• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

S1000 XR demographics

How old are you S1000XR riders? I am 71 and bought my XR last fall. I figure I may be at the top of the age range. I am guessing this will be my last new motorcycle. I like everything about the XR except being stuck in traffic at 35 mph. The engine makes an odd sound at that pace. I find the seat even passable,though as the miles pile up I may change my mind about that.

How old are you S1000XR riders? I am 71 and bought my XR last fall. I figure I may be at the top of the age range. I am guessing this will be my last new motorcycle. I like everything about the XR except being stuck in traffic at 35 mph. The engine makes an odd sound at that pace. I find the seat even passable,though as the miles pile up I may change my mind about that.

63 here. I'll admit I added an Air Hawk inflatable seat cushion on mine for long trips. Helps my bony backside. I also use it as my trackbike and love it - such fun passing folks on dedicated trackbikes with slicks when I'm on street tires, and adventure bike with lights and license plate. Will be riding it a lot this season - BRP, Adirondacks, track.

56 years old! XR owner for almost 2 yrs and 32000 fantastic miles!

2mz9t74.jpg

Im weeks away from 60, and picked up the XR to ride all the great PNW backroad twisty's. Age appropriate hooliganism?

60 here as well. Bought a used 2016 model with less than 2500 miles and decked it out with side and top cases like my previous bikes, K75RT, R1150RT and K1300GT. Believe it or not, I ride it more leisurely through the curves than I did the K1300 which was a torque monster. Maybe I'll quicken my pace when I've had the bike a while, but for now, this is such a comfortable bike. The power is higher up on the band and it will never have the torque of the K1300, but it is so easy to ride long distances. Looking forward to some longer distance riding when the summer heat begins to fade.

XR Age

65 years old here. Just sold my '15 S1000R and bought an '18 XR. I also sold my '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 and my '04 Triumph Daytona 600/4. I guess it was time to thin the herd.

Still 36, so bringing down the average. I've put 2500 miles on my '18 since I purchased it a the beginning of July.

It's currently in the shop for a new waterpump as mine was leaking oil on to the CAT, but it's a great machine. I can't recommend the Nav VI for it enough.

56 when I bought my RR

I bought my S1KRR new in 2016, when I was 56. I had been riding a 2009 CBR600RR for 8 years, and was bored with it. Partly because my commute was boring, and didn't have time to ride outside of my commute (reason: life happens :). I decided either get a more exciting bike, or give up riding. (Give up riding, what is wrong with you!?! wink, wink). I read the original articles on BMW getting tired of not winning super sport (do I have the class right?), and finally gave in and built an in-line 4 for pro-am racers. But what a bike. It was revolutionary in 2009, with no measure in technology left unexamined and improved. So in 2016, a new RWB S1000RR showed up in my local bike shop, called "Second Wind Motorcycles" (they mostly sell used, but yes, some new.) Between the dealer's very generous trade-in, and BMW's sale, I could get a new RR for what would have cost me for a new 600cc rice rocket. Once I had the bike broken in, its performance is just jaw dropping. This was my first liter bike, and was astounded when it pulled harder in 2nd gear than 1st. To put things in perspective, the motorcycle that drove a the wooden stake into my first marriage (ride or be married to the wrong woman, I picked riding) was a 2004 Honda VFR 800. It had this weird 2/4 valve arrangement. Above 7K RPM, it would open a second pair of valves per cylinder, and the power curve would jump. So to make the VFR go fast, once rolling, you cranked the throttle 'full ahead bendix.' There was no need for such silly histrionics with the RR. Want to go fast, turn the throttle. And that amazing suspension, even on the crap side roads of New Hampshire, and going way above legal limits, it would absorb bumps and potholes and stay on track. I am now 58 and live in Colorado, and am looking forward to the occasional 70 degree day this winter where I can take the bike. I have inseam issues with this 1KRR, have modded the seat, and plan to get boots with taller heels.

And i have no issue with anyone writing TL;DR as comments.

XR at 60

Traded in my '16 R last May for an '18 XR. Loved the R, love this more. Nimble handling. Smooth as glass above 6k. Plentiful power.

Very comparable engine to a K13S I had years back.

I added an Airhawk XR seat this fall--love it.

Great bike. :)

Just traded in my RT for a 19XR and I am 52 years old and female. I am looking forward to the inline 6 versus the boxer engine plus the 100lbs of less weight.

Just traded in my RT for a 19XR and I am 52 years old and female. I am looking forward to the inline 6 versus the boxer engine plus the 100lbs of less weight.

you will have to look really far forward to find that inline 6 in your XR...they have an inline 4cyl. :)

Not quite an XR rider yet but I'm about 95% of the way to trading my '16 GSA for a new '18 XR. I'm 73; now or never. :)

Still not an XR rider, but I have progressed to XR owner. Didn’t trade the GSA, traded my beloved F800R instead. Riding will commence when spring arrives.

Last edited:
I bought my 2018 XR last March after owning my first BMW a 2003 K1200GT that I had purchased used in 2016. I have driven her almost 8500 miles and I turn 64 Monday.

2172057.jpg

72 and bought my XR in 2016 when they came out. Love the bike, it has been stone reliable. If you are an experienced rider and desire a performance bike for touring this is the one bike that will fill the bill. I also ride my RT for the cross country rides, but anything within 1000 miles the XR is the bike of choice.

Back