• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Custom Ballistic Nylon chaps question

brownie0486

https://www.coloradochaps.com/

Just received my custom made ballistic nylon chaps. Had two 3/4" reflective stripes sewn on the outside of both legs for visibility. 132.00 delivered. Had Lorna relief cut the crotch some to give me better breathing room and not be cut so close to the top of the leg which tends to bind when seated on a bike. 1050 Denier ballistic nylon is the material.

One large pocket in the front of each legging, that I had her custom pleat so there's easier access to it while seated/riding and certainly while standing. The pocket fits a J7 Android phone with protector perfectly [ to give people a sense of proportion.

My question to the members is this:

She says they are basically water resistant but not fully water proof because the threads where she sews will allow water to enter.

What sealer/spray would you use if you wanted to make them waterproof at the sew seems and maybe the zippers [ though the zippers are well protected by a flap from the elements ].

I'm thinking beeswax stick run over the stitching might be best, but if there's a spray people use that's worked, I'm all ears. What say the members?

Last edited:
https://www.coloradochaps.com/

Just received my custom made ballistic nylon chaps. Had two 3/4" reflective stripes sewn on the outside of both legs for visibility. 132.00 delivered. Had Lorna relief cut the crotch some to give me better breathing room and not be cut so close to the top of the leg which tends to bind when seated on a bike. 1050 Denier ballistic nylon is the material.

One large pocket in the front of each legging, that I had her custom pleat so there's easier access to it while seated/riding and certainly while standing. The pocket fits a J7 Android phone with protector perfectly [ to give people a sense of proportion.

My question to the members is this:

She says they are basically water resistant but not fully water proof because the threads where she sews will allow water to enter.

What sealer/spray would you use if you wanted to make them waterproof at the sew seems and maybe the zippers [ though the zippers are well protected by a flap from the elements ].

I'm thinking beeswax stick run over the stitching might be best, but if there's a spray people use that's worked, I'm all ears. What say the members?
Iron on seam seal tape (inside the seams) then use a DWR product on the outside.

I think water resistant is sufficient. The threads will swell a bit if they get wet and there is no real pressure to drive the water through. How far are you likely to ride in a heavy rain wearing chaps? Last resort, keep a Ziploc sandwich bag in your pocket.

Chaps

Consider buying some real riding pants that are waterproof or GoreTex lined if you are concerned about staying dry in the rain. What don't chaps cover?? Your groin, hips and ass. I like all those parts of my body, they all provide useful functions. :thumb For the same price you paid for chaps you can get a real pair of pants. Save the chaps for riding horses through mesquite, that is what they were designed for doing. BUT, it's your ass (literally) on the ground so do what ever you think is best for you. :scratch

Friedle
ATGATT

Consider buying some real riding pants that are waterproof or GoreTex lined if you are concerned about staying dry in the rain. What don't chaps cover?? Your groin, hips and ass. I like all those parts of my body, they all provide useful functions. :thumb For the same price you paid for chaps you can get a real pair of pants. Save the chaps for riding horses through mesquite, that is what they were designed for doing. BUT, it's your ass (literally) on the ground so do what ever you think is best for you. :scratch

Friedle
ATGATT

I've been taken off a bike at 65 mph and survived wearing dungarees and a T shirt. The protection the ballistic nylon affords my legs is as protective as the ranger jacket that has ce2 armor in critical areas.

This isn't my first rodeo or ride. And come to find out, these chaps are waterproof as they are PU ballistic nylon. At 65mph, taking the ride 147 feet on pavement, I broke bones, had skin removed from the ride on the tar and all the clothes ripped from my body. Now wearing armored jackets and these chaps, I'm confident I've got enough protection. As for getting those areas wet you mentioned, I'm not the wicked witch of the west and don't melt when I get wet.

I happen to NOT like gore tex products. I chose boots that are fully waterproof and not gore tex. I chose a jacket that's not gore tex and fully waterproof, and I chose the chaps because they are NOT gore tex. You ride in what you like, I'll do the same, but there's no reason to talk to me like I'm some snot nosed kid that doesn't know what's available and clueless about what I choose to wear or on my first rodeo here. I've got 49 years of riding behind me and hold iron butt status with the longest 24 hour trip at 1250 miles.

As for chaps made for mesquite, chaps are worn by many people who've never seen mesquite all over the country who ride horses. Try to find one of those mesquites in Vt, or NH, or a host of other states where horse people where chaps regularly while riding their horses.

Gore-tex is made from the highly toxic, extremely persistent group of chemicals called perfluorochemicals (PFCs). Also used in Teflon, Stainmaster and Scotchgard. No thank you on wearing gore tex with the above knowledge.

Real pair of pants? Really? Chaps aren't pants to begin with. And I'll be wearing carharts under the chaps, something else you may not choose to wear yourself. . :dunno

Last edited:
I think water resistant is sufficient. The threads will swell a bit if they get wet and there is no real pressure to drive the water through. How far are you likely to ride in a heavy rain wearing chaps? Last resort, keep a Ziploc sandwich bag in your pocket.

