• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

S1000 XR demographics

Additional Lights

I bought my 2020 Ice Gray XR just prior to my 53rd birthday last September. Great bike, so far. Picking up a C400X this week for buzzing around town. Should reduce the chance of picking up one of those traffic violations the XR is always asking me to get involved in.View attachment 82528

I like those additional Lights. Can you post the brand and type?

XR Question

Hi everyone.
I'm thinking of getting myself a '20 XR.
I'm concerned because that the one I'm looking at is a lowered suspension model.
I'm 6' 0" and have a bad knee that doesn't like riding cramped.
Does anyone know what would be involved in raising a lowered model back up to the std height?
Thanks!

Hi everyone.
I'm thinking of getting myself a '20 XR.
I'm concerned because that the one I'm looking at is a lowered suspension model.
I'm 6' 0" and have a bad knee that doesn't like riding cramped.
Does anyone know what would be involved in raising a lowered model back up to the std height?
Thanks!

Just be aware the even if you lower or raise the bike, it will not change the riding geometry for your legs. You would have the raise your seat, or lower / move your pegs to change the leg geometry when you ride.

Just be aware the even if you lower or raise the bike, it will not change the riding geometry for your legs. You would have the raise your seat, or lower / move your pegs to change the leg geometry when you ride.

That makes more sense. Wasn't thinking clearly on a Saturday morning! Thanks.

Purchase S1000XR

Bought my first XR at 72 last year, a 2020 Red, low suspension, pic below running it to Florida from Wisconsin via Asheville last October:

samson_scott-shred.jpg

While in isolation for 15 days upon returning home, found a low mileage 2016 White with lowered susspension through Ted Porter's beemer shop, with lots of other farkling for a very good price, and pulled the trigger, last October. I won't see it until May or June this year (its on the west coast of US) but it's only got 10,700 miles and I was able to talk to the BMW service department where the 12K service was done, and they sold the bike new to original owner. Wish I had a better picture:

snow1_OPT.jpg

As you can imagine, can't wait to get my hand on that throttle. Will have to reset it from it's current "track" orientation to an over the road bike, as I plan to take it to the Rally in Great Falls in June.

I do feel about 30 years younger on this bike, although I'll never ring it out to it's potential, it is still a lot of fun to get the revs above 6-7K and feel that incredible kick in the ass.

Scotty

Pick mine up later this week. At 74 I love the way this rides. Almost 3/4 of a century soon. Young at heart! :blah

Is that picture at the Milwaukee BMW shop that is now closed? Nice bike! One more question...which Klim jacket is that? I have some interest in a new jacket, but am unsure if a new one will be as nice as my old Olympia AST 2.

I missed your questions on the first go around last year. Long time since these posts but it was Mishler's BMW in Beaver Dam, WI, about 30 miles northeast of Madison. I picked up the bike in late August of 2020 and they closed in December of 2020.

The Klim is the same jacket the other posted mentioned, a great jacket. Comfortable, great protection in case of a get off, and waterproof by goretex liner, not external treatment, which can wear off. I've since gotten the ultimate jacket, a thou for that, so you should have gotten it for the $800, and the Badlands pants. I'm waiting for the weather to get a bit colder in WNC before I break it in.

Scotty

beerworld1.jpg

How old are you S1000XR riders? I am 71 and bought my XR last fall. I figure I may be at the top of the age range.

80. 2018 GSA bought new. Looking at maybe getting a S1000r used. Test ride next week to see if my knees can take it.

I'm 45 years old and just bought my first S1000XR. Coming off a VROD, which, funny enough, I feel like I've "aged out" of.

This thread makes me feel good, I kind of felt like I was "too old" to get a liter bike; if anything, sounds like I might be on the younger side for XR owners! Really looking forward to it, this will be my first BMW motorcycle (have had a few of their cars, which other than maintenance costs, I've absolutely loved).

Hope to still be riding in years to come

I'm 62 and have had my s1kXr since 2016, I have several other bikes, a Guzzi Stelvio and KTM SMT but sold them this summer to prepare for the move to Kentucky. The XR won out for the keeper.

