• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Skibum Soirée 2018–the most east rally resurrected

skibum69

slave to gravity
It's been awhile since I hosted the last one in 2012 but I'm finally ready to bring back the Skibum Soiree at my house in Newfoundland. I'm staying with the last weekend in August to give everyone including myself as much time as possible plus the best weather outlook of the summer.

Not sure if any MOA members have been to previous ones here but the format will be mostly the same as previous years with a few extra elements thrown in. This is a simple affair with various people going out on group rides mostly scenic pavement rides but there are a few offroad rides for those who want that.

If people want it we can meet at the Argentia ferry and ride the railbed from there back up towards here as we did in '09. I may need to ride it between now and then to ensure nothing has been critically washed out. We can probably arrange a sag wagon to carry gear from the ferry to the house as well to lighten up the load.

We should have a couple of rooms available for the odd person who does not camp but primarily this is a tent out affair around the property. As it looks now there might only be one room as the renovations for the B&B are taking longer than expected.

Typically this is a pretty small gathering, early editions only had up to 20 staying through, we'll see what kind of interest there is this year. It has always been a pretty intimate affair.

There are also threads on RidetheRock.com and ADVrider.com. Old threads from '09-'12 are also easy to find on ADVrider.com.

I know Newfoundland is on every touring person's list so why not use this as an excuse to go?

cheers
mike

Boy would I love to attend. I lived in St. John’s as a kid and would like to see the sticks of Newfoundland instead of the big city.

Here’s where we are. People who want to do a loop can take the short ferrry one way and only cross the island once to take the long ferry the other way from Argentia which is right next to Placentia due south on this map. There is a fun old rail bed section from there to Whitbourne for the off-road crowd.

Bear in mind Newfoundland is the 13th biggest island in the world, it is way bigger than you think so if you want to see a lot plan on a lot of time to do it.
i-VBzpPFt-S.gif

Since the first event in '09 all consequent events have been in memory of ITSteve, Steve Doyle who was killed in a head on collision the day he was supposed to catch the ferry a week after leaving the first Skibum Soirée. He was a very warm and large personality in our local forum ridetherock.com and others. He is missed.

A few things lining up such as a group dinner Saturday evening at Grates Cove Studios, a fun mix of cajun and Newfoundland not too far away and a choice of all pavement or 1/3 dirt to get there.

One of our favourite local bands is hosting their annual BBQ on the Saturday as well, there is a maybe for a road ride there to say hi in the afternoon.

Depending on #'s the outdoor shower may be running, we ran the well dry last summer when RTWPaul & EvergreenE were there so that also depends on how much rain we've had. The solar shower is always an option.

The t-shirt design is pretty much finalized, I do not have prices yet. Decal design will be soon to follow.

There is more room in the apple orchard now that the big spruce that was in the middle of it came down around xmas. With any luck I'll have it cut up and out of the way by then.

Who's coming?

Since the first event in '09 all consequent events have been in memory of ITSteve, Steve Doyle who was killed in a head on collision the day he was supposed to catch the ferry a week after leaving the first Skibum Soirée. He was a very warm and large personality in our local forum ridetherock.com and others. He is missed.

A few things lining up such as a group dinner Saturday evening at Grates Cove Studios, a fun mix of cajun and Newfoundland not too far away and a choice of all pavement or 1/3 dirt to get there.

One of our favourite local bands is hosting their annual BBQ on the Saturday as well, there is a maybe for a road ride there to say hi in the afternoon.

Depending on #'s the outdoor shower may be running, we ran the well dry last summer when RTWPaul & EvergreenE were there so that also depends on how much rain we've had. The solar shower is always an option.

The t-shirt design is pretty much finalized, I do not have prices yet. Decal design will be soon to follow.

There is more room in the apple orchard now that the big spruce that was in the middle of it came down around xmas. With any luck I'll have it cut up and out of the way by then.

Who's coming?

I'm planning on the the ferry to Argentia on Wednesday the 22nd, be at your place Thursday around 1:00. From the ferry website, the TV lounge looks comfy enough, can I reasonably anticipate catching a few z's in one of the recliners or is that frowned upon?

You can totally snooze in chairs anywhere, I totally prefer getting a cabin but I recognize the cost is prohibitive. You should get on the ADV thread and see if you can team up with anyone else coming to the mainland on the same boat. What are you riding? Are you into off-road or strictly pavement?

You can totally snooze in chairs anywhere, I totally prefer getting a cabin but I recognize the cost is prohibitive. You should get on the ADV thread and see if you can team up with anyone else coming to the mainland on the same boat. What are you riding? Are you into off-road or strictly pavement?

I'm riding a R1200R, so strictly pavement for me. I've been thinking about a cabin, I'm not a share the room type of guy. I was isolated to my own room traveling with work mates years ago, after one of them compared me to a cab-over going up a steep grade with a full load.

Are you going to Des Moines? We could meet up for a beer one evening get acquainted.

Right, berths sleep 4 which is part of why they cost so much. Nice to have somewhere to hide for the long crossing. The run up to my place on pavement is nice and scenic too so you'll be fine.

Yes I am heading to Des Moines on my way back from Tuk, I'll be on a filthy KTM.

And yes to beer, I'm pouring in the beer tent on the day it opens and plan to be in there every evening after that.:twirl

There ya go, man on a mission! Looking forward to Des Moines, will be crating my bike to ship in a week and a half.

Ok, this year’s shirt design is finalized and I personally think it looks great, same graphic artist as past years.

Price after tax is $35 CDN based on a minimum of 20. I’m setting it up so you can e-transfer the printer direct and I will pick them up to have waiting for you at the Rally. This will save me trying to manage it while I’m at work which I will be until not long before folks start showing up.

In the past you had to show up to get one with only one or two exceptions ever.

I’m thinking the cutoff to order will be August 10 to give Ken plenty of time to get them done.

Whoever is thinking of coming please chime in so I can get a list going.

If you’re curious about the shirt evolution over the years...I’ll see if I can drum up some pics of people wearing them.

Back