Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: About that old age and motorcycles thing...

So, to get back to the original idea, how do we get a sub-forum set up so that we can accumulate information about health, equipment etc. that will let more members keep riding longer?
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Well Marshall does walk 1 1/2 to 2 miles every day. It's also a fast walk. I've done it several times with him and I really know the pace. He does'nt mess around. It's a serious walk.

I have to say it's an interesting subject for me. 62, one knee replacement, one shoulder rebuild, osteoarthritis, carpal tunnel, cubital tunnel, torn back muscles, tinnitus, hair loss, and occasional flatulence. Wait, I always had that last one. I'm here due to my first concession, traded the Electra Glide for a '16RTW. I like the bike a lot. I let the Sirius radio run out because I don't listen to the radio when I'm on a bike.

So far I've added front and rear crash bars, bar backs, Russell Day Long seat, top case with rack, and a Quiet-Werks windshield. I've been pretty happy with these.

I have a question I'm sure some of you can answer. I'm considering an Aerostich one piece suit, my leather pants are 30 years old, I do have a newer jacket, only 10 years old or so. The R-3 looks pretty good to me, but I wonder about the light version, since I live in Tennessee and summers are often in the high 90's, both Fahrenheit and humidity. Truthfully I like the look of the Road-crafter, too, but I don't want to fry. Anyone with any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Stebe View Post
    I have a question I'm sure some of you can answer. I'm considering an Aerostich one piece suit, my leather pants are 30 years old, I do have a newer jacket, only 10 years old or so. The R-3 looks pretty good to me, but I wonder about the light version, since I live in Tennessee and summers are often in the high 90's, both Fahrenheit and humidity. Truthfully I like the look of the Road-crafter, too, but I don't want to fry. Anyone with any thoughts on this?
    Maybe one of the mods can move this part into another thread.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    Maybe one of the mods can move this part into another thread.
    Oh, I thought we were talking about adapting as we got older. To me buying a lighter bike, then equipping it to be easier to use, and finding gear that reduces fatigue would fall neatly into that category. Sorry if I was mistaken..
    Last edited by Stebe; 05-17-2018 at 11:25 PM.

Oh, I thought we were talking about adapting as we got older. To me buying a lighter bike, then equipping it to be easier to use, and finding gear that reduces fatigue would fall neatly into that category. Sorry if I was mistaken..
    You weren't mistaken.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Stebe, we are often confused, befuddled and disoriented around this place.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

That aging thing

I reached Eighty last December I purchased a long sought after K 75 RT -- First ride I found frightening because of the height and weight. Also had trouble swing leg over getting on and off. Fixes began with a shorter rear shock, raising the forks in the triple trees and cutting down the seat. Much more comfortable but still a bit overwhelming. Last week I joined a Gym to strengthen legs and work on flexibility. Most, not all, of us when getting older find excuses to become less active. Continuing riding is good for the mind and the soul. Use any means available to continue. The sacrifice is well worth it. Scotty

I'm 69, and my strategy has been to make fitness the central aspect of my life. I swim, 30 lengths, 3 or 4 times a week, and work out in the gym on the other days, with special attention to core conditioning. I also play competitive squash. I'm real careful with what, and how much, I eat.

I can still maneuver my bike around, but if I start losing strength, I might get into a 650. If I lose any abilities, I think the first to go might be alpine skiing. But, so far so good.
    I'm 68 and began a concentrated effort to get fit last year. Long bicycle rides, strength training with personal trainer 2 days a week and improved diet. I've lost 35 pounds and have much more energy and endurance. I have a wet head RT and find I can ride it as long as I want every day and can move it around the garage with ease.
    I enjoy riding hard in the twisties and the occasional track day. A couple weeks ago, I took an advanced riding class with Jim Ford in the Blue Ridge mountains. I enjoyed the lessons and Jim was impressed with how quickly I learned his techniques. During lunch one day he recommended I should think about getting a lighter bike for these type rides. Even think about trailering the bike if going to distant places. I took his advise and bought a Yamaha FZ-07. It weighs in under 400 lbs and has almost the same HP to weight ratio as my RT. In other words, it's quick! What a blast. It's not a sports bike so it has a more upright riding position similar to the RT. I put 300 miles on it yesterday without pain. It's a naked bike so I need to get some sort of windshield for it. I'm looking forward to the track day scheduled next Monday at Grattan Raceway in Michigan.
    Steve
    MOA #208308
    2016 R1200RT San Marino Blue Metalic

You weren't, and referring to Kevin's post, it's my turn to be confused.

Here are links to some product reviews of the Roadcrafter Light that I found.

https://www.cycleworld.com/2012/01/3...product-review

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...n-roadcrafter/

My thought is that this would not be the optimal suit to use in your state's high temperature / humidity summer conditions. IIRC from the articles above, the pant is not vented

There are also many threads on the R3 Light at ADVrider, but I couldn't find any comments that addressed the humidity issue.
    Rinty

Thumbs up Older and riding

We (wife & I ) will be turning 79 this year. We will be going to the National.
    We have a 2000 K1200 LTC. I am finding that we may not do the miles to 6000that we did a few years back.

200 mile in a day (maybe 300) instead of the 599 + days. But we will be trying.

Se you down the road.

George aka mthelmet
    MOA # 557 & 667
    MT helmet
    [COLOR=Red]NO ONE ELSE ADMITS IT[FONT=Courier New]

You weren't, and referring to Kevin's post, it's my turn to be confused.

Here are links to some product reviews of the Roadcrafter Light that I found.

https://www.cycleworld.com/2012/01/3...product-review

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...n-roadcrafter/

My thought is that this would not be the optimal suit to use in your state's high temperature / humidity summer conditions. IIRC from the articles above, the pant is not vented

There are also many threads on the R3 Light at ADVrider, but I couldn't find any comments that addressed the humidity issue.
    thanks for the links. that helped.

And this thread just popped up; see post 14.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...70#post1130470

I'm wondering if there's any suit that works, for summertime, in the southern states. I recall a guy at the BMW dealership in Las Vegas telling me that many of their customers had two suits: a mesh one for summer use, and a non mesh, for the other seasons.
    Rinty