• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

S1000 XR demographics

So, the XR is an old folks' bike, hmmm? Good, I could fit right in at almost 70 years old . . . :thumb

I sell a lot of XR's: youngest customer in Mid 20's, oldest in early seventies, and in typical bell curve fashion the majority of my customers are 45-55. I'm 52 and it will most likely be the next I buy, to compliment my RT...

I sell a lot of XR's: youngest customer in Mid 20's, oldest in early seventies, and in typical bell curve fashion the majority of my customers are 45-55. I'm 52 and it will most likely be the next I buy, to compliment my RT...

Nah Greg, you don't need an XR :brad....BTW are you coming to Lebanon?

Tor

So much wanted an XR bike.... too damn tall for me. I opted for a new S1000R instead. I'm officially a "Hooligan"!!!!

Not old yet.... just turned 60......

Whatta deal! 33% off MSRP for my '16 XR in '17. When I showed my wife the tag she said 'Why don't you buy it"! I did.

I have a K1600 GT for the road and use the XR for commuting and local curvy roads. I love them both for what each is.

I'm 78 and pleased to be mature enough to enjoy the power and rush but not enough to get in over my head - very often.

The Draft Horse and The Thoroughbred

Love them both. Get your XR.

untitled-9070002.jpg

How old are you S1000XR riders? I am 71 and bought my XR last fall. I figure I may be at the top of the age range. I am guessing this will be my last new motorcycle. I like everything about the XR except being stuck in traffic at 35 mph. The engine makes an odd sound at that pace. I find the seat even passable,though as the miles pile up I may change my mind about that.

I'm 72 and plan to ride as long as I can. I'm looking seriously at the 2020XR as a daily driver bike. I've already got a long distance tourer and a nice dual sport. The XR just looks so sexy. I bought an F850GS for my daily driver but, well, I've worked hard all my life and when is it time to have fun? Yesterday! Anyway, very interested in finding out why you decided on the XR and any upgrades you purchased with it, and your experience so far, if you've got the time.

Scotty

63 here. I'll admit I added an Air Hawk inflatable seat cushion on mine for long trips. Helps my bony backside. I also use it as my trackbike and love it - such fun passing folks on dedicated trackbikes with slicks when I'm on street tires, and adventure bike with lights and license plate. Will be riding it a lot this season - BRP, Adirondacks, track.

Man that must be fun, passing dedicated track bikes with slicks on the XR. It sounds like a phenomenal machine.

Scotty

S1000XR farkles - mods?

i'm 72 and plan to ride as long as i can. I'm looking seriously at the 2020xr as a daily driver bike. I've already got a long distance tourer and a nice dual sport. The xr just looks so sexy. I bought an f850gs for my daily driver but, well, i've worked hard all my life and when is it time to have fun? Yesterday! Anyway, very interested in finding out why you decided on the xr and any upgrades you purchased with it, and your experience so far, if you've got the time.

Scotty

bump!

front_OPT.jpg

53 years old. Traded a 2018 Multistrada Enduro on a used 2019 Triple Black with only 524 miles on the clock. Currently own a 2018 R1200 RT and a 2008 Triumph Bonneville.
The XR is all I want it to be, thank goodness. It already had the black topcase so I opted to get the OE sidecases to complete the set up. It's my intention to use it as my weekend or short trip bike as opposed to my long haul multiweek trip mule that is the RT.
At the moment I'm throwing the R&G Racing catalogue at the bike. I have the radiator and oil cooler guards fitted, I have the from, rear and frame bobbins on order, the tail tidy and a set of four Aero mini LED indicators also on order. HP Gillies adjustable levers and the HP Case guards also on their way.
So far with only one 500 mile day under my belt the comfort seems pretty good. Only time will tell.

Some astute members may spot a pattern in my buying habits - I seem to be buying the last year of a production cycle. It's not always intentional, but does have the benefit that most of the bugs are worked out just before the manufacturers upgrade to the next model :)

I'm 63 and have a 16 XR. This bike is awesome. Tested the R1250RT and K1600 but this bike fit me best. I also love the low suspension option.

