Thread: 2008 GSA Battery Ground Location ?

2008 GSA Battery Ground Location ?

Does anyone know where the battery ground is located ?
    My research has found that it's under the gas tank, attached to the left side of the motor, near the alternator ?
    Does that sound right ?

If so... can the gas tank be displaced enough to get to the grounding point without having to fully remove it ?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave
    2008 1200GSA
    MOA# 213524
    Past Bikes: BMW F650CS (for sale)

Never mind... Found it

Never mind... Found it
    Dave
    2008 1200GSA
    MOA# 213524

Quote Originally Posted by dsdragt View Post
    Never mind... Found it
    Maybe you could tell us where you found it and if the tank has to be removed to reach it? The lack of response suggests that no one else had answers to your questions. You are now our subject matter expert!
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    Maybe you could tell us where you found it and if the tank has to be removed to reach it? The lack of response suggests that no one else had answers to your questions. You are now our subject matter expert!
    lkraus,

Certainly...I'd be glad to tell you. Hopefully someone else can this information as well.

First of all...The reason why I did this was to find out why I was having engine shut issues. Suspect... bad battery ground.

The battery ground wire (at least on the 2008 GSA) attach point is located on the engine case just aft and to the left of the alternator. You can trace the ground wire (brown) from the battery forward up to a certain point and it disappears under the gas tank.

So yes... you will definitely need to either remove and/or displace the gas tank. I choose to displace mine due to the amount fuel that was in it. If you employ another persons help, it can be done.

In brief... here's what I did to accomplish this task:

• Remove seat.
    • Remove all of the panels that surround the tank.
    • Remove the filler cap to get the top panel off and reinstalled if desired. (I reinstalled it due to amount of gas in the tank)
    • Remove the beak. (The tank will snag on it and prevents it's removal)
    • Remove the air inlet snorkel.
    • Disconnected fuel pump electrics. (2 each connectors left hand side of tank)
    • Disconnected fuel lines. (2 each quick disconnects, one left and one right)
    • Disconnect 2 each fuel vent lines.
    • Removed 4 each screws that hold the tank in place.
    • From the aft end of the tank, lift it up at a slight angle and then move it aft to remove and/or displace. (I moved mine aft about 10", just enough to get to the ground wire)

The ground wire was found to be secure, but it had corrosion/oxidation on it. Disconnected it and cleaned with emery cloth, reconnected and applied some dielectric grease to the secured ground point. I did this to the battery terminals as well just be safe.

I put everything back together, (minus the plastic panels, haven't done that yet), the bike started just fine. So far there seems to be no issues of unwanted shut downs. Time will tell, we'll see what happens...

Tank Displaced. Circle shows general area of grounding point

20180509_205309.jpg

Ground wire prior to reattachment, side view

20180509_205414.jpg

Ground wire prior to reattachment, top view

20180509_205451_001.jpg
    Dave
    2008 1200GSA
    MOA# 213524

They look bad ass without the plastic. I just traded my 08 for a 17.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Great post! Hopefully, that's a one-time task.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Not near as bad as the Oilhead bikes where the ground cable from the battery attached to the top of the engine case underneath the battery box. To check, clean, or tighten the main ground connection required that the battery box be removed. Which thus required that the ABS module be removed. Which thus required that the brake lines be disconnected.

A guy had to deal with this issue one time at the Nebraska Rally. Now, a rally site at a small town fairgrounds on Saturday afternoon is not the best time and place to have this problem. So he borrowed my bike, rode to town, and bought a battery cable. We wired the new cable as a ground cable to an accessible frame bolt. Two years later, at the same rally site, I ran into him again. He still had his workaround ground cable working just fine.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by junkjohn View Post
    They look bad ass without the plastic. I just traded my 08 for a 17.
    I told the wife without the plastic it looks like a transformer from the movies.
    Dave
    2008 1200GSA
    MOA# 213524

Thanks!

Yes... one can hope. But at least now I know what's involved. I'm pretty sure the grounding wire hadn't been touched since being on the factory assembly line.

And while I had it apart I did an oil and filter change, simple enough.
    Also changed out the air filter. Not sure when the previous owner had done that last, but it was filthy. He had installed a K&N, but it looked like it hadn't been cleaned in quite some time. So I decided to toss it out and replaced it with a factory OEM. Engine sounds like it is breathing much easier.

Dave
    Dave
    2008 1200GSA
    MOA# 213524

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Not near as bad as the Oilhead bikes where the ground cable from the battery attached to the top of the engine case underneath the battery box. To check, clean, or tighten the main ground connection required that the battery box be removed. Which thus required that the ABS module be removed. Which thus required that the brake lines be disconnected.

A guy had to deal with this issue one time at the Nebraska Rally. Now, a rally site at a small town fairgrounds on Saturday afternoon is not the best time and place to have this problem. So he borrowed my bike, rode to town, and bought a battery cable. We wired the new cable as a ground cable to an accessible frame bolt. Two years later, at the same rally site, I ran into him again. He still had his workaround ground cable working just fine.
    Wow! That sounds like a chore! Plus being on the road traveling? Doesn't sound like fun.
    Dave
    2008 1200GSA
    MOA# 213524

Analysis + Tenacity = Mastery

I admire both the thought process and the tenacity displayed in running this to ground. It would have taken me awhile, if ever, to identify this as the problem so it was a good catch. I once had an entire aircraft avionics stack in (comm radios, nav aids, transponders, etc.) intermittently go tango uniform because of what turned out to be a bad ground in a daisy chain. The most obvious solution was of course the last one I considered 'cuz well, I built the wiring harness. sigh....
    "Soló el que ensaya lo absurdo es capaz de conquistar lo imposible." Miguel de Unamuno 1905

Mark - Las Cruces, NM - '10 K1300S and '17 R1200 GSA

Quote Originally Posted by 1957mpd View Post
    I admire both the thought process and the tenacity displayed in running this to ground. It would have taken me awhile, if ever, to identify this as the problem so it was a good catch. I once had an entire aircraft avionics stack in (comm radios, nav aids, transponders, etc.) intermittently go tango uniform because of what turned out to be a bad ground in a daisy chain. The most obvious solution was of course the last one I considered 'cuz well, I built the wiring harness. sigh....
    Thanks Mark!

It was a learning process and I wasn't going to let it beat me!

Plus I can't imagine what the dealer would have charged for the work involved.
    Dave
    2008 1200GSA
    MOA# 213524