:thumb If it gets that bad, I'll wear the rain pants under the chaps. I can do 1K a day if I have to wearing the chaps. They aren't in the least restrictive the way I had them cut for me. We could see heavy rain every day for hours where we're going, or run into and out of heavy downpours all day long. I just don't want to ride in rain gear all day or stop to change in and out of it all the time.

PTFE vs pfc

I've been taken off a bike at 65 mph and survived wearing dungarees and a T shirt. The protection the ballistic nylon affords my legs is as protective as the ranger jacket that has ce2 armor in critical areas.

This isn't my first rodeo or ride. And come to find out, these chaps are waterproof as they are PU ballistic nylon. At 65mph, taking the ride 147 feet on pavement, I broke bones, had skin removed from the ride on the tar and all the clothes ripped from my body. Now wearing armored jackets and these chaps, I'm confident I've got enough protection. As for getting those areas wet you mentioned, I'm not the wicked witch of the west and don't melt when I get wet.

I happen to NOT like gore tex products. I chose boots that are fully waterproof and not gore tex. I chose a jacket that's not gore tex and fully waterproof, and I chose the chaps because they are NOT gore tex. You ride in what you like, I'll do the same, but there's no reason to talk to me like I'm some snot nosed kid that doesn't know what's available and clueless about what I choose to wear or on my first rodeo here. I've got 49 years of riding behind me and hold iron butt status with the longest 24 hour trip at 1250 miles.

As for chaps made for mesquite, chaps are worn by many people who've never seen mesquite all over the country who ride horses. Try to find one of those mesquites in Vt, or NH, or a host of other states where horse people where chaps regularly while riding their horses.

Gore-tex is made from the highly toxic, extremely persistent group of chemicals called perfluorochemicals (PFCs). Also used in Teflon, Stainmaster and Scotchgard. No thank you on wearing gore tex with the above knowledge.

Real pair of pants? Really? Chaps aren't pants to begin with. And I'll be wearing carharts under the chaps, something else you may not choose to wear yourself. . :dunno

Gore-Tex uses Teflon which is PTFE, not PFC. PFC toxicity is well documented from industrial transformer usage. Teflon has been used in medical implants for decades and is USDA approved for food and Dairy direct contact. It is one of the least toxic polymers available when used below 390 degrees F.
Ballistic nylon will provide only a few minutes of water repellency before it soaks thru in any significant rain. Camp dry or scotch guard which both contain Teflon, might gain you a few more minutes before the water penetrates.

Gore-Tex uses Teflon which is PTFE, not PFC. PFC toxicity is well documented from industrial transformer usage. Teflon has been used in medical implants for decades and is USDA approved for food and Dairy direct contact. It is one of the least toxic polymers available when used below 390 degrees F.
Ballistic nylon will provide only a few minutes of water repellency before it soaks thru in any significant rain. Camp dry or scotch guard which both contain Teflon, might gain you a few more minutes before the water penetrates.

https://www.gore-tex.com/pfcgoal

From the horses mouth themselves. Christian Langer, member of the Gore Fabrics Divisional Leadership Team

:thumb

Iron on seam seal tape (inside the seams) then use a DWR product on the outside.

:thumb I tested the material tonight under high pressure garden hose, failed. Then tested in a sink of water, failed as well. The DWR will be applied as suggested and I'd researched, still deciding which product will be better than another. Tests jump all over the place with the same 5-6 products. Atsko seems about as good as any other.

Friedle
ATGATT

I wondered the same thoughts?!

If protection AND waterproofing is the goal, there are many good riding pants on the market to gain membership in the ATGATT club.

I and my SO wear a pair of TourMaster ballistic pants that get thru frog-choking rain and still keep us dry. Less than $$$ a pair.

But we'd look silly on horseback with them. For that, I'd wear chaps. :dance

I never understood how chaps and motorcycles came together, they leave a lot of critical space unprotected. Go buy a horse.

I never understood how chaps and motorcycles came together, they leave a lot of critical space unprotected. Go buy a horse.

Likely 90% of all motorcycle riders wear nothing more than T shirts and dungarees in the summer. Do you chastise 90% of the riders who wear no protection as well?

Chaps protect the legs, ballistic nylon chaps are highly abrasion resistant and soften the impact, unlike dungarees. They also provide warm in colder weather besides keeping debris from nicking/banging shins.

In fact, I owned horses at one time, but THIS subject is about ballistic nylon chaps being waterproof and what products may further make them waterproof/water resistant, not the merits of wearing or not wearing chaps on a motorcycle. If YOU don't like chaps and think they aren't what you'd wear, great. I happen to like them, having gotten accustomed to them keeping my legs warmer in the cold climates of fall/winter/early spring in New England.

Now, if you've got something constructive to offer about how to further waterproof the ballistic nylon, I'm all ears. If not, I'd appreciate everyone including YOU, who seems to want to take this off topic with opinions on wearing them to begin with which doesn't add any value to the question posed, sit back and relax. I didn't join BMWMOA or this forum to be chastised for my choice of apparel.

I asked a question, if someone has something of value to add to the topic at hand, please, by all means let me know what you'd recommend for waterproofing. Go buy a horse adds NO value to the thread title and question asked.

chaps

Jon, chaps only look cool if you are auditioning for the Village People ! On a motorcycle, they are a less than fully formed thought. :)

Friedle

Back