• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2007 R1200GS - Spins but won't start

bobmorse

I have a 2007 R1200GS with less than 2,000 miles on it. The past few years, it has only been ridden 20 miles or so to get its annual inspection. Went to fire it up in preparation for May 31st annual inspection due date, and to post the bike for sale.............Everything lights up as expected, engine spins rapidly..........doesn't fire. Battery has been on a battery tender all winter, bike has fresh gas. The only "error" messages are for low fuel, and brakes. I think both of these only reset when I run the bike.........which I can't. :banghead

Can anyone advise this old phart where to look first to solve the problem at getting this bike running, inspected, and hopefully sold?

Thank you for your guidance.

/Another Bob

Yep, I agree, check to see if the fuel pump is working. Most likely it is the fuel pump controller; an easy fix.

I think the fuel controller is about $150... that's about as cheap as a repair can get!

If the fuel pump is working you should be able to smell unburned gas at the exhaust pipe outlet after you've cranked it over for a minute or two. If not I'd suspect electrics, like spark.

I'll add that to the list of things to check

Thanks, Bill. I'll get my sniffer ready to check it in the morning.

/Another Bob

An engine needs 4 things to run:

1. fuel to burn
  2. ignition to fire off the fuel
  3. oxygen to combine with the fuel and make a burnable mixture
  4. someplace for the resulting waste products to go

The most likely reasons for it not firing are #1 or #2. Unless you've blocked the intakes somehow - it has #3, ditto on #4 (I did have a friend who once corked up the exhaust on his GS to wash it - and forgot to take the cork out.. it wouldn't start.)

Ignition failure is actually a rather remote item since there are two coils and two plugs in each cylinder. Chances are one of them out of the 4 would be working and at least you'd get a "bang" out the exhaust.

So - that leaves fuel. Simple to check - pull one of the plugs. If the fault was ignition and fuel was reaching the cylinder - the plug and top of the piston would be wet with fuel. Not wet? Means there is no fuel getting there. Could be injectors or the pressure regulator - except these almost never fail. What does fail - especially on some models where the pump controller is mounted so it collects water - is - the pump controller.

Pull a plug. Dry as a bone? Chances are it's the pump controller causing that - especially if it's the original one on an '07 GS.

They do die.......

My fuel pump controller died yesterday way out in the boonies on a USFS paved road through the "forest". I pulled over under a shade tree and tried to start several times, no love. Said some swear words....

Thanks to all the information here on this site about the likely hood of this failure I had the prerequisite GS911 and cell phone, Burns Moto bypass cable and tool kit with me. (also carry air pump and tire plug kit) GS911 said fuel problem, most likely fuel pump controller. Took of fairing, fuel pump well was very clean and dry, screws on controller were shiny. Pulled controller and sure enough underneath was about 1/3 filled with water, o'ring seal was not installed properly and pinched off to side leaving opening for water. Water must have been there many months because as the second owner I have never washed this scooter. Installed bypass, hit start button and instant start....... Put it back together, plugged in bypass and road the 75 miles to dealer I pass on the way home and they had one in stock, surprise, surprise. $226.04 plus tax. (I bet they install them regularly.) Went another 40 miles home, installed new controller and instant start just like with bypass.

Not a good day.....................

Stupid me I did not look under controller a couple months ago when fairing was off but the fuel pump well was clean and dry. Live and learn.

Eric

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips

Thanks Don and others.

Will try to get out there today and look further.

/Another Bob

Thank you gents!

Very timely for me. I am doing my annual and added this inspection to my list. I've a trip scheduled for mid summer. My connections are in good shape, although I do wash my bike at least monthly. The controller is in good shape, too. The Burnsmoto bypass is to be delivered today.

Bike wouldn't start - RESOLVED

I gave in and had Max BMW of New Hampshire retrieve the bike. Along with some of last Fall's fuel having left a nice varnish, the fuel pump had died. Fixed under warranty, and also caught the bike up on open recalls. Bike was returned to it's new owner within a week, runs fine. Thanks for input from all on this forum, and to Max BMW. :dance

I gave in and had Max BMW of New Hampshire retrieve the bike. Along with some of last Fall's fuel having left a nice varnish, the fuel pump had died. Fixed under warranty, and also caught the bike up on open recalls. Bike was returned to it's new owner within a week, runs fine. Thanks for input from all on this forum, and to Max BMW. :dance

Didn't realize they're extending warranty on this fix so far out...11 years! Good to know.

Didn't realize they're extending warranty on this fix so far out...11 years! Good to know.

There is a recall on the fuel pump. They fixed mine 4 years ago with a reinforcement ring.
It started leaking last fall. BMW replaced the whole pump assembly.

Back