• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Nav iv dead

redling

Nav VI dead

On a ride my Nav VI just stopped working! Black screen as if powered off, re-started bike several times and now charging via USB. Still dead, any suggestions?

Last edited:
Try testing the battery to make sure it is actually charging/charged. I've not run across this problem, but I would want to first make sure there is juice to the unit.

I took the battery out and put it back in and now the unit seems to be working fine. Strange, it was turning on and off with the bike all day, when I came to stopping point the NAV powered down with the ignition normally but then did not come back on when I restarted the bike a few minutes later. Has anyone else had this experience?

See if you can have the battery checked for its state of health. If it is okay, then I would look at connections. The Nav-IV is old enough now that there could be a bit of corrosion (often not visible to the naked eye) of the terminals. These can be cleaned with alcohol or a small pencil eraser (don't leave any residue at all). If that doesn't fix it then it may be a failing internal connection, or just a random "I'm gonna make you worried" glitch if you're lucky.

Hope it works out okay. They're great pieces of gear but terribly expensive to fix or replace. Garmin does have repair centres if you need/want to go that route.

On a ride my Nav VI just stopped working! Black screen as if powered off, re-started bike several times and now charging via USB. Still dead, any suggestions?

Not an unusual problem, but often solved by removing the GPS from its cradle and carefully cleaning the contacts.

Back