• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mr Wiegand's April musings inspired me

jers99lt

Supporting our Vets
First off I've been a BMW rider since 2007, and never attended a rally. Sorry, but that's me. Having read Mr Wiegand's April "Headlight", I totally agree that additional training certainly wouldn't hurt. Where better than in Des Moines this July? I don't own camping gear any longer. Not that I couldn't/wouldn't sleep on the ground for a few nights (63yo, ouch!), but couldn't find lodging close to the fairgrounds at this "late" date.
I'm just serving this up to the wizened riding bretheren for "out of the box" ideas to be part of the rally, but yet close enough not to have to ride miles in the evening to get some rest/sleep.

Ideas?

With all gratitude,
Jer

Check into renting an RV locally and stay on the fairgrounds.

Great suggestion I had definitely not thought of. Thank You! I'm perusing that now, but having issues with pick-up/drop-off at the fair grounds. I'll be alone on a motorcycle...
Any and all suggestions are still very much welcomed.

Have fun,
Jer

I see a few hotels close to the Rally grounds that still have available rooms. Did you check the Rally home page hotel listing?

http://secure.rezserver.com/hotels/...&plugin=&pet_friendly=false&city_id=800048065

The RV idea is good if you want to be right there, but you should be able to find a decent hotel within 5-10 minutes from the fairgrounds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did see the listings, but I would rather not ride after a day in the sun and an adult beverage or two in me. Is it common for a member to leave their bike at the fair grounds and Uber it to a lodging?

I did see the listings, but I would rather not ride after a day in the sun and an adult beverage or two in me. Is it common for a member to leave their bike at the fair grounds and Uber it to a lodging?

At most MOA Nationals the Sherpa Packer offers tents, sleeping bags, pillows, etc. If he's there this year that's an option to camp on grounds. Another option would be to purchase an inexpensive tent, air mattress, sleeping bag, etc in Des Moines, and donate it after the rally. Camping's free, and for less than a hotel room, you could purchase gear to :thumbstay on site!

That’s a great idea, plenty of parking and an Uber to downtown is like $6-8. Last time I was there it was $12 from the airport to downtown, so I like that idea! Technology....use it!

Sherpa is also an option as well as getting cheap tent and air mattress.

http://www.sherpapackers.com/bmw-moa.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might also want to consider Airbnb. I just did a quick check for Des Moines on the dates of the Rally and it lists 123 homes available. I rented a room through Airbnb for the Salt Lake City Rally last year and it worked out great. Nice room, close to the train system with about a 10 minute ride to the Rally grounds.

Thank you all for helping me get over the "hump" to attend this year's rally. My first! I'm leaning toward the Sherpa Packer due to not wanting to commute once there. Never knew they existed and can't say I've seen an ad for them in ON mag, ever.
Uber was a close second for motel or airbnb. I had considered buying gear and donating, but I can see that eating up a lot of time. Renting an RV stalled as no responses came from my inquires. I found all suggestions had valuable merit and I appreciate that immensely.

Thanks again,
Jer

Last edited:
Back