• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2018 K1600 GTL Engine Cutout

So the issue I experienced was not the throttle position sensor as originally indicated. Apparently the was a short in the throttle grip, which is what they replaced. Bike seem to be running fine, so time will tell.

Scruffy

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Well, the initial fix didn't resolve my problem,so the bike went back to the shop, a week before a three day overnight group ride to the Twisted Sisters. This time the resolution from BMW was to clean some connections with a cleaner the dealership had to get from BMW. All seemed fine, the bike ran fine for two days, including riding the Twisted Sisters, with one exception in that reverse stopped working day two. Then on day three heading home my engine problem returns. Not a lot of fun as I was I a group of 5 other riders on narrow two lane roads with poor to no shoulder. Happened three time in just a few miles. It was a chilly morning so I had my heated grips and seat on and after the third time I turned all that off and to my surprise I didn't have another issue almost all the way home, and reverse started working again. Then less than 2 miles to the house three more episodes of engine problem. Headed back to the shop on Wednesday. I am rapidly loosing confidence in this bike, and BMWs ability to solve the issue. I certainly won't be going far from home after the next "fix" until it works for a long time.

Scruffy

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

You can get a very basic “charge/voltage” indicator (Amazon) or local parts store. They just insert into the cigarette lighter plug so you can have an easy check on the charging system. If you have a “Battery Tender” type SAE two prong connector, BT makes a rather slick one as well. I have both.
Note- these are not lab-grade measurement devices. They are a quick was to see a sudden change in the voltage of your bike or vehicle.
OM

Back