Attachments

• Killboy 3 ROTR-2019 small.jpg
    Killboy 3 ROTR-2019 small.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 248
  • Killboy 1 ROTR-2019 small.jpg
    Killboy 1 ROTR-2019 small.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 249
I'm 53 and love the fact I can still have sportbike performance in a more comfortable package!:thumb

It also means I can keep up on the street or track with my 18 year old and his R6...:D

XR_R6.jpg

S1000xr

I'm 63 and have a 16 XR. This bike is awesome. Tested the R1250RT and K1600 but this bike fit me best. I also love the low suspension option.

I've been looking at a 2016 for sale all farkled up for about US$9600 with 34K on the clock. It's just like yours, all red, but no low suspension which might be a prob.

I've been looking at a 2016 for sale all farkled up for about US$9600 with 34K on the clock. It's just like yours, all red, but no low suspension which might be a prob.

Love my bike with the factory low suspension since I was not comfortable with the standard height. I have a 30" inseam and the low suspension works great for me. I ran into a guy about my height who lowered his with the ...dog-bones or Soupy's kit... not sure of the exact details but there are kits to do this. Also not sure how it handles compared to the factory setup. Mine handles great and very neutral steering.

S1000rr

Can’t get photo to upload but I just bought a 2020 S1000RR for my 65th birthday (July 3) a couple of days ago. Had to go to JAX from Naples Fl to get it, it is not a 300 mile bike.Red with race and ddc package.
Also own a 4000 mile 2000 K1200RS and a 2007 R1200S ( love the boxers). Waiting for my gs-911 to kill the rev limiter, top end limited to 125 mph, I’ll wait the 600.

2016 S100XR owner at 56 years young.

I switched back in July 2019 to the 2016 S1000XR from a 2006 Kawasaki Concours.

The Connie was a great long distance rider with awesome weather protection, but,
was more tourer than sport, and heavy... so, my switch to the XR was driven by
1) Less weight
2) 'Sportier Handling'
3) Modified seating position for comfort.

The XR ticked all those boxes. I will say, quite nicely too.
As far as where I've gone with it:
Factory headlights are dim,
so I put in LED headlight, and aux lights.
Replaced the factory windscreen with a MRA Vario for better wind protection.
Tip over protection.
Adjustable clutch lever.
Hand guards

IMG_0819-M.jpg

As far as where I've gone with it:
Factory headlights are dim,
so I put in LED headlight...
IMG_0819-M.jpg
Which LED bulb conversion did you use, and are you happy with it?

I'm 66, have a 2018 in Ocean Blue. I'm not fond of the color but love the bike otherwise. I too have a 30" inseam. I bought a Sargent low seat and lowered the forks in the triple-clamps by 10mm and all is good now.

Randy

Which LED bulb conversion did you use, and are you happy with it?

I'm 66, have a 2018 in Ocean Blue. I'm not fond of the color but love the bike otherwise. I too have a 30" inseam. I bought a Sargent low seat and lowered the forks in the triple-clamps by 10mm and all is good now.

Randy
These are the bulbs....

TECHMAX Mini H7 LED Headlight Bulbs,60W 10000Lm 4700Lux 6500K Cool White Extremely Bright 30mm Heatsink Base CREE Chips Conversion Kit

I then used these covers to protect the bulbs....

TOMALL 70mm 2.76 inch PVC Rubber Seal Dustproof Covers for LED Headlight Conversion Kit

Links:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CBRXTT6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075SB7YQ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the bulbs....

TECHMAX Mini H7 LED Headlight Bulbs,60W 10000Lm 4700Lux 6500K Cool White Extremely Bright 30mm Heatsink Base CREE Chips Conversion Kit

I then used these covers to protect the bulbs....

TOMALL 70mm 2.76 inch PVC Rubber Seal Dustproof Covers for LED Headlight Conversion Kit

Links:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CBRXTT6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075SB7YQ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
For those following behind us those are the exact same lights and caps I used and so far they are working great. In addition I bought these marker lights that match the color of the headlights and look great...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KY359M4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back