Thread: Top case re key

Top case re key

I just purchased a used factory small top case. I was wondering if it would be possible to key it to work with my original key. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by lubedude View Post
    I just purchased a used factory small top case. I was wondering if it would be possible to key it to work with my original key. Any thoughts?
    I have to say yes, all new cases must be keyed to match. I'd ask my dealer

Jay

There are a few videos om YouTube that show you how to do it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHGugjLQ-44
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU6Sn_6Ge8M
    BMWMOA #62 / BMWRA #77
    2009 K1300 GT
    1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
    1990 Kawasaki ZX600R

Quote Originally Posted by lubedude View Post
    Yes, but it's very helpful if the seller provided a key or had the lock removed before shipping the top case.

I purchased a used BMW small top case for my R1200RS this winter and asked the service manager at Engle Motors before the purchase if he could rekey the lock if a key was not provided with the top box.

He told me if I received the top box with the lock removed he would rekey the lock for no charge.

I'm guessing if the top box was shipped without a key or the lock removed, it's going to take extra work.

My reply probably does not help you, but it may help others when buying used BMW panniers or top boxes.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Yes

Howdy,
    Yes you can get the lock rekeyed even if you do not have the correct key for the locks current configuration. The hardest part is getting it out . There's an access hole on the lower 1/2 of the trunk above the tumbler. Once removed using one of the tools mentioned/made in some of the U tube videos you have to depress the last tumbler. That's what holds the lock set in the trunk. Never remove the key from the tumbler without taping it up once removed. That will keep the little springs from flying all over the place.
    Later,
    Norm
    You'll never see America from 30,000 feet or an interstate.

Did you get the small 28L top case? If so, there really isnít a way to get the lock cylinder out without taking the case apart. The access hole on the right side would be where you would normally access the locking tab on the cylinder, but the way it is designed, you canít get to the locking tab. I have rejected 4 or 5 if these now and tried diligently every time to figure out away to get to the locking tab...only to succumb to the fact that I had to take it apart. So that being said, once the lock cylinder is out, you can insert your key and take a file to the tabs (not the last one , itís the tab that holds it in place) and smooth them down even with the cylinder. Reinsert and your done. I had a thread about this a few years ago...Iíll try to find it and post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brian Hinton
    2007 R1200R
    2007 K1200GT
    1987 K75T

I found the write-up I did a few years ago when I disassembled my small topcase to remove the lock cylinder. PM your e-mail address and I'll send you my write-up.

Sorry, no pics!
    J Goertz
    BMW MOAL
    2015 BMW R1200RT
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE

Consult a Locksmith

My new topbox had no key (long story). My local locksmith said he couldn't make my ignition key work, but he knew someone who could (another locksmith). The fellow who did it took over an hour as he had never worked on one of those, but he said in the first five minutes, "I can do it, but it will take a while." Several hours later he called back and said it was done and it was. I did show him the two youtube videos listed in this thread. He also called our local BMW dealer to offer his services.
    720.231-3101
    graybuckley@gmail.com