Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rear tire crown flattening

Quote Originally Posted by azgman View Post
    I think every bike in Arizona has flat "spotted" tires! As others have said, this is not an issue unless it is so bad it is affecting turn-in. I am not a Metzeler fan for the reasons stated, as well as that I find Pirelli tires to perform better. Ride on!
    You got that right, all my bikes. Put 100+ miles a day, mostly freeway, from San Tan Valley to Tempe/Phoenix area and can vouch for that. The stock tires on this RT are holding up very well for me. Mild center wear on the rear and mild cupping on the front at 11k miles, not affecting turn in yet. Going to try the Road 5's next, been hearing good things. Cheers!

P Monk

left over tread

I can't remember waiting on minimum tread measurement to change tires. I like the feel of a round tire too much. Keep in mind, if enough rubber has worn off to render the tire flattened in the middle, you do not have much rubber left on top of the cords, and in most cases that is not measureable.
    P. Monk
    74 R90/6 (the Black Hole) Harvey couldn't kill it. . 09 R1200 GS, drowned in Harvey replaced by 2011 R1200RT. Wife, 1953 model survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant.

In my last instance, you would never have noticed any flattening. I installed Metzeler Roadtec 01s just prior to a trip from Seattle to Utah and back. I put probably 4500 miles on the tires in that trip. My bike had come with Z8s and they were changed out at 12,000 miles with some tread left, so I expected at least that many on the 01s.

I went to Cycle Gear one evening, and the evening light was just right to highlight the rear tire. The center had picked up some dust in the parking lot leaving a stripe about 1 inch wide...and it highlighted just how much that center had worn...while all around it, the tire looked new. I was horrified. I had about 4 days left prior to leaving for South Dakota, and I knew it would be a problem finding a tire and getting into a shop to change it. If you just did a casual look at the tire, you would've thought it had another 5-6000 miles left on it. It still looked pretty new. And it didn't show in the handling. I had to change it out in South Dakota and waste the better part of a day doing so. I'd never have made it back home otherwise. It lasted only 6000 miles.
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

Comparing tire performance and wear patterns on an F bike to that of a tire on a K or R bike will reveal little useful data.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Comparing tire performance and wear patterns on an F bike to that of a tire on a K or R bike will reveal little useful data.
    I realize that an F bike is not a "real" BMW. But let me spell it out for you.
    • Tire wore in the center only. See above post to note how tires on K bikes wear in the center also. Amazing! I never would've thought a F bike would wear tires in the same area as a K or R bike.
    • Tire did not wear on the sides. It looked like it was still new. Do K and R bikes do that?
    • Past performance of even the same manufacturer's tires, does not indicate what new tires will do.
    • And it can even be half the tire life you expected from the same brand tire. On a new and "improved" tire.

• A freebee...if you buy a tire with no tread crossing the center...you'll never know how close you're getting to the cords.

And you wonder why people are dropping BMW MOA???

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by daboo View Post
    I realize that an F bike is not a "real" BMW. But let me spell it out for you.
    • Tire wore in the center only. See above post to note how tires on K bikes wear in the center also. Amazing! I never would've thought a F bike would wear tires in the same area as a K or R bike.
    • Tire did not wear on the sides. It looked like it was still new. Do K and R bikes do that?
    • Past performance of even the same manufacturer's tires, does not indicate what new tires will do.
    • And it can even be half the tire life you expected from the same brand tire. On a new and "improved" tire.

• A freebee...if you buy a tire with no tread crossing the center...you'll never know how close you're getting to the cords.

And you wonder why people are dropping BMW MOA???

Chris
    For heavens sake do not be so quick to take offense and let your oft stated feelings about the F bikes and their riders getting no respect boil over. Annie has two F bikes in the shop with a total of 85,000 miles on them and I believe they are fine motorcycles. What I meant by my statement is that the K and R bikes are heavier and more powerful than the F bikes and use larger tires. These factors mean the K and R bikes tend to be harder on tires. They cup the fronts readily which is not common on the F bike and they square off the rear tire more quickly. The Rodney Dangerfield imitation is not helping your cause.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

So the RT and RS use the same size tires. The K1600GT uses a tire 10 cm wider. The F bikes will reach the same speed or more than the RT at @140 mph. And while the F bikes weigh less, I see no reason why thousands of miles of riding on straight roads doesn't lead to the same conclusion...that they wear in the center.

