• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hard Panniers for the G310

lee

Debbie's Servant
I was at Engle Motors in KC today and noticed they had Hepco Becker hard bags on the G310 GS.
Looked like a nice setup.
Price is around $500 with mounts.

310 Panniers (2).jpg

310 Panniers (1).jpg

310 Panniers (3).jpg

I just today got the mounts for Shad bags for our G310GS bikes. The bags themselves will arrive next Tuesday or Wednesday - they had been back ordered.

I got the smallest of three sizes, and those particular bags are top loading which I much prefer to the suitcase style.

The mounts arrived about noon today but since it was 101F I decided to wait until the morning to install the mounts. I will post photos of the mounts and how they attach, and then more when the bags arrive next week.

Pricing: Mounts = $192 Bags = $224 Shipping from Miami = $37 Total per bike = $454 to our door.

p.s. Had I known Engles had the H-B bags I probably would have bought those because I prefer to support "my dealer" even though they are over 1,000 miles away. But I already ordered the Shad bags so that is what the bikes get.

... Had I known Engles had the H-B bags I probably would have bought those because I prefer to support "my dealer" ...

Way to go, Paul and Voni!

BTW, Mike and the rest of the gang at Engle's (I was there yesterday also) send their regards to you.

Good to see there's already two options for hard bag, plus the two BMW top cases.

Jenny Morgan is criss crossing the countryside on one doing some long term testing on road and off. She’s running super light with a Giant Loop coyote setup if I remember the model correctly. She’s also involved with Rally Raid UK that is doing some mods, namely wheels and suspension to start. She’s already a few K in and has some really good insight. She’s Jmo & piglet on ADV, go find her current RR if you want some real workd info about this bike.

I mounted the Shad bag mounts on both of our 310s this morning. A bag of capscrews, washers, spacers and one nut was provided for each set. Because of differences between models I assume, they provided lots of hardware bits. I used less than half the hardware provided. Unpacking, sorting, reading, etc took far longer than it took to mount the bag mounts. Bike number one took over an hour. Bike #2 took 10 minutes.

I will post a photo or two later.

Shad luggage on G310 GS

Paul, you wrote that you got the top load Shad panniers for your new GS. Are they working out OK? Have you posted pics yet? I just purchased my GS and am shopping - I have had good luck with Shad.

BTW, we met you and Vonnie in Branson in, maybe 2002-3. You are quite the couple. “Helen Two Wheels” was recovering from her accident and Ardys (RIP) was doing 100 mile rides before breakfast! You all ROCK!

Steve Oliver
1100RS
1150RS
1200RT
310GS

Paul, you wrote that you got the top load Shad panniers for your new GS. Are they working out OK? Have you posted pics yet? I just purchased my GS and am shopping - I have had good luck with Shad.

BTW, we met you and Vonnie in Branson in, maybe 2002-3. You are quite the couple. “Helen Two Wheels” was recovering from her accident and Ardys (RIP) was doing 100 mile rides before breakfast! You all ROCK!

Steve Oliver
1100RS
1150RS
1200RT
310GS

The bags work well. Shad makes them in three sizes to fit the 310 mounts. These are the smallest of the three. I really prefer top mount. When we have camping gear in bags on the seats it takes a little moving to open the bags but that is only a small portion of our time/miles.

Attachments

• IMG_1673.jpg
    IMG_1673.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Paul is the pink piece a centerstand on Voni's bike?

The pink is a painted line on the pavement, but the red just above it is indeed a centerstand. It came black but got painted red before I installed it. The one on my bike remained black. :) On her bike the side of the centerstand shown in the photo is a little splattered with chain lube so it doesn't seem quite as red as it is. It matches the bags.

The pink is a painted line on the pavement, but the red just above it is indeed a centerstand. It came black but got painted red before I installed it. The one on my bike remained black. :) On her bike the side of the centerstand shown in the photo is a little splattered with chain lube so it doesn't seem quite as red as it is. It matches the bags.

Thanks Paul. Is a centerstand available through BMW now, or is it aftermarket?

We ordered a center stand for my wife's 310GS from Revzilla and got it installed. I think it was 221.95 which includes shipping. I haven't been able to find one for my G310R.

We ordered a center stand for my wife's 310GS from Revzilla and got it installed. I think it was 221.95 which includes shipping. I haven't been able to find one for my G310R.

The bikes appear to share a frame - so a GS center stand should work with shortened legs.

Do you have a picture from the back?
What size are the side bags?

Close your eyes.

20180727_082704-M.jpg

These will impair lane splitting somewhat. On the bright side, the top case doesn't interfere with opening the side cases.

Top case: 30 liters. Side cases: 36 liters each (I would have liked something in the 25-30 liter range, but...).

Back