• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

S1000 XR demographics

Which LED bulb conversion did you use, and are you happy with it?

I'm 66, have a 2018 in Ocean Blue. I'm not fond of the color but love the bike otherwise. I too have a 30" inseam. I bought a Sargent low seat and lowered the forks in the triple-clamps by 10mm and all is good now.

Randy

I have the triple black but was actually looking for an Ocean Blue one. I love that color.
I can confirm that the MRA screen is the way to go to reduce helmet buffeting. At 5'8" with a 30" inseam it pushes the airflow over my head in the low position with the spoiler in the mid to high setting.
I went with the Cyclops kit, and used the same caps to protect the back of the light shell.

Man just put a hold on a 2018 XR to compliment my 2016 GSA. 68 y/o and am super excited about getting this bike. A lot of good memories on my present GSA and past RT, GS, KRS,KLT, KS etc. Always wanted the XR. I can't believe how GS it feels.

How old are you S1000XR riders? I am 71 and bought my XR last fall. I figure I may be at the top of the age range. I am guessing this will be my last new motorcycle. I like everything about the XR except being stuck in traffic at 35 mph. The engine makes an odd sound at that pace. I find the seat even passable,though as the miles pile up I may change my mind about that.

I'll be 65 when I receive by 2016 S1000XR later this week, I hope. Turn 66 the end of this month.

I'm 57 years young and just bought the 2020 S1000XR. I had the Ducati Multistrada prior to the XR and was extremely happy with the DUC but had over 50,000 miles on it so thought it was time to freshen up the touring bike. I like to travel the Appalachian Mountains, Blue Ridge and all those roads from Canada all the way to the Smokey Mountains.
I haven't been able to get to the USA on the bike yet due to Covid-19 and so have had to ride in Ontario this year, and I miss the USA roads and hospitality. Hope we're back on track for everyone's sake soon! Anyways, one thing about the new XR that I'm not too happy about is the throttle, and the spring tension. Yes, on a long highway ride it has a great cruise control feature that works amazingly, but when I want to ride the back roads I don't want the throttle to be so heavy that my wrist is killing me. Its a weird setup with this bike as it has a fly by wire setup and there really is no mechanical cables going to carburetors or anything like the old days. Basically its a spring loaded throttle body enclosed with special, and look like non-removable screws, that feed information by way of throttle position sensors to the electronic ECU. I'm really hoping to find someone that is experiencing the same concern about their throttle spring that might have some solution to the problem.

Attachments

• 20200705_085407-1.gif
    20200705_085407-1.gif
    69.8 KB · Views: 130
S1000XR's

I've replied a couple of times on this thread, it's been rolling since mid-2018. I'm 73 next month and just bought my 2nd XR. I had originally been looking for a 2016 XR last June while in lockdown where I live, and got my head turned by a great deal on a new, red one with low suspension (5'6" with 27.5" inseam). Took a month and rode the 20XR from Wisconsin, down the Mississippi and then east into Asheville, where my main storage unit is. From there ran it to Florida for the winter and then came home, where I had to self-isolate for 15 days, and two Covid tests before I could rejoin society (we are Covid Free where I live, and they are very careful about screening people this way, but it sucks if you like to travel). Anyway, while I was in self-isolation (2 bed waterfront condo on a Caribbean Island, hard to complain) I started looking for another 2016XR on the west side of the US, and found the perfect bike! 10,700 miles, all farkled up and the guy never rode it in the rain. Anyway, the bike is pristine, Akrapovic exhaust, Ted Porter Beemer shop suspension overhaul for low suspension ($$$), trick led turn signals front and rear, BMW rubber handlebar mount upgrade, custom this, custom that, custom seat, and all the orig stuff pretty much brand new with it fora very competitive price. Just caught the guy at the right time, wife didn't like the bike, house up for sale, moving, etc. etc. The bad part, I had friends pick it up, I probably won't see it until April/May next year, when I can travel again (hopefully the vaccine will kill Covid and the travel restrictions will be removed). The bike is in Washington state so no point going out there until it starts to warm up, maybe early May. Meanwhile, if travel resumes, I'll be playing with the 20XR in Florida. Hope the vaccine gets here soon:

samson_scott-shred.jpg

Question about the
TECHMAX Mini H7 LED Headlight Bulbs,60W 10000Lm 4700Lux 6500K Cool White

they ask for vehicle and there are no motorcycles listed soooooooo which model BMW car did you type in or is this one

size fits all

thanks

Mike

Bought at 51

Bought mine at 51. She's a 2018 XR in Ocean Blue. Absolutely a great bike!

Just added a 2018 RT to the mix for touring.

But, I must say the most fun bike I have ever owned is my 2015 Yamaha FZ-09. It is an unbelievable combination of power, low weight, flick-ability and low purchase price new. Makes me grin ear to ear every time I hop on it. All that with Yamaha reliability!

Cheers...

Bought mine at 51. She's a 2018 XR in Ocean Blue. Absolutely a great bike!

Just added a 2018 RT to the mix for touring.

