• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2018 K1600 GTL Engine Cutout

Dave Norton
Just ended a 5 day 1,110 mile trip. Yesterday morning, I jumped on the bike and started out of a parking lot to the street. I could only go 12-15 MPH and nothing over about 1,500 RPM! Needless to say, I didn't get out into traffic. I shut the entire bike and ignition off and started over and then it ran fine. Anybody else experience this? The codes were read the day prior at the dealer. The day before that, I stopped for fuel and the bike displayed a message, "shutting down due to high ambient temperatures, 10, 9 , 8" Needless to say, I pressed Cancel as I had no idea what the bike would do and I still had about 75 miles to go at the end of that day. Oh . . . it was 114 degrees! The next day, I asked the dealer and they had never heard of this message and did not know what the bike would do at the end of the countdown.

Has anybody experienced either of these situations? If so, would love to know the solution or results!

Dave

K1600GTL Engine Cutout

None of those comments address the issue that I experienced. My bike is NEW and the posts are on older models and only deal with overheating. I'm asking about the engine cutting out and not being able to run more than about 1200 RPM no matter how the throttle is twisted. After being totally shut down and started up again, it all runs fine. I did like the tips on keeping the radiator clean, but that isn't the issue I'm experiencing right now . . . Dave

It is going into limp mode. It is designed to protect the motorcycle when certain faults occur. Could be because something is actually wrong, a faulty sensor or an electrical hiccup. Take it to a dealer.

Maybe late to the party here, but I had the EXACT same issue.

1500 miles on bike adn owned it for three months.
Early August, set out for a 2000 mile trip.
Day 1 - mile 0 - engine stalled. Limp mode/check engine. Reset and road 500 miles. All good.
Day 2 - mile 500 - engine stalled. Limp mode/check engine. Reset and road 500 miles further way. All good. That night at hotel, bike locked into this mode and wouldn't reset. Called BMW Roadside Assistance. They towed the bike 80 miles away.
Day 3 - dealer closed - Monday.
Day 4 - dealer adjusted things, like the TPS. Road 100 miles - failed. Reset, road 200 miles -failed. Dealer came and got bike at my hotel. I proceded to go eat lobster. What else could I do on vacation!?!?
Day 6-7 Dealer and BMW engineering got it figured out. New software addressing TPS system and various stuff. Apparently software release came out in August just as my bike was failing..........on vacation.......1200 miles away from home. My buddy's Triumph kept running..........which is just not right at all.
Day 7 Test rode bike for 100 miles in every mode possible with many on/off starts. All fixed.
Day 8-9-10 Road home. Runs better than it did at delivery.

Max BMW in NY/NH/and VT - Amazing Dealer and did a great job taking care of us. Well Done.

Then, BMW paid for my vacation while I was down.........nice of them.

In the end, a new software load.

40 years of Japanese bikes - zero issues.
4 months with my fist Beemer - stranded. But, I still love this bike.

Just ended a 5 day 1,110 mile trip. Yesterday morning, I jumped on the bike and started out of a parking lot to the street. I could only go 12-15 MPH and nothing over about 1,500 RPM! Needless to say, I didn't get out into traffic. I shut the entire bike and ignition off and started over and then it ran fine. Anybody else experience this? The codes were read the day prior at the dealer. The day before that, I stopped for fuel and the bike displayed a message, "shutting down due to high ambient temperatures, 10, 9 , 8" Needless to say, I pressed Cancel as I had no idea what the bike would do and I still had about 75 miles to go at the end of that day. Oh . . . it was 114 degrees! The next day, I asked the dealer and they had never heard of this message and did not know what the bike would do at the end of the countdown.

Has anybody experienced either of these situations? If so, would love to know the solution or results!

Dave

I brought a brand new BMW K1600 GTL 2018. The same issue you described happen to me at least 4 times since owning my BMMEER i now have 3,300 miles on the new bike. slow traffic with medium warm ambient temperatures. i am concerned about riding the bike in traffic now.

I brought a brand new BMW K1600 GTL 2018. The same issue you described happen to me at least 4 times since owning my BMMEER i now have 3,300 miles on the new bike. slow traffic with medium warm ambient temperatures. i am concerned about riding the bike in traffic now.

I have no doubt that BMW will take care of the issue with a flash update when the bikes hit the dealership. But as the post above shows, there are likely a number of folks riding around unaware on bikes that have an issue that could be dangerous. Perhaps owners should report the problem to NHTSA so that a campaign or recall is initiated?

Best,
DeVern

Interesting, I have a new 2018 GTL with just over 600 miles on it and what is being described happened to me today. I was low on gas and parked the bike. When started it when into limp mode as described. I turned it off and back on and everything was ok. I have my first service next week so will bring it up with the dealer.

Interesting, I have a new 2018 GTL with just over 600 miles on it and what is being described happened to me today. I was low on gas and parked the bike. When started it when into limp mode as described. I turned it off and back on and everything was ok. I have my first service next week so will bring it up with the dealer.

To follow up on this, I had the issue again the next day I road to work, parking in the same location. I called the dealer and even was arranging to have the bike toed, but I got the code to clear by riding it in limp mode for a bit and then letting it sit for a few minutes. I then took it to the dealer where they found it had a throw a throttle body code. They said they had never seen this before, but they cleared the code and then performed a diagnostic, everything passed. We then let the bike sit for a few minutes in the sun, to see if that might cause an issue, but it started up and I was able to ride it home with no trouble. Hopefully, this has solved the issue, but if it does not, they may have to look at the throttle bodies.

We shall see.

2018 K16 GTL - Same problem - startup, switched to limp mode

I had the same problem - started up, pulled out of the driveway, twisted the throttle, and the bike hiccuped then putted down the street at about 8 mph. Power off, power on, startup - no problem, runs fine. I've 1500 miles on it, and am a tad put out.

Took it to the dealer, no codes, nothing showing. I'll take it back in and ask them to flash the newest code into it.

Thanks for the post.

Also having start and dead throttle issues.

2018 K1600GTL 6000 miles on it.

When bike starts throttle is dead and bike has high idle at 1800rpm's.
Going to dealer for 4th time.

1st time. they did software update . Sept 10-15?
2nd time. they cleaned a connector, .and transmission recall April 8-21
3rd time. they replaced throttle body. June 3-20
4th time. ????BMW WARRANTY???? see what part they authorize to change next.

I don't blame the Motorcycle dealership, they are great people to deal with.
BMW is very exact in approval and authorization for warranty repairs. Sad part is Bike has been in and out of the shop for 2 months during riding season and BMW does not offer a loaner like the car dealer would.

I have a 2018 gtl with 8500 miles and was on my way to the dealer for new tires when this issue happened to me. Engine light came on and bike went into limp mode. I had to pull off to shoulder of the highway and turn the bike completely off and restart it a total four times for the 20 miles to the dealer. The diagnostics showed throttle assembly but I didn’t get exactly what. I will find out when I pick it up, had to leave it and have them order the part.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a 2018 gtl with 8500 miles and was on my way to the dealer for new tires when this issue happened to me. Engine light came on and bike went into limp mode. I had to pull off to shoulder of the highway and turn the bike completely off and restart it a total four times for the 20 miles to the dealer. The diagnostics showed throttle assembly but I didn’t get exactly what. I will find out when I pick it up, had to leave it and have them order the part.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum!
It will be good to hear what they find/repair. Please post up the results.
Gary

Back