I'm not taking offense. Who is Rodney Dangerfield, by the way???

But I do notice that there is a tendency to dismiss any input from owners of the F bikes around here. Tires wear in the center, no matter what manufacturer your bike is made from, or what model it is. The question I was responding to was if wear in the center was factual or anecdotal. It's not anecdotal. If you ride on straight roads, you will wear in the center of the tire. It doesn't matter if your bike is Japanese or German.

tire wear.jpg

You on the other hand, blew off any input from a F bike owner. I didn't. You did. Tell me...what tire wear do you experience on the F800 bikes you have? Is there more wear in the center? Or on the sides? Or do you trailer your bikes to the dirt roads?

And again...there's a question as to why the membership of the BMW MOA is declining??? Well guess what...look at the statistics of the forum. If you don't have a boxer, you don't have a BMW.

Nothing I wrote required that you have a boxer or a R or K bike to understand and apply to the OP's question.

Chris

Tires

Wow you westerners seem cranky!

It's the rain in Seattle...
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Whoa Nellie

We own different model R's, from Airheads to Hexheads, different K designated models(Brick & Wedge), a Thumper F and a couple of KTM thumpers. Folks sure get knotted up over which model they own and I just think it's a bit much at times, they all have two wheels and can make life fun...Next. There are owners of every model active on this forum, it's up to each group to add value to the individual subset forum sections.

Our riding styles between H and myself differ on same models using same brand tires are huge.She is lighter and doesn't grip and rip as often as I do, so, her tires last longer typically. Me, if I get 8K out of a rear on my GSA, 6K on the very light KTM690 or even 8K on the /6, I am happy. Bike weight, weight bias per bike design, rider combo weight, do you get to sixth gear before you reach 45mph or do you reach the speed limit at warp speed in second gear are all causal factors and why no two riders can compare a darn thing.
    All tires on AVERAGE wear in center more, some due to roads ridden, some from fast launching,some from pressure experimentation over/under bike manufactures recommendation...I too do this so chill.
    I check pressures before we roll a bike out of the lineup and they are all over the map...some stay constant for weeks, others need adjusting regularly whether tubed or tubeless. Some here check pressures several times a day, some weekly, some rely on their TPM's exclusively. I ride with a guy at times who rarely checks anything
    The Metzelers for years would fool even the mileage kings...I have pointed to many a rider at a gas stop showing steel cords...they all say it looked fine a few hours before. Some believe they should get 18K for the money they spend and will push a tire to the bitter end in spite of the safety of their own hides...frugal or anal...your pick.
    We start long trips with fresh tires regardless of how low the mileage as I cringe at time lost and pricing out of my control.

I change a lot of tires and have seen every brand on every model of BMW at some point, no two are ever the same depending on time of year and riding style for that tires life.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by daboo View Post

Who is Rodney Dangerfield, by the way???
    "I'm tellin' ya, I don't get no respect, no respect at all...."

Question Z6 problematic?

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    The Z6 was particularly problematic. Wear indicators were nowhere near the center of the tire. As a tire flattened the center could be very near the cord with wear indicators still showing plenty of tread. I have personally seen a couple of tires that visually appeared perfectly fine that wound up showing a spot of cord within 100 miles.
    You say “was”... do you know if this is still the case? I rode a rented 2016 RT, 2500 km around Spain last month, bike was equipped with Metzlers and I really liked them- lots of rain and they handled well wet and dry. My 2015 RT is ready for new rubber after 10K on the original Michelin Pilot Roads and considering changing to the Metzler Z6. But of course not if this tire still exhibits problems.
    Jerry Sjostrom - Chicago Region

Also considering the Conti Road Attack 3GT but I have no data other than many miles on other bikes equipped with Continental tires.
    Last edited by 60857; 05-14-2018 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 60857 View Post
    Also considering the Conti Road Attack 3GT but I have no data other than many miles on other bikes equipped with Continental tires.
    Hello,

I put on Conti RA3 GT on a '16 RT about 500m ago and you can follow discussion in the link below. Line holding in corners is vastly improved over Pirelli Angel GT, and so far the cost for this appears to be slower low speed steering. Dry grip seems better than PR4GT and Angle GT. It's early still but so far so good. I was told the non-GT variant has much quicker steering, but I'm not sure if that means holding lines in corners suffers as it did w/ Angle GT.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-serie...ml#post1858409