Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Custom Ballistic Nylon chaps question

Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post

I'd think there's some well heeled down to earth Beemers guys and gals here who armor up according to locale, traffic, off and on road conditions and anything in between. One makes their choices and lives or dies with those same choices. It's not my life to live, it's theirs. It's also theirs to die if they so choose on two wheels.
    I agree. Helmet is 100%, even just moving the bike from the house to the carport. Voni makes me do that! Gloves 99%. Aerostich jacket 98%. Riding pants 98% including Aerostich Roadcafter, some First Gear vented pants, and some Kevlar lined jeans with knee armor. Boots 99% of the time but they might be my cowboy boots.

I have, and occasionally use, a First Gear mesh jacket when it is the 80s or low 90s and the ride is short. On real trips or our all-summer rideabouts I don't wear mesh because it is too likely to promote dehydration. I am more inclined to use partially mesh pants even on trips when temps are between 70 and 94. Above or below that it is the Roadcrafter pants for me. That 94 degree F temp is my normal skin temperature so air warmer than that is warming, not cooling even if I sweat a bit.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I agree. Helmet is 100%, even just moving the bike from the house to the carport. Voni makes me do that! Gloves 99%. Aerostich jacket 98%. Riding pants 98% including Aerostich Roadcafter, some First Gear vented pants, and some Kevlar lined jeans with knee armor. Boots 99% of the time but they might be my cowboy boots.

I have, and occasionally use, a First Gear mesh jacket when it is the 80s or low 90s and the ride is short. On real trips or our all-summer rideabouts I don't wear mesh because it is too likely to promote dehydration. I am more inclined to use partially mesh pants even on trips when temps are between 70 and 94. Above or below that it is the Roadcrafter pants for me. That 94 degree F temp is my normal skin temperature so air warmer than that is warming, not cooling even if I sweat a bit.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    Hey patm,
    They are PU backed, but he hose test and soak test allowed water to get to the inside. Do you think that makes a difference in what spray [ like nikwax ] I should stray away from? Maker mentioned anything chemical based would degrade the PU and make them worse.

Seam sealers are a good options if I decide to try any of the waterproofing sprays. At this point, I may just wear the rain pants under the chaps but over the carharts. I understand from the testing and research and others that the sprays are a temp band aid fix at best.

Thanks
    Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been gone for the long weekend.

If the material is PU backed, it shouldn't need to be sprayed, it should be waterproof. If the material leaks, it isn't waterproof and Nikwax or other sealants will render it water repellent for a while.
    However, any holes you create in the waterproof material, by cutting and stitching, will leak if you don't use seam tape while sowing the pieces together. That is why I suggested seam sealer. I remember using it on tents, backpacks and jackets, way back when.

The results were good, it lasted for a while but aesthetically speaking it was kind of ugly. We were young and we didn't care. LOL
    Maybe there are newer compounds that are easier to apply or have better aesthetic results, I don't know. I haven't used the stuff in years. But that is the only thing I can think of that will render the stitching waterproof.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Quote Originally Posted by patm View Post
    Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been gone for the long weekend.

If the material is PU backed, it shouldn't need to be sprayed, it should be waterproof. If the material leaks, it isn't waterproof and Nikwax or other sealants will render it water repellent for a while.
    However, any holes you create in the waterproof material, by cutting and stitching, will leak if you don't use seam tape while sowing the pieces together. That is why I suggested seam sealer. I remember using it on tents, backpacks and jackets, way back when.

The results were good, it lasted for a while but aesthetically speaking it was kind of ugly. We were young and we didn't care. LOL
    Maybe there are newer compounds that are easier to apply or have better aesthetic results, I don't know. I haven't used the stuff in years. But that is the only thing I can think of that will render the stitching waterproof.
    Thanks Pat, I've got the seam sealer for the tent already, might try that on the chaps on the inside and see how that works out as I have it.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr