• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

So which dealers actually deliver

huskydriver

Huskydriver
Nobody can stock everything BMW, well maybe BMWNA can, but with the internet and the "online Please" ordering with dealers that actually keep their customers informed on items they purchase online with are rare. Having no local dealer where I am means driving a couple of hours, or ordering online. Which brings the question to the top of the table, when you order and they take your money what does this really mean? What I have found out is they will take your order, and money, and then you have to guess when you will get what you paid for. In todays computer world with 100% inventory control you would expect that if an item was not in stock you would be told before the order was placed and money swapped. In reality it is far from that, even with common items that we would expect a dealer to carry. So why the question today? Well, this sucks, but two shops (BIG shops) that have their online stores up and running can take your money but can't seem to figure out how to tell you just where you are on their shipping. Really? Not only could one shop not ship, but their website just shows the order as processing-after 4 (FOUR)n days. I understand, maybe they sold out. Called the shop hat I ordered the Factory Original cover from and was informed that my order should ship next Tuesday. HMMMMMMMMM, Placed order on May1, and maybe by May 8th they can ship it. I asked, being understanding that not all things can be in stock when the order comes in, was the cover on back order. Nope, in stock. So it takes 7 (Seven@!) days to ship? Well you should have checked our shipping page, it's explained there. So, not wanting to be a total aS!! I said lets check it again, maybe I missed it. Nope, nothing there that even hints on when items ordered (and paid for) will ship. So I asked a simple question, when I order an item and it's in stock it's your company policy (that is not posted) to take a week or more to ship? If I could have only seen his face with the deer in the headlight look when he had to think about that one. So, simple math, order today, ship a week later, and then get it a week later than that-if they get it out on their schedule. A call to the local (60 miles away) shop and nope they don't have it in stock, seems everybody is buying online for cheaper so no reason to stock it.

So where do you find a shop that you can walk in and buy what you need? And just how far should you drive to support your "local" dealer who doesn't stock a lot either. Great movie from 1970 explains it for todays market, it's "Catch 22". A great quote form the old movie-"There'll be no more moaning in this outfit. The next man who moans is going to be very sorry." For the millennial's you should watch this to understand not only what the saying means but what it truly means. Nevada may be great for skiing and gambling but not much for BMW's. Oh, and that goes fora few other places around the country. Computers, you know they can't ...................

I generally do not internet-order BMW parts. Tires and aftermarket stuff yes; OEM parts no. And I live hundreds of miles from the nearest dealer.

But I have patronized a specific dealership (Engle Motors in Kansas City) since 1984, even though we now live over 1,100 miles away. When I need parts I call them on the phone and tell them what I need. They look it up and tell me if they have it or not. If not they can usually get it within just a few days, and they almost always tell me "I can have that by xxxday". As soon as they get it they send it. If I am ordering several things and they have some and not others I tell them whether to send what they have ASAP and the rest later, or to wait and send it all together.

I have even had a couple of cases where they said "We don't have that. Let me call Gina's and Gateway and see if they do? I'll call you back."

The key is person-to-person communication in my opinion. And this is best served by developing a personal relationship with a dealership rather than just an online relationship.

p.s. Would anybody care to guess where and how far we went to buy our two new 2018 G310GS bikes?

I look up part numbers and then call my preferred dealer, which has changed due to a buyout and personnel moving to another dealer I prefer to do business with.
Unless it is a long time shop with a lot of capital and space, rarely is everything I need in stock or even in the States at several shops I do business with.I am told if in stock, then given a choice of an overnight order or the stock order within a week.
I have used a few online parts orders and understand the lead time I will deal with, making my choices by time needs.

Sometimes I get the parts shipped, sometimes I will take a ride depending on how bad I need something.

As mentioned, a phone call and a face to face greet makes future dealings smoother...for me anyways

There are not many dealers of any vehicle that stock a complete warehouse full of parts as the cost just is not justifiable in the world of inventory management and on time delivery systems.

I look up part numbers and then call my preferred dealer, which has changed due to a buyout and personnel moving to another dealer I prefer to do business with.

But Robert and C.C. are having a lovely time down here. Come see them, and us. I know an available bunkhouse that could be available.

