• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

wiring in a Garmin Nuvi to my 2013 R1200RT

codan

First post, please be kind...

I know there are compromises, but I've decided to put a Garmin Nuvi auto GPS on my 13 R1200RT.

I made a bracket today following the YouTube video on DIY R1200RT GPS mount. Ram Mounts makes the other parts I need.

The next task is wiring it. I found the female connector down near the forks that the OEM plugs into, and I've found the part # for the male plug & wires to go into it

Can I just
1) connect that male plug to my GPS power cord (what goes to what?)
2) plug that male into the female that's already on the bike
and call it good?

The wires on the male connector are all yellow, but the pins on the BMW connectors are numbered. Look closely with a good light - the molded numbers are small and the same color as the connector. Pin 1 is ground, a brown wire on the bike, probably black on the nuvi side. Pin 3 is +12 Volts, red/white on the bike, probably red for the GPS. Pin 2 is only used by the BMW Navigator units.

The question I cannot answer is what voltage the nuvi requires. The zümo and Navigator units expect a full 12 volts and step it down as needed in the GPS and mount. Some automotive units have the circuitry within the cigarette lighter plug to provide 5 volts from a 12 volt socket. If this is what the nuvi requires, you may need to wire in a standard lighter socket.

Last edited:
The question I cannot answer is what voltage the nuvi requires. The zümo and Navigator units expect a full 12 volts and step it down as needed in the GPS and mount. Some automotive units have the circuitry within the cigarette lighter plug to provide 5 volts from a 12 volt socket. If this is what the nuvi requires, you may need to wire in a standard lighter socket.

Thank you for this information.

I contacted Garmin today and they told me the unit will take 12-30 volts, so I guess I'm good to go.

I used the BMW repair cable to plug a Nuvi into the OEM GPS plug on my K1300S and it worked.
It should work on the RT.

Back