Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: About that old age and motorcycles thing...

wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post

I pondered the question for a while and the opined: "Smaller bikes, shorter days, and lonelier roads."

+1

I am anxiously awaiting Paul's report on how well the smaller bikes fit the bill.

My preliminary report is that they are great for local riding and did very well doing 400 mile days to and from a rally in Kerrville, even in headwinds and crosswinds 25 gusting to 35 mph. Luggage was an issue but I just ordered sidebags so things should work well.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

My preliminary report is that they are great for local riding and did very well doing 400 mile days to and from a rally in Kerrville, even in headwinds and crosswinds 25 gusting to 35 mph. Luggage was an issue but I just ordered sidebags so things should work well.
    Having already done my first "downsizing due to age" by going from a Suzuki GSF1250 to an F800GT (shedding some 60-90 pounds and gaining a lower center of gravity too) the G310GS is high on my list if I replace either of my two current bikes (and if the soft suspension sags enough that I can touch down my 30-inch inseam feet). At 100 pounds less that the F800GT I could definitely go this route. I can learn to pack less.
    jZ
    There is some perverse beauty about being up in the air looking down at your bike during a high-side get-off.

He looked around the room at the graying attendees and posed a question."We are getting older. What strategies can anybody suggest to allow us to continue riding as we get older?"
    I'm 69, and my strategy has been to make fitness the central aspect of my life. I swim, 30 lengths, 3 or 4 times a week, and work out in the gym on the other days, with special attention to core conditioning. I also play competitive squash. I'm real careful with what, and how much, I eat.

I can still maneuver my bike around, but if I start losing strength, I might get into a 650. If I lose any abilities, I think the first to go might be alpine skiing. But, so far so good.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    The BMW 310GS and R versions were on display at the Vacouver Motorcycle Show this past January. I really liked the design, controls and just overall layout with one exception. The seat. The seat design captures the rider between the tank and where it rises sharply behind the rider. This (for me anyway) left virtually zero room to slide back and forth at all. I found this restriction quite uncomfortable and I cannot imagine being on it all day. And for that reason alone I cannot see ever owning one.

To expand a bit though, I have a condition called Ischial Bursitis which is layman's terms is a terrible pain in the a*se. So my right side cheek is in constant pain whenever I sit and my love of long distance riding since I was a kid has not helped. Joints and wear points in humans have these tiny air sacs to protect them called bursa. Mine are toast on one side. So I employ various strategies now on the bike to mitigate the pain which includes getting up on the pegs often for a few minutes, shifting my weight from side to side slightly to take pressure off one side and also just stopping, stretching and walking around for 5 minutes really helps.

But that 310GS seat was fairly hard brand new and left me no room for my on bike "exercises". There is really no room or options to do much about altering the seat either from what I can tell. Shame though because I really like the bike!

Another fair comment is my buddy Evan who also tried out the bike and booked a test ride plans to buy one. He's near 70 now and looking to downsize. Perfect choice for that!
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    I'm 69, and my strategy has been to make fitness the central aspect of my life. I swim, 30 lengths, 3 or 4 times a week, and work out in the gym on the other days, with special attention to core conditioning. I also play competitive squash. I'm real careful with what, and how much, I eat.

I can still maneuver my bike around, but if I start losing strength, I might get into a 650. If I lose any abilities, I think the first to go might be alpine skiing. But, so far so good.
    What he said. Work out. Gotta work out. You gotta want it!

I'm 75 in a couple months and I walk 3 miles/day every day rain or shine with some pretty steep hills thrown in. I also watch what I eat to a degree and in one year have lost 43 pounds down to 175 so not bad. My knees don't hurt anymore, my back feels much better as well so all good. However, I seem to have a slight problem with sense of balance. Not really bad enough to quit riding yet but I can see the day coming. It just is what it tis.
    Jammess

'93 R1100RSL, '10 FJR1300A
    MOA # 50714

Quote Originally Posted by jammess View Post
    ...I also watch what I eat to a degree and in one year have lost 43 pounds down to 175 so not bad...
    Atta' boy!
    Rinty

Marshall Robilio- 90 Years Young

Just turned 90 years young back may the 3rd.
    A85BF0C6-4FC2-4235-BFFB-31C923F6DB60.jpg
    Me, Marshall, Don Quales on Beale St. Bike Nite in Memphis, Tn.
    663A796F-262E-4DB8-81DE-ADB372A2CE6B.jpg
    Getting his pic with nice ladies on Beale St. Their sitting in his R69S sidecar.
    Heís still riding and enjoying life. He admits he donít ride as much and not after dark. But that ainít to bad for this senior rider. Heís done it all and is a inspiration for us junior riders.

IMG_0690.jpg
    Marshall at the Memphis Rodders and the Old Bike Club Winter Blau Wednesday Night get togather. As usual camera in hand.
    IMG_0248.jpg
    Marshall selling used bike parts at the Rams Rally.

IMG_0028.jpg
    Marshall's vintage Jaguar roadster/convertible and 60's BMW single.
    Lots of BMW motorcycles in the background.

2C762AC7-A645-4B3C-8F1D-CDD67CF8CC3C.jpg
    Marshallís R69S sidecar outfit. Marshall covers the gamut. He has built and rode a lot of motorcycles. Street and touring bikes and dirt bikes. Vintage cars, custom cars, road race and drag cars. Like I said heís done it all. Some guys talk about doing something; he didnít just talk it; he did it.

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    Just turned 90 years young back may the 3rd....
    Wow. Inspiration is right.

It must be interesting to spend time with this guy.
    Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by jammess View Post
    However, I seem to have a slight problem with sense of balance. Not really bad enough to quit riding yet but I can see the day coming. It just is what it tis.
    Just a minor thought: Perhaps you might ask your MD about how medications might affect balance. That could be a minor thing with some adjustment. This from a 73YOA guy who takes pills every day.
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."