Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sedalia Heat PTSD

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    One of the tricks I learned on our rides over the years is to, when faced with an approaching nasty storm in an urban or sub-urban area, search for Car Wash on the GPS. Nobody washes their cars in a storm and those self-serve car washes make great places to take shelter from the storm. Of course there are areas like the north side of Lake Superior where the only option is to ride it out...
    That is an excellent idea!
    In rural Oklahoma there are storm shelters built from guard rails and they are sturdy enough to weather a storm in with your bike. I found a few of them during the TAT ride a number of years ago and sheltered in one of them during a nasty T-storm.
    I don't know how they would do in a tornado but anything is better than being out in the open...
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2017 R1200RT White
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The Mid West knows how to put on a good thunder storm
    Yes, I love to watch a good Midwest thunderstorm, from a nice dry safe place. Better to find someplace safe too soon rather than too late. Don't be a hero.

Be safe

Rod

Hydration! Hydration!

Keeping ahead of de-hydration is extremely important when riding on a hot day, with high humidity or dry heat. The best way to keep hydrated is with a water bladder hydration pack. Just keep sipping every few minutes. The water may get warm, but it is still wet and will keep up with your losses of water due to sweating and convection from wind. Drinking electrolytes (Gatorade, sports drinks) at gas stops is important too, but don't rely solely or you will over-electrolyte. Also start the day with a bottle of water to get a head start. (especially if enjoying adult beverages the night before, as alcohol contributes to dehydration). Coffee and soft drinks do NOT contribute to hydration, but generally work against it.
    Hank Pfister
    Copper Hill, VA
    pfestus1@yahoo.com
    2007 R1200GS, 1973 R75/5/Dnepr, 1984 R100RS/Motovation.
    www.twinvalleyriders.com

Hydration The Day Before

I agree, it is important to hydrate during your ride. But true hydration (water) occurs the day/evening BEFORE the ride.
    Always works

Storms: I think Hamburg is the only rally I've been to that I don't recall a storm blowing through one night. My old tent survived the storms at past rallies; I have confidence that the new one will be a survivor too.

Hydration: *THIS!!!* I have a titanium plate on my right radius as a result of getting dehydrated on a ride, and the incident is noteworthy because I was also having a navigational problem that kept me distracted despite being aware of my dehydration. I've been through military desert-training, but I still got dried-out that day so let that be a lesson that it can sneak-up on anybody. Be vigilant and have a plan for staying hydrated and know what to do when you have symptoms that your plan is failing.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Veg View Post

Hydration: *THIS!!!* I have a titanium plate on my right radius as a result of getting dehydrated on a ride, and the incident is noteworthy because I was also having a navigational problem that kept me distracted despite being aware of my dehydration. I've been through military desert-training, but I still got dried-out that day so let that be a lesson that it can sneak-up on anybody. Be vigilant and have a plan for staying hydrated and know what to do when you have symptoms that your plan is failing.
    Buddy checking was drilled into us in desert warfare training. I'm fortunate to ride with my dog as my awareness of his needs keeps me pulling over to give him water...and as long as he's drinking I might as well have some. Riding solo I seem not to be as aware of my own needs.

Pete
    '12 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Tulliver and Glenlivet

http://travelswithbarley.com/