Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: 2018 K1600 GTL Engine Cutout

  1. #1
    Dave Norton
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Sedona, AZ
    Posts
    10

    2018 K1600 GTL Engine Cutout

    Just ended a 5 day 1,110 mile trip. Yesterday morning, I jumped on the bike and started out of a parking lot to the street. I could only go 12-15 MPH and nothing over about 1,500 RPM! Needless to say, I didn't get out into traffic. I shut the entire bike and ignition off and started over and then it ran fine. Anybody else experience this? The codes were read the day prior at the dealer. The day before that, I stopped for fuel and the bike displayed a message, "shutting down due to high ambient temperatures, 10, 9 , 8" Needless to say, I pressed Cancel as I had no idea what the bike would do and I still had about 75 miles to go at the end of that day. Oh . . . it was 114 degrees! The next day, I asked the dealer and they had never heard of this message and did not know what the bike would do at the end of the countdown.

    Has anybody experienced either of these situations? If so, would love to know the solution or results!

    Dave

  2. #2
    Registered User d martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    "The Gas City" SE Alberta
    Posts
    60

    Overheating


  3. #3
    Dave Norton
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Sedona, AZ
    Posts
    10

    K1600GTL Engine Cutout

    None of those comments address the issue that I experienced. My bike is NEW and the posts are on older models and only deal with overheating. I'm asking about the engine cutting out and not being able to run more than about 1200 RPM no matter how the throttle is twisted. After being totally shut down and started up again, it all runs fine. I did like the tips on keeping the radiator clean, but that isn't the issue I'm experiencing right now . . . Dave

  4. #4
    For goodness sake - it is a 2018 model. See your dealer. Warranty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  5. #5
    SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Big Sky Country
    Posts
    7,387
    It is going into limp mode. It is designed to protect the motorcycle when certain faults occur. Could be because something is actually wrong, a faulty sensor or an electrical hiccup. Take it to a dealer.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

  6. #6
    Registered User wkuwiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    North Central Florida
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    For goodness sake - it is a 2018 model. See your dealer. Warranty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What he said!!!
    CW
    '06 F650GS Dakar, 2016 K1600GT
    See you on down the road!

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Central OHIO
    Posts
    14
    Maybe late to the party here, but I had the EXACT same issue.

    1500 miles on bike adn owned it for three months.
    Early August, set out for a 2000 mile trip.
    Day 1 - mile 0 - engine stalled. Limp mode/check engine. Reset and road 500 miles. All good.
    Day 2 - mile 500 - engine stalled. Limp mode/check engine. Reset and road 500 miles further way. All good. That night at hotel, bike locked into this mode and wouldn't reset. Called BMW Roadside Assistance. They towed the bike 80 miles away.
    Day 3 - dealer closed - Monday.
    Day 4 - dealer adjusted things, like the TPS. Road 100 miles - failed. Reset, road 200 miles -failed. Dealer came and got bike at my hotel. I proceded to go eat lobster. What else could I do on vacation!?!?
    Day 6-7 Dealer and BMW engineering got it figured out. New software addressing TPS system and various stuff. Apparently software release came out in August just as my bike was failing..........on vacation.......1200 miles away from home. My buddy's Triumph kept running..........which is just not right at all.
    Day 7 Test rode bike for 100 miles in every mode possible with many on/off starts. All fixed.
    Day 8-9-10 Road home. Runs better than it did at delivery.

    Max BMW in NY/NH/and VT - Amazing Dealer and did a great job taking care of us. Well Done.

    Then, BMW paid for my vacation while I was down.........nice of them.

    In the end, a new software load.

    40 years of Japanese bikes - zero issues.
    4 months with my fist Beemer - stranded. But, I still love this bike.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by phil2018k1600gtl View Post

    40 years of Japanese bikes - zero issues.
    4 months with my fist Beemer - stranded. But, I still love this bike.
    At least you didn't have to try to balance 4 carburetors.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Central OHIO
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    At least you didn't have to try to balance 4 carburetors.
    Actually.........

    Did it on my 2007 Suz Bandit 1250. Enjoyed the process. Glad I'm not doing this any longer though..........


    TBSync8000Miles 008.jpg

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by 90459 View Post
    Just ended a 5 day 1,110 mile trip. Yesterday morning, I jumped on the bike and started out of a parking lot to the street. I could only go 12-15 MPH and nothing over about 1,500 RPM! Needless to say, I didn't get out into traffic. I shut the entire bike and ignition off and started over and then it ran fine. Anybody else experience this? The codes were read the day prior at the dealer. The day before that, I stopped for fuel and the bike displayed a message, "shutting down due to high ambient temperatures, 10, 9 , 8" Needless to say, I pressed Cancel as I had no idea what the bike would do and I still had about 75 miles to go at the end of that day. Oh . . . it was 114 degrees! The next day, I asked the dealer and they had never heard of this message and did not know what the bike would do at the end of the countdown.

    Has anybody experienced either of these situations? If so, would love to know the solution or results!

    Dave
    I brought a brand new BMW K1600 GTL 2018. The same issue you described happen to me at least 4 times since owning my BMMEER i now have 3,300 miles on the new bike. slow traffic with medium warm ambient temperatures. i am concerned about riding the bike in traffic now.

  11. #11
    Registered User GTRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nibley, UT USA
    Posts
    1,179
    Quote Originally Posted by bladson View Post
    I brought a brand new BMW K1600 GTL 2018. The same issue you described happen to me at least 4 times since owning my BMMEER i now have 3,300 miles on the new bike. slow traffic with medium warm ambient temperatures. i am concerned about riding the bike in traffic now.
    I have no doubt that BMW will take care of the issue with a flash update when the bikes hit the dealership. But as the post above shows, there are likely a number of folks riding around unaware on bikes that have an issue that could be dangerous. Perhaps owners should report the problem to NHTSA so that a campaign or recall is initiated?

    Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST 1984 R80 G/S-PD 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C 2010 K1300GT 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

  12. #12
    Interesting, I have a new 2018 GTL with just over 600 miles on it and what is being described happened to me today. I was low on gas and parked the bike. When started it when into limp mode as described. I turned it off and back on and everything was ok. I have my first service next week so will bring it up with the dealer.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by craigslab View Post
    Interesting, I have a new 2018 GTL with just over 600 miles on it and what is being described happened to me today. I was low on gas and parked the bike. When started it when into limp mode as described. I turned it off and back on and everything was ok. I have my first service next week so will bring it up with the dealer.
    To follow up on this, I had the issue again the next day I road to work, parking in the same location. I called the dealer and even was arranging to have the bike toed, but I got the code to clear by riding it in limp mode for a bit and then letting it sit for a few minutes. I then took it to the dealer where they found it had a throw a throttle body code. They said they had never seen this before, but they cleared the code and then performed a diagnostic, everything passed. We then let the bike sit for a few minutes in the sun, to see if that might cause an issue, but it started up and I was able to ride it home with no trouble. Hopefully, this has solved the issue, but if it does not, they may have to look at the throttle bodies.

    We shall see.

Similar Threads

  1. Altrider Engine Bars for 2018 K1600GTL
    By k1200travelor in forum Straight 6 K1600 GT/GTL/B
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-01-2019, 12:21 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-22-2015, 10:34 PM
  3. 2008 1200RT, Engine cutout on freeway
    By Old Don in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-24-2010, 05:44 PM
  4. Engine Cutout going from Neutral to First
    By Chrisrides in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-25-2006, 03:20 PM
  5. Intermittent Engine Cutout
    By jamesbruce in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 11-21-2005, 07:56 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •