• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Shifter arm removal HELP

travgusmc

How do I remove the gear selector (shifter arm). I'm removing it to install my raask rear sets which come with different linkage and shifter arm. I've removed the nut on the set screw bolt but can't get the bolt out to I assume relieve it from the shaft. It's a super awkward position and no room to hammer it out with like a tap. Thinking if I drill it out it will come but want to know if that's my answer before I take the drill to it. And yes, I've heated it up and tried to hammer a wedge between the arm and case to no avail.

Any help is appreciated

It helps to know what year/model bike we are talking about. I was working with a new owner yesterday at an airheads tech day and we removed the shift lever and linkeage from his R80/7. On every 5 speed transmission, the external shift arm is secured to the transmission's inner guts with a long cap screw/bolt/whatever into the gearbox. On a 4 speed, the shift lever is fitted to a splined shaft that protrudes from the gearbox. On a /6, the selector is directly attached to the works inside the trans. On /7 and later models, there is a heim joint style adjuster on the shift linkeage that bridges from the trans to an ear on the foot peg. On /7 and later bikes it is necessary to pull the foot peg along with the shift lever. If you are considering a wedge to remove the shift lever, I would assume you are working on a 4 speed trans. Non-flame heat, like a heat gun/hair dryer, and patience are what you need to employ, along with a wooden wedge.

>>>>>> EDIT<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I reviewed your first post;....

You can make super penetrating oil with a 50/50 mix of transmission fluid and acetone, but DO NOT apply a flame from a torch to anything you have treated with such a mixture. If the pinch bolt is broken off, you will have to drill it or use an E-Z OUT.

Those 4-speed cottered levers can be a pain. Basically what happens is that the pin loosens and raises a burr on the shaft. Then you can't get the lever off.

If you don't have the pin out, you can't take the arm off. The pin locks the arm to the notch in the shaft, so it has to come out. Heat, penetrant, etc. You may have to remove the transmission to get the right access to it.

Those 4-speed cottered levers can be a pain. Basically what happens is that the pin loosens and raises a burr on the shaft. Then you can't get the lever off.

If you don't have the pin out, you can't take the arm off. The pin locks the arm to the notch in the shaft, so it has to come out. Heat, penetrant, etc. You may have to remove the transmission to get the right access to it.

Yes, thanks for your help as well. It is a 75/5 4sp. Definitely kicking my butt right now but am going to drill it out or cut it off if that fails since it won't be going back on the bike.

Most results when searching the net for answers were guys who had the tranny pulled so yeah that method isn't necessary for me, I'll cut it before it comes to that.

Back