Thread: 2015 RT rear brake pad replacement

2015 RT rear brake pad replacement-UPDATE

My rear brake pads are going to need to be replaced soon. Although why they're wearing out before my front ones is beyond me. And no, it's not because my foot is gently depressing the brake pedal while I'm riding. The mechanic suggested that, so I double checked my foot position a few times. Always away from the pedal.

Anyway, I'd like to replace the pads myself. Having never done that on this bike, I'm trying to find some video instruction and I'm coming up empty.

Any suggestions? And is there any special things of which I should be aware before attempting this?
    Last edited by captainmarko; 05-26-2018 at 08:47 PM. Reason: updating post
    Sleep in the trees and keep your knees in the breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by captainmarko View Post
    Although why they're wearing out before my front ones is beyond me.
    All of our bikes with partially integrated brakes wore the back pads faster than the front.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    All of our bikes with partially integrated brakes wore the back pads faster than the front.
    Wow. I did not know that.

Thanks, Lee!

Quote Originally Posted by captainmarko View Post
    My rear brake pads are going to need to be replaced soon. Although why they're wearing out before my front ones is beyond me. And no, it's not because my foot is gently depressing the brake pedal while I'm riding. The mechanic suggested that, so I double checked my foot position a few times. Always away from the pedal.

Anyway, I'd like to replace the pads myself. Having never done that on this bike, I'm trying to find some video instruction and I'm coming up empty.

Any suggestions? And is there any special things of which I should be aware before attempting this?
    My backs went first too, I will get 1 set of front to 2 maybe 3 sets of rear. Yea its strange but that's the way it is. Simple install, I find it easier to remove the caliper and push the pistons back, remove the retaining clips and pull the pin the pads will come out. BMW recommends a thin lubrication of both surfaces of the brake pad with Never Seez Compound (brake-pad paste) part # 83 19 2 158 852. I'm using EBC pads

Jay

Specifically talking OEM pads, the rear pads are a different material than the front pads and are much softer. Thus they wear faster.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

This video can help. The GS and the RT are almost the same except you won't have the fender guard to remove. The correct EBC pads for the rear are EBC FA 2092 HH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAuHBRJI_Po

Ron
    IBA 45658 MOA167437
    708,617 miles on touring motorcycles

Total BMW miles 470,234

Quote Originally Posted by strataj View Post
    BMW recommends a thin lubrication of both surfaces of the brake pad with Never Seez Compound (brake-pad paste) part # 83 19 2 158 852.
    Will any anti-seize compound work or does it have to be Never Seez?

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Specifically talking OEM pads, the rear pads are a different material than the front pads and are much softer. Thus they wear faster.
    Can one change to a harder material for the rear pads?
    Walter

Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.
    H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by WalterK75 View Post
    Can one change to a harder material for the rear pads?
    Yes. I personally like EBC "HH" pads. They are sintered metalic pads, OEM are organic I think.

As a side note, those two letters represent friction coefficients and resistance to brake fade - the first letter at 250 degrees F and the second letter at 600 degrees F.

The last time I checked the ratings for OEM pads they were FG rated. HH are higher friction pads.

See: http://faculty.ccbcmd.edu/~smacadof/DOTPadCodes.htm
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Rear brake pads

I have a 2015 GSA which has 68,000 miles on the clock. I have replaced the rear brakes twice, once at 30,000 and again at 64,000. The second and third sets were EBC HH pads. I have not replaced the OEM front brake pads yet and they have about 40% remaining. This is the only BMW I have owned that has had this disparity in brake wear.

Quote Originally Posted by 146023 View Post
    I have a 2015 GSA which has 68,000 miles on the clock. I have replaced the rear brakes twice, once at 30,000 and again at 64,000. The second and third sets were EBC HH pads. I have not replaced the OEM front brake pads yet and they have about 40% remaining. This is the only BMW I have owned that has had this disparity in brake wear.
    My 2005 RT went through rear pads faster than front ones. i'm assuming my 2016 will do the same.
    2016 R1200RT
    2007 KTM 450 XC-W
    2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
    1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)

Quote Originally Posted by 146023 View Post
    Voni's '94 R1100RS took three rear sets to one front set. Approximately 20K on rears and 60K on fronts, and is not a rear brake dragger at all.

Okay, I did this job yesterday.

Couldn't BELIEVE how easy it was. It literally took me longer to find the torque values on the internet than it did the put new pads in.

Thanks for all the input, guys! Put the EBC pads that were listed by an earlier response.