But, I must say the most fun bike I have ever owned is my 2015 Yamaha FZ-09. It is an unbelievable combination of power, low weight, flick-ability and low purchase price new. Makes me grin ear to ear every time I hop on it. All that with Yamaha reliability!

Cheers...
Cool!
Welcome to the forum!
Gary

Fell in love with my first, of MANY, demos in 2015 when I was 49... finally became an "owner" when I was 52.... I'm one of the 'young' whippersnappers here! :rocker

Bought my 2016 at age 56

I bought my 2016 new when I was 56, still have it. Great bike! I've done some long trips starting when it was barely past break-in with a 4500 mile ride from southern NJ up through Quebec, across the Trans-Labrador Highway and back home. Last year I did a solo trip out to SD to meet family for a vacation in the Black Hills. It really shines on the twisty mountain roads down through VA, WVA, NC etc - the bike is a blast in that environment!

This is my first BMW bike, I've never owned a boxer, so thinking it might be time to trade for a 1250 RS.

I bought my 2016 new when I was 56, still have it. Great bike! I've done some long trips starting when it was barely past break-in with a 4500 mile ride from southern NJ up through Quebec, across the Trans-Labrador Highway and back home. Last year I did a solo trip out to SD to meet family for a vacation in the Black Hills. It really shines on the twisty mountain roads down through VA, WVA, NC etc - the bike is a blast in that environment!

This is my first BMW bike, I've never owned a boxer, so thinking it might be time to trade for a 1250 RS.

Cool!
Welcome to the forum!
Be safe.
Gary

I've replied a couple of times on this thread, it's been rolling since mid-2018. I'm 73 next month and just bought my 2nd XR. I had originally been looking for a 2016 XR last June while in lockdown where I live, and got my head turned by a great deal on a new, red one with low suspension (5'6" with 27.5" inseam). Took a month and rode the 20XR from Wisconsin, down the Mississippi and then east into Asheville, where my main storage unit is. From there ran it to Florida for the winter and then came home, where I had to self-isolate for 15 days, and two Covid tests before I could rejoin society (we are Covid Free where I live, and they are very careful about screening people this way, but it sucks if you like to travel). Anyway, while I was in self-isolation (2 bed waterfront condo on a Caribbean Island, hard to complain) I started looking for another 2016XR on the west side of the US, and found the perfect bike! 10,700 miles, all farkled up and the guy never rode it in the rain. Anyway, the bike is pristine, Akrapovic exhaust, Ted Porter Beemer shop suspension overhaul for low suspension ($$$), trick led turn signals front and rear, BMW rubber handlebar mount upgrade, custom this, custom that, custom seat, and all the orig stuff pretty much brand new with it fora very competitive price. Just caught the guy at the right time, wife didn't like the bike, house up for sale, moving, etc. etc. The bad part, I had friends pick it up, I probably won't see it until April/May next year, when I can travel again (hopefully the vaccine will kill Covid and the travel restrictions will be removed). The bike is in Washington state so no point going out there until it starts to warm up, maybe early May. Meanwhile, if travel resumes, I'll be playing with the 20XR in Florida. Hope the vaccine gets here soon:

View attachment 81098

Is that picture at the Milwaukee BMW shop that is now closed? Nice bike! One more question...which Klim jacket is that? I have some interest in a new jacket, but am unsure if a new one will be as nice as my old Olympia AST 2.

Not me, but I'm pretty sure that's the 2018+ Klim Latitude jacket. I just bought one with the matching pants, but haven't tried it out yet. Certainly high quality, but it is a bit stiff right out of the box. The sleeves run a bit long so when reaching for the bars you get good coverage and the neck is not as large as some people say. I would certainly put it on a higher level than an Olympia product, but that's just me. No liners, just the gortex shell with armor including back.

If you are interested in the pants, really study the sizing as they tend to run about 1.5 - 2 inch larger in the waist than your jeans (ie: I wear a 34 jean but a 32 latitude pant).

Thanks for your input Speedy. I usually spend some time at the Chicago Motorcycle Show checking out the jackets, but no show this year. There was a Klim Badlands there last year for $800 and I think I should have bought it at that price. My BMW dealer carries Klim so once I get my second dose of the vaccine I am going to go in and take a look at the jackets he has in stock.

New S1000XR

Just switched to a 2021 S1000XR at age 65. Just could not handle my sports bikes, mainly Honda’s with some Suzuki, anymore. It will take some getting used to but sitting upright is a huge relief.

For those that have had these bikes for a while I had to wait for the stop sale and the switch to the Brembo brakes. Having started to ride it I am getting an intermittent warning on the TFT along the lines of Brake Light Failure, see Authorised Service.

So far I have been told that this is not the same as others have seen and so far BMW have not found a solution. Has anyone experienced similar and how was it fixed

Thanks

I bought my 2020 Ice Gray XR just prior to my 53rd birthday last September. Great bike, so far. Picking up a C400X this week for buzzing around town. Should reduce the chance of picking up one of those traffic violations the XR is always asking me to get involved in.Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 12.27.48 PM.jpg

Back