480 | Iron Butt Assn. #8914
    1976 R75/6 - 1992 R100RS - 1993 K1100RS - 2013 R1200GS