Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 22 of 22

Thread: Well, that was interesting: seat height adj. 2016 RT

  1. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by rick601 View Post
    I saw the two steps but I can't seem to see how it drops onto the lower step on the low seat setting..To do this the rubber bushings on the front adjustment would have to let the seat move foreward a bit to drop to the low step in the back- I can't make it do this. Have you accomplished this or just seen the "step"?

    Sorry to beat a dead (dying?) horse but the difference is SO dramatic it's worth seeing if I can get a flat low setting.
    Because I'm quite new to the bike, I've been trying the two different heights to find the best setting for me, so I've used the seat both on the Low and High positions, with each properly engaging the Low or High "step" at the rear. If you flip the adjuster from High to Low you will see that the rubber bushings are actually moved about 12mm (1/2") forward when on "Low" in relation to some fixed point on the bike. This lets the rear of the seat engage the lower step when the adjuster is set on "Low". On the "High" setting of the adjuster, the bushings move back 12mm and the rear of the seat engages with the higher step. Check to ensure that there is no damage to the engagements on the seat pan that interface both with the rubber bushings at the front, and the steps at the rear. Other than that, I'm out of ideas, so good luck with solving your issue.

  2. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Cooperstown NY
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkypete View Post
    Because I'm quite new to the bike, I've been trying the two different heights to find the best setting for me, so I've used the seat both on the Low and High positions, with each properly engaging the Low or High "step" at the rear. If you flip the adjuster from High to Low you will see that the rubber bushings are actually moved about 12mm (1/2") forward when on "Low" in relation to some fixed point on the bike. This lets the rear of the seat engage the lower step when the adjuster is set on "Low". On the "High" setting of the adjuster, the bushings move back 12mm and the rear of the seat engages with the higher step. Check to ensure that there is no damage to the engagements on the seat pan that interface both with the rubber bushings at the front, and the steps at the rear. Other than that, I'm out of ideas, so good luck with solving your issue.
    Thanks. I think I see the issue. The anchor for the tank bag (dealer installed, BMW bag!) prevents the seat from going forward enough to drop into the lower step. A little miscling might have done the trick. Itís tight!

  3. #18
    OK this is nuts. I also got that "sliding into the tank" effect with stock seat set low on my 2015 RT. I measured it and the rear of the seat was at same height relative to the passenger seat whether the adjuster was set low or high. However my Sargent seat changes height both front and back depending on the setting.

    Now I have to figure out why my stock seat misbehaves before the warranty ends in the fall.

  4. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by jfm5440 View Post
    OK this is nuts. I also got that "sliding into the tank" effect with stock seat set low on my 2015 RT. I measured it and the rear of the seat was at same height relative to the passenger seat whether the adjuster was set low or high. However my Sargent seat changes height both front and back depending on the setting.

    Now I have to figure out why my stock seat misbehaves before the warranty ends in the fall.
    Holy cow. This time I lifted the rear up at about a 30 degree angle and pushed it down towards front and it dropped right in to the other catch on the back making it level.

    Craziest thing is when I got this last year I did not touch the seat and remembered not liking the forward pitch. I bet the previous owner had been riding it in the low front/high rear setting all along. Bet he got it from the dealer that way (he was not a DIY kind of guy).
    2015 R1200RT
    Werks QuietRide

  5. #20
    So, I had to give this a try. '16RT. I think it's now going to be staying in the higher position, I was surprised at how much better it felt. The bike is so tall that I really didn't think I needed to be any farther from the planet while riding, but it's so. It doesn't seem to be a farther reach to the ground, just a better angle.

  6. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Cooperstown NY
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by Stebe View Post
    So, I had to give this a try. '16RT. I think it's now going to be staying in the higher position, I was surprised at how much better it felt. The bike is so tall that I really didn't think I needed to be any farther from the planet while riding, but it's so. It doesn't seem to be a farther reach to the ground, just a better angle.
    **DING** same here!

  7. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by rick601 View Post
    **DING** same here!
    Yep, appreciate your posting, I'd have never tried it if you hadn't.

Similar Threads

  1. BMW Seat Height
    By cjack in forum Women of the MOA
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-13-2018, 07:41 PM
  2. Best aftermarket seat that won't raise the seat height?
    By barry5k in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-21-2017, 10:57 PM
  3. Seat height
    By ghyber in forum Wedge K-bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-28-2010, 09:21 PM
  4. Seat Height
    By Figaro1100R in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-29-2009, 02:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •