• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear tire crown flattening

40dcoe

Had my 6,000 mile service done recently. Tech said I needed new tires, as rear tire is 'flat spotted.' It's not really a spot, the whole center crown is worn.

My examination showed plenty of tread left on rear (5/32 center; 7/32 side). Handling seems fine. The flat spotting has probably existed for a while.

So, is this a real problem? I see no reason not to ride a few thousand more miles on them, though the front probably won't last but another one or two thousand.

I ride mostly straight line, hence more center wear than side wear.

I believe 2/32" is a safe minimum tread depth. I think wear bars start to show at 1/32".

If your handling seemed fine, I would have kept the tire you just replaced - but that's me.

If you do much long distance riding, even on two lanes, it's hard to avoid getting a flat spot in the center.
If you cant feel it when leaned over, don't worry about it.

What brand of tire?
Metzler have been known to start the morning out fine and by noon show cords

What brand of tire?
Metzler have been known to start the morning out fine and by noon show cords

Wow! Is this factual, or anecdotal? If you have personally experienced this, what type of riding were you doing? I have never heard this said about any particular brand of tire.

Wow! Is this factual, or anecdotal? If you have personally experienced this, what type of riding were you doing? I have never heard this said about any particular brand of tire.

Some tires without a center tread groove or a groove that crosses the center of the tire can wear down to cords before it's down to the center most wear indicators.

One of the reasons I have the Dunlop Roadsmart III tires on now, is they have a tire groove that reaches out to the center. The Metzeler tires I had on last did not and wore down solely in the middle. FWIW, they seem to be flattening (like every tire will), but the transition to the side tread is still rounded.

Having flattened wear on your tires is not unsafe or a reason to change tires, but you do need to be observant of how much wear is actually happening.

Ride more canyons!:bolt

:dance:dance:dance

+1. What kind of riding are you planning on? If staying local, ride with what you got. If you're planning a couple thousand mile trip, I'd change 'em out and start fresh. No need scrambling around on a trip to find a replacement.

The Z6 was particularly problematic. Wear indicators were nowhere near the center of the tire. As a tire flattened the center could be very near the cord with wear indicators still showing plenty of tread. I have personally seen a couple of tires that visually appeared perfectly fine that wound up showing a spot of cord within 100 miles.

+1. What kind of riding are you planning on? If staying local, ride with what you got. If you're planning a couple thousand mile trip, I'd change 'em out and start fresh. No need scrambling around on a trip to find a replacement.

Trying to find a tire at a reasonable price on an immediate schedule while on a trip is aggravating at best and traumatic in some cases. Getting a puncture is enough risk. The added risk that a tire will wear out on a trip is not worth it.

Yes the metzlers my 1600 looked fine in the am and by noon had cord showing, i’ve Bought 2 bikes since each came with metzler’s replaced at 3300 and 4000 miles, I don’t trust them

I think every bike in Arizona has flat "spotted" tires! As others have said, this is not an issue unless it is so bad it is affecting turn-in. I am not a Metzeler fan for the reasons stated, as well as that I find Pirelli tires to perform better. Ride on!

Thanks for responses!

Based on above advise, I'm going to keep riding them. Thx. But I am alerted to pay more attention to them. Fronts may go before rears because of tread depth. I found my tread depth indicator tool, and will use it.

Virtually all my riding is two-hour jaunts, into the surrounding counties.

Factual! Happened on Z8's on an F800GT. Left town and all was well until 350m later I was shocked to see cords. I know cords were not showing because at about 80m out I had a nail puncture flat so had a very close look at the rear tire.

I think every bike in Arizona has flat "spotted" tires! As others have said, this is not an issue unless it is so bad it is affecting turn-in. I am not a Metzeler fan for the reasons stated, as well as that I find Pirelli tires to perform better. Ride on!

:thumb You got that right, all my bikes. Put 100+ miles a day, mostly freeway, from San Tan Valley to Tempe/Phoenix area and can vouch for that. The stock tires on this RT are holding up very well for me. Mild center wear on the rear and mild cupping on the front at 11k miles, not affecting turn in yet. Going to try the Road 5's next, been hearing good things. Cheers!

left over tread

I can't remember waiting on minimum tread measurement to change tires. I like the feel of a round tire too much. Keep in mind, if enough rubber has worn off to render the tire flattened in the middle, you do not have much rubber left on top of the cords, and in most cases that is not measureable.

In my last instance, you would never have noticed any flattening. I installed Metzeler Roadtec 01s just prior to a trip from Seattle to Utah and back. I put probably 4500 miles on the tires in that trip. My bike had come with Z8s and they were changed out at 12,000 miles with some tread left, so I expected at least that many on the 01s.

I went to Cycle Gear one evening, and the evening light was just right to highlight the rear tire. The center had picked up some dust in the parking lot leaving a stripe about 1 inch wide...and it highlighted just how much that center had worn...while all around it, the tire looked new. I was horrified. I had about 4 days left prior to leaving for South Dakota, and I knew it would be a problem finding a tire and getting into a shop to change it. If you just did a casual look at the tire, you would've thought it had another 5-6000 miles left on it. It still looked pretty new. And it didn't show in the handling. I had to change it out in South Dakota and waste the better part of a day doing so. I'd never have made it back home otherwise. It lasted only 6000 miles.

Comparing tire performance and wear patterns on an F bike to that of a tire on a K or R bike will reveal little useful data.

Back