• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Stealth camping?

rick601

My son and I are starting a two week trip on Memorial Day weekend. (Unavoidable) I'm concerned about camping accommodations those first few nights. I am reluctant to reserve sites (if it's even possible now) because so many factors make knowing how far we'll get each day unpredictable. I was wondering if anyone has hints or stories of ad hoc (?) stealth (?) camping. I suppose motels are a possible last resort but we had wanted to camp as much as possible. I also have the anonymous book and wonder what the etiquette is in utilizing those offers-also if there is a website for it that makes finding members nearby easier than the book. FWIW we are aiming for somewhere within an hour or three of Elkhart that first night, but that's an ambitious first day's journey from Cooperstown NY! Thanks guys!

All I can say is that your tent better not be a bright colored one. Orange or yellow do tend to stick out like a sore thumb...:deal

If you do a search in the Elkhart area there are several campgrounds, We’ve stayed at Twin Mills resort with our travel trailer, $$$ but nice. It’s east of Elkhart near Howe. There is a nice state park called Potato Creek close to South Bend you might try. I would stop early in the day to increase your chances of finding an open site on a busy holiday weekend.

Our style of motorcycle over-landing consists of finding a place to camp about an hour before sunset. Most of the time we find something isolated and remote and sometimes we don't. We've never had a problem with stealth camping except in two cases in which we recognized we were in the wrong and moved along.

I also feel that stealth campers have a responsibility to leave the area EXACTLY as it was when you arrived. I'm talking everything - fire pit, trash, poop, toilet paper, etc. Pack it ALL out. When you leave it should be near impossible to determine that you were there short of some flat grass spots. Don't camp on private land. Be respectful. Don't be a pig. Keep your campsite tidy. Set up late and leave early. Don't be a jerk if you're called out for camping illegally. Move on.

This website seems to have some great tips of stealth camping:
https://bicycletouringpro.com/50-best-stealth-camping-tips/

Cheers,
Travis

Agreed, stealth camping requires the utmost respect with everything you do.

I haven’t been a member for very long but I think the anonymous book will tell you if calling for a spot to pitch a tent is ok.

ADV has a tent space signup thread where members post what they have to offer. I’m post #112 on there, many people use it to tour all over the continent, many options around the world.

Last edited:
I haven’5 been a member for very long but I think the anonymous book will tell you if calling for a spot to pitch a tent is ok.

It used to be considered for emergencies, not a cheap way to travel across the country.

There are lots of places in the vast west where stealth camping is easy, and often legal such as BLM land or National Forest land provided you get far enough off the road.

Another option is somewhat less stealthy. In more farm and ranch type country sometimes it simply pays to ask. "I noticed a nice shade tree about 1/4 north of here. I'd like to be able to pitch a tent and spend the night. I will leave no trace behind" he said after he knocked on the door.

I have to admit I have not done this in the past decade but it used to work pretty well.

It used to be considered for emergencies, not a cheap way to travel across the country.

That was kinda one of my "etiquette" wonderings, though I'd imagine the attitude of members runs from "Holler if you're in town" to "this better be a real emergency". In any event it would be a last resort (no pun intended..."resort")

There are lots of places in the vast west where stealth camping is easy, and often legal such as BLM land or National Forest land provided you get far enough off the road.

Another option is somewhat less stealthy. In more farm and ranch type country sometimes it simply pays to ask. "I noticed a nice shade tree about 1/4 north of here. I'd like to be able to pitch a tent and spend the night. I will leave no trace behind" he said after he knocked on the door.

I have to admit I have not done this in the past decade but it used to work pretty well.

We also have land owners with guns and also lots of Native American reservations where stealth camping is not tolerated. I would be sure to get permission before pitching a tent anywhere.

I wouldn’t necessarily thinking of calling on people for a place to pitch a tent as looking for a cheap way to travel, I don’t think there are many begpackers on this site. I don’t mind paying for sites but I pretty much hate worn out campgrounds filled with noisy children and partyers.

In Newfoundland it is legal to camp anywhere that is not private property which means about 90% of the world’s 13 biggest island is fair game. :)

Small town cemeteries were one of my fav spots. Arrive late and ride to the back.
Not really good for Friday/Saturday nights. Teenagers still want to bring their dates and cruise thru to scare them.

Houses and bldgs for sale if you can see the driveway hasn't been used in a while and you can get around back.

You an instant sleeper? I've used wooded medians of highways with good success. Just a little noisy if you are sensitive.

The only trouble I usually have is the neighborhood dog.... they always seem to find you no matter where you stop and they're always lookin' for a handout!

SS

I crossed the country once sleeping out behind the building in rest areas on freeways. But it was a long time ago. I have no idea how that would work out now.

When hard pressed, I've pulled into a fire station and asked to pitch out back for a night. Doesn't hurt to ask, and I've always found the person in charge that night to be accommodating once they found you were kinda stuck for a place and it was late.

As the population increases and problems have occurred with squatters, drug addicts, gates left open and trash left behind it is now much harder to get permission. The perception of liability if something happens also works against you. Cemeteries increasingly get vandalized. Churches also have issues. We are becoming a nation of haters. I used to stealth camp, no longer even try. Sad sad sad state of affairs.

Rod

Back