• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Spoke Wheel Question

915e

My new to me 2013 GS has the spoke wheels. I am wondering if the spokes have to be re-torqued on a regular basis as part of the scheduled maintenance? My bike has just over 30K miles on it and all services/maintenance work was performed on a regular basis at BMW by the previous owner.

Looking at the wheels, it should be pretty easy, using a toque wrench and a Torx socket. My concern would be if the factory used threadlocker on the spokes which I wouldn't want to disturb. My wheels are true and perfectly balanced. Maybe I am just overthinking things and should leave well enough alone since I didn't see anything in the service schedule addressing the spokes and a search here didn't come up with anything. If it matters, the bike has seen very little if any off-road use.

Yep, you are overthinking it. Unless there is an issue with the wheels, leave them alone and enjoy riding! :)

It's In The Tone

Howdy,
On my last spoked motorcycle I would quickly check the tension of the spokes by sliding a small box end wrench over the spokes, not enough to damage them but enough to get them to "ring". A tight spoke will have a musical ring when touched a loose one will have a very distinct thud sound.
Later,
Norm

Chief, adjusting spoke tension is not a job for a rookie. Checking for a loose spoke by sound is one thing but tightening, adjusting and making a wheel true is a black art best left to the pros.

I know there is an art to it replacing spoke or trueing a wheel and you need a stand and probably a dial indicator; although I have those tools I wouldn't attempt doing it. I was just wondering if it torqueing spokes is a scheduled maintenance. You hurt my feelings when you called me a rookie..........just kidding.

The owners man. for a 2017 GSA says to tap spokes with a screwdriver handle and listen, you will hear a loose one does not sound the same as rest.

Back