• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

About that old age and motorcycles thing...

The BMW 310GS and R versions were on display at the Vacouver Motorcycle Show this past January. I really liked the design, controls and just overall layout with one exception. The seat. The seat design captures the rider between the tank and where it rises sharply behind the rider. This (for me anyway) left virtually zero room to slide back and forth at all. I found this restriction quite uncomfortable and I cannot imagine being on it all day. And for that reason alone I cannot see ever owning one.

To expand a bit though, I have a condition called Ischial Bursitis which is layman's terms is a terrible pain in the a*se. So my right side cheek is in constant pain whenever I sit and my love of long distance riding since I was a kid has not helped. Joints and wear points in humans have these tiny air sacs to protect them called bursa. Mine are toast on one side. So I employ various strategies now on the bike to mitigate the pain which includes getting up on the pegs often for a few minutes, shifting my weight from side to side slightly to take pressure off one side and also just stopping, stretching and walking around for 5 minutes really helps.

But that 310GS seat was fairly hard brand new and left me no room for my on bike "exercises". There is really no room or options to do much about altering the seat either from what I can tell. Shame though because I really like the bike!

Another fair comment is my buddy Evan who also tried out the bike and booked a test ride plans to buy one. He's near 70 now and looking to downsize. Perfect choice for that!

I'm 69, and my strategy has been to make fitness the central aspect of my life. I swim, 30 lengths, 3 or 4 times a week, and work out in the gym on the other days, with special attention to core conditioning. I also play competitive squash. I'm real careful with what, and how much, I eat.

I can still maneuver my bike around, but if I start losing strength, I might get into a 650. If I lose any abilities, I think the first to go might be alpine skiing. But, so far so good.

What he said. Work out. Gotta work out. You gotta want it!

I'm 75 in a couple months and I walk 3 miles/day every day rain or shine with some pretty steep hills thrown in. I also watch what I eat to a degree and in one year have lost 43 pounds down to 175 so not bad. My knees don't hurt anymore, my back feels much better as well so all good. However, I seem to have a slight problem with sense of balance. Not really bad enough to quit riding yet but I can see the day coming. It just is what it tis.:violin

Marshall Robilio- 90 Years Young

Just turned 90 years young back may the 3rd.
A85BF0C6-4FC2-4235-BFFB-31C923F6DB60.jpg
Me, Marshall, Don Quales on Beale St. Bike Nite in Memphis, Tn.
663A796F-262E-4DB8-81DE-ADB372A2CE6B.jpg
Getting his pic with nice ladies on Beale St. Their sitting in his R69S sidecar.
He’s still riding and enjoying life. He admits he don’t ride as much and not after dark. But that ain’t to bad for this senior rider. He’s done it all and is a inspiration for us junior riders. :thumb:dance:)

IMG_0690.jpg
Marshall at the Memphis Rodders and the Old Bike Club Winter Blau Wednesday Night get togather. As usual camera in hand.
IMG_0248.jpg
Marshall selling used bike parts at the Rams Rally.

IMG_0028.jpg
Marshall's vintage Jaguar roadster/convertible and 60's BMW single.:thumb
Lots of BMW motorcycles in the background.

2C762AC7-A645-4B3C-8F1D-CDD67CF8CC3C.jpg
Marshall’s R69S sidecar outfit. Marshall covers the gamut. He has built and rode a lot of motorcycles. Street and touring bikes and dirt bikes. Vintage cars, custom cars, road race and drag cars. Like I said he’s done it all. Some guys talk about doing something; he didn’t just talk it; he did it.

However, I seem to have a slight problem with sense of balance. Not really bad enough to quit riding yet but I can see the day coming. It just is what it tis.:violin

Just a minor thought: Perhaps you might ask your MD about how medications might affect balance. That could be a minor thing with some adjustment. This from a 73YOA guy who takes pills every day.

So, to get back to the original idea, how do we get a sub-forum set up so that we can accumulate information about health, equipment etc. that will let more members keep riding longer?

Well Marshall does walk 1 1/2 to 2 miles every day. It's also a fast walk. I've done it several times with him and I really know the pace. He does'nt mess around. It's a serious walk.

