• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2008 GSA shutting down completely when going from 1st to 2nd

dsdragt

Has anyone ever experienced their GSA shutting down completely when going from 1st to 2nd ?

It has happened at random times, but yesterday it happened just after I gassed up and while trying to take off at an intersection.

Not a good time for it to shut down, but it restarted just fine and it didn't do for the remainder of our ride.

I posted this to the BMW R1200GS Owners Facebook forum and got some suggestions:
  • Ignition Switch could be faulty
  • Side Stand Switch could be faulty
  • Weak battery or battery requires charging (8 months old, kept on trickle charger when there are extended periods of non-riding, ruled that one out)

I did bypass the side stand switch in the hopes of narrowing down the issue. Was able to disconnect wires from the switch and kept them fully intact to include the terminal ends.

It's a 2008 GSA. Any other thoughts as to what it could be and/or what else to investigate?

I’ve had this happen. I have an 08 GS. Same description. Happened several times after getting gas. My issue was I slightly overfilled the gas tank and gas went into the canister. Since you said you just got gas, I’m guessing it’s same thing. Unbeknownst to me at that time, this is a common issue. Google canisterectony adv and you’ll get some solutions. I just stopped overfilling the tank and issue never reoccurred.

Good luck!

I’ve had this happen. I have an 08 GS. Same description. Happened several times after getting gas. My issue was I slightly overfilled the gas tank and gas went into the canister. Since you said you just got gas, I’m guessing it’s same thing. Unbeknownst to me at that time, this is a common issue. Google canisterectony adv and you’ll get some solutions. I just stopped overfilling the tank and issue never reoccurred.

Good luck!

beckgr,

Every time the bike has shut down it's been at very random times, no situation has been the same. I've filled up this bike dozens and dozens of times, but this was the first time it happened after a fill up. I can count on one hand the number of times the engine shut down, but none of the situations are similar.

Definitely something electrical

Dave,

You might want to browse through: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?91518-09RT-still-a-sporadic-starter - and look at what the cause was. Could it be? Mebbe.

Played around with starting the bike last night and I'm convinced it's electrical. Started just fine, but head lights were flickering, taillight acting as if I was cycling the brakes, turned on the high beam and then it quit. Instrument panel went blank, no power.

Battery terminals tight and clean. I did not check the battery ground, but it was suggested by a co-worker who had a similar issue.

I'll check it out after work.

Played around with starting the bike last night and I'm convinced it's electrical. Started just fine, but head lights were flickering, taillight acting as if I was cycling the brakes, turned on the high beam and then it quit. Instrument panel went blank, no power.

Battery terminals tight and clean. I did not check the battery ground, but it was suggested by a co-worker who had a similar issue.

I'll check it out after work.

Does anyone know where the battery ground is located ?
My research has found that it's under the gas tank, attached to the left side of the motor, near the alternator ?
Does that sound right ?
BTW... I have a 2008 model

Back