• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Skibum Soirée 2018–the most east rally resurrected

Soriee 2018 Update

To those who decided not to attend, too bad. You missed some great weather and even greater host and hostess, Mike and Sarah. I'm as articulate as a stick but here is my attempt to share this journey with you.

The trip started in North Sydney Cape Breton, on the Ferry over to Argentia. It was first class, complete with overnight berths if you choose, two restaurants, bar, TV lounge, and gift shop. I was loaded onto the boat by 5:00pm, had a nice dinner, and a few drinks, even met a fellow BMW rider traveling on his K100 and swapped stories into the evening.

Mike aka the Beertheif, aka Skibum, meet us at the boat in Argentia the next morning, just in time for the only 5 minutes of rain the entire four days of the Rally. After introductions and a short ride we had a quick bite to eat at the "Dildo Brewing Company and Museum", the food is typical bar fare, but the custom brews were delicious, having a little ride to the house, we cut the drinking to only one and were quickly on our way to Skibum's home and rally central in New Melbourne. We were fortunate to time our arrival with a couple of birthday celebrations, complete with some local friends and one of our MOA members on an extended tour. Doug, hope your travels go well, it was a pleasure meeting you, ride safe my friend.

Our hosts have a great setup. A small orchard away from the main house was available for tenting, offering very quite surroundings with a nice breeze through the spruce trees. The Shed, was a central meeting place, displaying memorabilia that has been collected over a lifetime, sparking chuckles and stories galore. A fire pit was in the backyard complete with plenty of seating right in the middle of an expansive and cozy garden.

Day rides were organized from Rally central and all I can say is that riding around the peninsulas of Newfoundland put the Cabot trail to shame, every corner held fantastic scenery of the rocky coast, high bluffs and cliffs only found in Atlantic Canada. A quick five minute walk from the house put you on an awesome beach for some spectacular sunrise's. You are a short ride from New Melbourne to the Islands largest City Saint Johns, which unfortunately I never had time to fully explore, but understand it holds some great sights, food and bars. On my Saturday ride I was approached by some of the friendliest people I've experienced anywhere. Saturday evening we had a great meal at Grates Cove. Newfoundland has a rugged simple beauty, unique and unlike any other place on the mainland in North America. Some of the place's just seem untouched by time.

Sunday I returned via Port Aux Basques which is on the other side of the Island but with a departure time of 11:30 in the evening there was plenty of time to ride there taking in more sights although unfortunately at highway speed on the TCH.

Mike and Sarah have some great plans for the future, and I'll leave it to him to let everyone know what their plans are and time line, but I strongly encourage anyone who is interested in visiting Newfoundland to reach out to them.

Mike, thanks again, it was a great time, you and Sarah keep well until we meet again.

Thank you Jerry for the very fine writeup. We both were very happy to have you come up and join us for our little rally and it's good to hear the rest of your trip went well. One of these days I'll put up a thread here about the moto lodge we are working on creating, in the meantime I need to get upstairs and get the Ducati bathroom working for prospective guests on Sunday. See you down the road.:buds

If you have another next year, let us know early.

I'd like an alternative to a long, hot ride to a hot rally location. I got dehydrated on the way to Des Moines due to a terrible (40 minute) stop-and-crawl on a major highway construction project and later developed atrial fibrillation, which I have learned can be triggered by dehydration. I have a history of A-fib but I was not aware that dehydration is another trigger. I need to start taking it easy in my old age...and a cooler ride would fit that.

I have ridden to Nova Scotia and have done the Cabot Trail...

Harry

Hi Harry, at the moment I would say that we will be hosting another one next year but that's not 100% yet. I will try to put up a thread as early as possible when we know for sure.

Back