XR=Intoxicating

This thread seems to "live on" with many, many posters. Since picking up the 2020 Gen3 XR (I consider the 2018-2019 models the Gen2) and the 2016 Gen1 on the west coast of the US, I picked up a 3rd XR in February this year. Found it in a non-BMW dealership in Marietta, a suburb of Atlanta, with 1425 miles on it, a 2016 Gen1. This one destined as my daily driver at home for work. I trailered it up to Asheville, and did some work on it there. I fixed the GPS prep (plugged into wrong connector, how did that happen?), resurrected the NAV V that came with it but probably hadn't worked since new (it was unregistered with Garmin! I registered it as new owner, Whoop-Whoop!). Bike had a scratch on the right nose piece, had that repainted by our Asheville BMW Club's paint guru, Steve Horlick. I also had him paint the front fender and lower radiator shroud white also. Installed Clearwater Darla lights (mainly to attract attention for cagers), installed an Anti-Gravity battery, and the Soupy Racing's lowering link. Installed Shad cases. I like them better than the stock BMW side cases as the attachment frame is much simpler, and better looking when the side case are off, and OH, less than half price over the BMW, and I understand Shad makes the BMW cases. I also replaced stock exhaust with the Akrapovic, and lastly, replaced the almost 7 year old tires with new Michelin PR 6's. While doing all this I did examine the bike very carefully and it was basically brand new except for the GPS prep error and scratch on the nose piece.

Whenever I buy a used bike, I make an effort to discover the bike's history. My first used Gen1 XR's history was an open book, and I was gratified to know exactly who bought it, what they did to it, why they sold it, etc. With this 2nd used 2016 Gen1, I hit a dead end. Examining the title helped me determine who had bought it new, and his address in the US. I searched online and the tax records for his town showed him as current owner at the same address. I was able to get a phone number but that was disconnected. I then tried to track down the dealership that sold it to him and they'd been bought out by another dealership. That dealership had no records of previous sales at former dealership. I don't think they were BMW which probably explains the records thing. Maybe I could have pushed harder but at this point, I throttled back.

The guy must've bought the XR off the showroom floor after sitting there for 5 years, as it was bought new in Sep 2021. It was then sold to a dealership in Texas at 1285 miles 2 months later. The machine was then purchased by the dealership in Marietta to resell, when I purchased it at 1425 miles. I assume the guy bought it new, rode it to Texas, and sold it. Why I don't know. My last effort was to write a letter to the guy explaining why I was writing, how I like to get the history of the bike, etc. No response, unfortunately. My efforts have kind of reached a dead end.

I love all my XR's. There are differences between the Gen1's and the Gen2/3's, but although BMW touted significant changes, I haven't found that to be so. BMW put out a service campaign (think that is what it was called) to install different or new spacers in the handlebar clamp area, which reduced vibrations to the bars. Some owners have also installed more aggressively weighted bar ends. I haven't found a significant difference between the Gen1's and Gen 2/3's once this factory upgrade was installed. What I can say is the Gen1's are more visceral, more hooligan in the power delivery, but again, this is a fine distinction. Below is the day I picked up the Marietta Gen1 from my cousin, who picked it up for me (yes, bought sight unseen) and then at my home getting ready to ride to work, 5 months later:

demon1.jpg

20220715_154829.jpg

,Snotty54, reading about how much you guys enjoy your XR made me curious to read more. I click on Page 4 and see you with your red XR! Kind of crazy. Both are fine looking machines.

,Snotty54, reading about how much you guys enjoy your XR made me curious to read more. I click on Page 4 and see you with your red XR! Kind of crazy. Both are fine looking machines.

Nothing crazy about it. How long should we wait to have fun!! Below is "Snow" my west coast XR

snow2022Trip.jpg

58 years young!

How old are you S1000XR riders? I am 71 and bought my XR last fall. I figure I may be at the top of the age range. I am guessing this will be my last new motorcycle. I like everything about the XR except being stuck in traffic at 35 mph. The engine makes an odd sound at that pace. I find the seat even passable,though as the miles pile up I may change my mind about that.

68 here. Bought my XR 2 years ago, sold it to a friend and just bought it back again. Excited to ride it a lot this season.

Back