• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Four-Way Flasher Question

stevenrankin

This question is about the factory installed four-way flashers on the 1982 to 1984 R80RT/R100RT bikes.

When the emergency flashers are on, does the green turn signal indicator light in the instrument housing flash as well as the iluminated four-way on off switch?

On my 78R100RS, the green indicator in the housing flashes along with the iluminated on off switch. On the 84 R80RT it does not.

My shop looked at the wiring diagrams and seems to think the green light does not flash with the on off switch on the 84 R80RT.

I find it hard to believe on one bike it does and on the other it does not. In my memory, I swear the green light used to flash. St.

I've never been on a bike with the 4-way on it or seen them work. Snowbum has a discussion at the top of this page:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/misclelectrical.htm

Is this the kind of diagram you say you've looked at? He mentions a diode being installed.

Just thinking about it, if you use the left or right turn signal, you see the green arrow flash in the instrument pod. In the case of 4-way operation, both left and right signals are flashing. Makes sense to me that the instrument panel would be flashing to let the driver know you were in that mode.

Snowbum's wiring diagram

I have downloaded a copy of Snowbum's wiring diagram for the emergency flashers. I myself have not traced the wiring on my bike. I have looked it over and am not sure what I could have misplaced wire wise.

My independent shop, as I said in my question, believes the green light does not flash. I believe it does.

Before I start tearing into the wiring to solve a problem or fix something that is not right, I would like to have confirmation that I am not crazy and that in fact the green light is supposed to flash. I just cannot see why on the 78 bike it does yet on the 84 bike it doesn't. It makes more sense both bikes should for the most part be the same.

Just being picky, I like things to work the way they are supposed to. St.

4 way flasher

My European 86 R 80 RTP is equipped with 4 way flashers. When activated, the flasher switch flashes, but not the turn signal dash indicator. Steve, YMMV.

Friedle

Thanks for the help

So, if I have this correct, my 1984 R80RT is wired differently for four-way flashers than my 78 R100RS?

The green light does NOT flash on the RT but DOES flash on the RS because they are wired slightly different?

I guess I will have to accept this from you because I myself cannot make head nor hair of the wiring diagrams for the two bikes as well as the wiring diagram for the four-way flasher system.

Leave it to BMW to take something that works well on an older bike and change it to something less desireable on a newer bike. St.

Relay up to 9/1980 - 61311358194 - four terminals C, 31, 49, 49a

Relay from 9/1980 - 61311244392 - three terminals 31, 49, 49a

From RealOEM.

Thanks for taking the time

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

If I had not been lazy, lol, I might have figured out the wiring diagram myself. St.

Back