• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

r1100s ?

chasman

Looking at getting an R1100s, does anyone know of a backrest/luggage rack that would work for two-up touring?

chasman said:
Looking at getting an R1100s, does anyone know of a backrest/luggage rack that would work for two-up touring?

I seem to recall that Givi is making one. Either them or FiveStar. You might want to check with them though.

What kind of touring are you thinking of? FWIW, I rode our RS to WV and the S bike stayed home. I was, however, running an SS1K.

Two up on an S

I certainly endorse touring on ANY bike but, if you are looking for a bike for 2 up touring I would recommend the other sport-touring bike, the R1100RS or R1150RS. It's got a lot more range than that tiny R1100S tank and the passenger seat is much more comfortable than the R1100S. I bought a Roadster instead of an R1100S because of that tiny tank. Granted the literature was incorrect on the Roadsters tank size but at least I can get 175 miles between fill-ups. The R1100RS can go much further. I've been told the R1100S is more like 135 miles. Which your passenger might welcome with that seat. Just think it out first.

MarkF

I ride my S pretty hard, but my fuel light is usually on by 120. When I rode the RS back east, I was getting 200+ before the light came on.

When we ride two up, Tina prefers the RS to the S because the passenger seat on the S puts her up high and in the wind.

Ride them both before you buy.

When I ride semi-hard, the light comes on at 156-163 pretty consistently which means I can go over 200 before a fill up. I have done 220 many times and could probably do 230 or 240 when the light doesn't come on until 190 (which has happened several times). The hardest I ever rode, the light came on a 135 and that was once in 18,000 miles. My worst mileage ever was in the low 40's, 40 to be exact. That happened once. Other than that, never below 44-45 when riding hard. I rode with a buddy on his Gold Wing (1500) and he always had to get gas before me. I just don't understand all the hype about a small tank when it holds 4.7 gals and it is not the capacity, but the combination of economy and capacity which gives you range. 4.7 gals at 50+ mpg is much better than 5 something gals at 35-40 mpg (GW's and K1200 RS's ?). I think with the gearing and the aerodynamics, the S probably has the capability of getting the best gas mileage in the lineup. As for range, it is not going to be that much different from the larger tanks given equal riding conditions.

Attachments

• nj trip 1.jpg
    nj trip 1.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 315
I bought an 02 R1100SBX (Boxer Cup) last year. As it turned one year old I took it in for the 18,000 mile service and that was not riding for two months after being run over on my Sportster (which I was able to put another 9,000 miles on during the same year. I went from North Carolina to New Jersey once. I just returned from going up to the National meet then out to the SW corner of Missouri, up to Kansas City and meandering back for a 3,380 mile trip. It looks like a GS decked out with all my gear on it but I have had a great time touring and just plain riding it. The Boxer Cup sets the bars down a little lower so I was worried but a Throttle Meister allows me to take the weight off the wrists from time to time. The Cup also sits up a little higher due to the shocks but that is a plus when I load it up or ride two up camping/touring as it still gives me plenty of ground clearance. I bought the higher windshield but have never put it on, finding the small screen does everything I need. My wife thinks the passenger seat is just fine, much better than a Harley though not quite as good as my '85 K100RT was. The dealer once asked why I didn't just buy an RT and my answer was, "I like to go around corners every now and then." On the long trip, I averaged 48 mpg and that was some very hard riding with 120 lbs of gear. Ridden decent 50+ is norm and at 55 mph, I get 55 mpg! That is repeatedly so it is not a one shot, unsubstantiated statement. (The S has higher gearing). The other bikes mentioned are certainly built more purposefully for a mix of touring, but don't count out the S just because of the looks. Oh yeah, Givi makes a rack for it and it does work with the factory bags (according to their web page and a phone conversation with them). Five Star does not (according to their web page).

Attachments

• nj trip 3.jpg
    nj trip 3.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
dannyleo said:
The hardest I ever rode, the light came on a 135 and that was once in 18,000 miles.

I went to CLASS last year and got my light to come on at 75. IF I'm beating it hard here in Marin, I can get the light to come on right around 90 t0 100. If I ride it all day at 6K rpms, I'll get that kind of mileage.

I'm impressed that you can get 200. There's just no way I can get that, riding it like I do.

Thanks for the info fellas. Actually, I ride an '02 K12RS. My son is looking at the R11S to replace his recently torched K75S. I'm trying to persuade him to go for an R11RS or R11R.

Riding Like the Wind....

Chuck Manley #12106
Director, BMWMOA
Director, DDBMWR, Inc. #84
'02 K1200RS

returning to your original question regarding an aftermarket luggage rack... check out the Ventura rack. it mounts solidly to the bike, can be set over the pasenger seat or behind the tail section, and has a pack available. really well made, nice quality. The S is fine for touring, but not as comfy as an RT. And as for RT handling.. those puppies can kick butt in a big way, with the right pilot aboard. My buddy wasted me on The Dragon, he on his '02 1150Rt, me on my '01 S. of course, he lives local and rides it frequently, whereas i had never seen it b4. For that matter, he wasted some guy on a GSXR750 as well.

Man! And you're going to tell people that!?! :) Just kidding. I was at Jamestown last year and a kid on an RT was staying right with me up to @120. It wasn't the only time I've ridden stupid but thank God that He was watching out for me that day. I used to ride my K100RT like that, then I found out what pain was. :( I believe that the Ventura states it is not to be used as a back rest, one of the reasons I decided against it. You can see how small the tubing is at http://www.ventura-bike.com/english/products/pack_system/fitting.htm. I could be wrong. It is a really nice looking system though for just adding luggage. That pretty much narrows it down to the Givi which has a great looking rack. Unfortunately, my wife and I both think the top case is uuggllyy. At least on the S. If someone knows of a better looking topcase, I'm all ears (or at least eyes and fingers on this forum). I'm thinking of trying to adapt my old K100RT top case to the Givi rack. It's unobtrusive, has a small back pad, and removeable. Anyone know of any other options? I've looked ever since I got the bike.

Back