Thread: Need a Rally in DAB

Need a Rally in DAB

I really think a Rally is needed in Daytona Beach Florida.......
    J C Hughes
    "When you play, play hard, when you work don't play at all".
    Colonel Theodore Roosevelt

While I don't disagree with you, countless untold voices wills say it's too warm there in the rally season months. These are the same voices that will have forgotten the other 'Really Damn Hot' (c) rallies we've had. I say why not! Or Texas, or New Mexico, or Arizona. Mind you, I'm one who believes that the ride to the rally is the event, not the event itself - that's just a reason to be in XX (insert two letter state/province code here)...
    Dave...
    ----------------
    15 R1200 RT, 12 G650GS
    83 XN85 D Turbo

Too Warm?.....stop inventing cooling vests, vented jackets, rooms with AC, show the world one motorcycle rally at ground zero of motorcycle meets a different rally, the BMW crowd, it can work.
    J C Hughes

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I really think a Rally is needed in Daytona Beach Florida.......
    +1 !

I'll travel to Palm Beach County again this August on a bike. No big deal with the heat. Dress for it, hydrate and use common sense.

Love the Sunshine State!!!!!!!
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar

Rally in DAB

Jon, Suddenly sounds like you have WWAAAAYYY too much time on your hands.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Mike I've posted this before and usual get a thumbs down in the first sentence of the first post, this is the most thumbs up ever. Just think how history making the rally would be, especially the contrast to what they are use to. The city knows how to handle mass gatherings, the venue has everything needed for lodging vendors and fun
    J C Hughes

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar

DAB Rally

I thought the same thing about the Charleston, WV MOA National Rally in 2003. Try something new, have all the activities in one central location, all vendors and seminars in one air conditioned building, lots of good riding, yada, yada, yada. Still think it was a good idea.

The severe bite marks on my ass are finally disappearing with only slight scaring.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post

The severe bite marks on my ass are finally disappearing with only slight scaring.

Friedle
    You took the chance, you paid the price. I know of what you speak.

Interestingly, the original vision of the MOA foundation was to have a piece of property located in Daytona Beach with a track, a campground and museum and have an annual event there. I think this was an outstanding idea and a much better use of money raised through any foundation.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Come on down. Just dress for the occasion like we do when we travel north. Let the area experience a completely different two wheeled culture then they are accustomed to that would surely generate tons of free press for the marque. Of course I am a tad bit prejudiced.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    My FIL lives there and we visit every year. The entire culture appears to be based on shopping, straight roads, NASCAR wannabes in their Honda Civics with fart can exhausts...and pirates.

We generally last two days before we're bored out of our minds.

Pete
    '12 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Tulliver and Glenlivet

http://travelswithbarley.com/

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    My FIL lives there and we visit every year. The entire culture appears to be based on shopping, straight roads, NASCAR wannabes in their Honda Civics with fart can exhausts...and pirates.

We generally last two days before we're bored out of our minds.

Pete
    Ride out west of town, or north

Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    I thought the same thing about the Charleston, WV MOA National Rally in 2003. Try something new, have all the activities in one central location, all vendors and seminars in one air conditioned building, lots of good riding, yada, yada, yada. Still think it was a good idea.

Friedle
    It was an excellent venue and a good rally. There were some warts. Some folks in the habit of drinking in the beer garden and stumbling to their tents didn't like it. The camping by the river was substandard. We camped on campus and it was fine, even though different. The bus drivers for the promised shuttle system essentially walked off the job after so-many hours, leaving no buses in the evening when we needed them the most. The big problem was that some old fart traditionalists screamed loudly at the Board which believed the histrionics and ducked and ran. There was never any real effort to dissect the few problems and learn how to do better. They just chucked the whole idea. Until they invented "Getaways" as money makers for the organization. I can think of several rallies over the years that had more problems than this one.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/