Electronic inventory control is only as good as the people who maintain it, years ago my wife worked at a parts distributor who would shut the doors for one week and physically count every item in the store, it was all hands on deck to help, she was amazed every year at just how far off things could get. In stock for her old company sometimes meant that it was in a warehouse in phoenix and would be put into the distribution system to their store in Maine which might take a week or more. Tracking software varies a lot as well, some systems suck, their slow, hard to input data into, get data out of, employees that don't understand very well so don't comply with all the necessary good practices. I think Paul hit it on the head, when you know and call the local parts counter guy by his/her first name that's where the best information can come from.

As for stocking inventory, if I was a dealer I wouldn't bother either, so many people are quick to go to the internet to save a couple bucks, afraid the dealer or "stealership" as some affectionately refer to them as, will make a profit. Why would you invest the money if there was no return.

I live in Ontario Canada and I order my OEM parts from Max BMW in Brunswick, NY & received excellent service from them.
I go online & get the part numbers from the website and e-mail my request.

parts is parts

First thing I did when I moved to Las Vegas was to visit the local dealer and get to know the parts guy! Since the newest bike I own is a 1987 model, I am realistic enough to know that they won't have about 99% of what I need.
So when I do need OEM parts I do the research and get the part number before calling. This allows a quick transaction that I think we both appreciate. The parts arrive in less than a week and I get a courtesy call letting me know that they're in. No outrageous shipping/handling charges, just sales tax. And a good excuse to get out for a ride! Plus, a good parts person can look up warehouse inventory as well as finding obscure parts that may be in inventory at another dealer.
Another feature is that if you really, really need a part that isn't in stock, your parts person can order it at a priority level and get it the next day! Of course this will cost a bit more but if you're in a jam and need it then the cost increase justifies it.
I'm sure that Engle, and any other dealer has a simple shipping policy and that If I found a scarce part in an inventory a great distance away the dealer would be able to ship it to me.
I just can't see myself sitting on the side of the road in Terlingua, waiting for the thrice a week mule team mail delivery service!

You'd be amazed!

Voni
sMiling

Special order items is understandable. And a great parts person at a shop you have dealings with regularly (or even for a reason to ride) is not an issue either. Mine was simple, I wanted a BMW cover. Not for the heads or gages but the whole MC cover. Bobs did not have the one in stock but the Vegas odds were in my favor and confirmed when I called and talked to a human that said it was in stock. The issue was not shipping it for 7 days (thats a week). His comment was to checkout the shipping page, and like I posted above there was nothing on their shipping page to say they ship in a week or two. My special order parts from Bob's BMW arrived in a week. The cover, well it may have shipped but at this point it could still be sitting on the shelf (no emails, calls, or anything). But I did get their sales email telling about how big they are growing and expanding. Funny, they can't handle what they have but they are expanding. Technology was suppose to make things easier, smoother running, more accurate, responsive. Hmmmmmmm.

The North Hampton MAX store is my local dealer. They usually have stuff in stock even for my 86 airhead.

A lot to do with attitude

Brookfield, CT MAX instead of the only BMW dealer left on the island. No one is perfect, but they seem to just be a little nicer, too.

Nevada may be great for skiing and gambling but not much for BMW's.

This dealer wouldn't happen to be in Sparks, NV would they? I placed an order 4/28 and it's still listed as "processing". Emailed them, got nothing back so I called them and they told me it'll be out Friday 5/11. Checked the online order today and still listed as "processing"

Going back to ordering from MAX, at least I'll get some M&M's with my order!

I'm so happy to have Eurosport BMW in Asheville NC. Effective action as soon as the phone is answered, by people who ride and know stuff!

Male & Female.

Have a look at their web site, and always stop by when traveling nearby.

"travel'n" john

This dealer wouldn't happen to be in Sparks, NV would they? I placed an order 4/28 and it's still listed as "processing". Emailed them, got nothing back so I called them and they told me it'll be out Friday 5/11. Checked the online order today and still listed as "processing"

Going back to ordering from MAX, at least I'll get some M&M's with my order!
Hmmmmmm, me thinks so. Well, yep, they are the ones who profess they are all for BMW riders but now we know. Nothing I say or do will amount to anything, they will still be what they are and as more find out about them, maybe, and I mean maybe, the owners will step up. But I doubt it.

Back