I have to say it's an interesting subject for me. 62, one knee replacement, one shoulder rebuild, osteoarthritis, carpal tunnel, cubital tunnel, torn back muscles, tinnitus, hair loss, and occasional flatulence. Wait, I always had that last one. I'm here due to my first concession, traded the Electra Glide for a '16RTW. I like the bike a lot. I let the Sirius radio run out because I don't listen to the radio when I'm on a bike.

So far I've added front and rear crash bars, bar backs, Russell Day Long seat, top case with rack, and a Quiet-Werks windshield. I've been pretty happy with these.

I have a question I'm sure some of you can answer. I'm considering an Aerostich one piece suit, my leather pants are 30 years old, I do have a newer jacket, only 10 years old or so. The R-3 looks pretty good to me, but I wonder about the light version, since I live in Tennessee and summers are often in the high 90's, both Fahrenheit and humidity. Truthfully I like the look of the Road-crafter, too, but I don't want to fry. Anyone with any thoughts on this?

I have a question I'm sure some of you can answer. I'm considering an Aerostich one piece suit, my leather pants are 30 years old, I do have a newer jacket, only 10 years old or so. The R-3 looks pretty good to me, but I wonder about the light version, since I live in Tennessee and summers are often in the high 90's, both Fahrenheit and humidity. Truthfully I like the look of the Road-crafter, too, but I don't want to fry. Anyone with any thoughts on this?

Maybe one of the mods can move this part into another thread.

Maybe one of the mods can move this part into another thread.

Oh, I thought we were talking about adapting as we got older. To me buying a lighter bike, then equipping it to be easier to use, and finding gear that reduces fatigue would fall neatly into that category. Sorry if I was mistaken..

Last edited:
Oh, I thought we were talking about adapting as we got older. To me buying a lighter bike, then equipping it to be easier to use, and finding gear that reduces fatigue would fall neatly into that category. Sorry if I was mistaken..

You weren't mistaken.

That aging thing

I reached Eighty last December I purchased a long sought after K 75 RT -- First ride I found frightening because of the height and weight. Also had trouble swing leg over getting on and off. Fixes began with a shorter rear shock, raising the forks in the triple trees and cutting down the seat. Much more comfortable but still a bit overwhelming. Last week I joined a Gym to strengthen legs and work on flexibility. Most, not all, of us when getting older find excuses to become less active. Continuing riding is good for the mind and the soul. Use any means available to continue. The sacrifice is well worth it. Scotty

I'm 69, and my strategy has been to make fitness the central aspect of my life. I swim, 30 lengths, 3 or 4 times a week, and work out in the gym on the other days, with special attention to core conditioning. I also play competitive squash. I'm real careful with what, and how much, I eat.

I can still maneuver my bike around, but if I start losing strength, I might get into a 650. If I lose any abilities, I think the first to go might be alpine skiing. But, so far so good.
I'm 68 and began a concentrated effort to get fit last year. Long bicycle rides, strength training with personal trainer 2 days a week and improved diet. I've lost 35 pounds and have much more energy and endurance. I have a wet head RT and find I can ride it as long as I want every day and can move it around the garage with ease.
I enjoy riding hard in the twisties and the occasional track day. A couple weeks ago, I took an advanced riding class with Jim Ford in the Blue Ridge mountains. I enjoyed the lessons and Jim was impressed with how quickly I learned his techniques. During lunch one day he recommended I should think about getting a lighter bike for these type rides. Even think about trailering the bike if going to distant places. I took his advise and bought a Yamaha FZ-07. It weighs in under 400 lbs and has almost the same HP to weight ratio as my RT. In other words, it's quick! What a blast. It's not a sports bike so it has a more upright riding position similar to the RT. I put 300 miles on it yesterday without pain. It's a naked bike so I need to get some sort of windshield for it. I'm looking forward to the track day scheduled next Monday at Grattan Raceway in Michigan.

You weren't, and referring to Kevin's post, it's my turn to be confused.

Here are links to some product reviews of the Roadcrafter Light that I found.

https://www.cycleworld.com/2012/01/31/aerostich-roadcrafter-light-product-review

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2015/04/10/aerostich-r-3-light-review-third-generation-roadcrafter/

My thought is that this would not be the optimal suit to use in your state's high temperature / humidity summer conditions. IIRC from the articles above, the pant is not vented

There are also many threads on the R3 Light at ADVrider, but I couldn't find any comments that addressed the humidity issue.

Back