• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

No starter ?

DENNYMELCHER

NOTGIL-T
2011 RT Just pulled off the cover to wash the bike for the first ride since October. Has been on a tender since new battery in September, everything works, plenty of juice, hit the Starter button and nothing.
It has 10,750 miles and has never given any trouble, am I just, not thinking, is my age showing???

2011 RT Just pulled off the cover to wash the bike for the first ride since October. Has been on a tender since new battery in September, everything works, plenty of juice, hit the Starter button and nothing.
It has 10,750 miles and has never given any trouble, am I just, not thinking, is my age showing???

What voltage is battery after sitting for 15 minutes with no tender?

Does display turn on? Any clicks?

Did you try in neutral? The clutch safety switch is known to go bad, but it will still start in neutral (also starts in neutral with bad side stand switch, but dies going in gear).

Dennymelcher

What voltage is battery after sitting for 15 minutes with no tender?

Does display turn on? Any clicks?

Did you try in neutral? The clutch safety switch is known to go bad, but it will still start in neutral (also starts in neutral with bad side stand switch, but dies going in gear).

Everything works, gauges, lights, horn, signals, radio. Not a sound, when I hit the starter switch.
12.6v after 3-4 minutes, with everything ON. I’m really puzzled, as well as the other

Everything works, gauges, lights, horn, signals, radio. Not a sound, when I hit the starter switch.
12.6v after 3-4 minutes, with everything ON. I’m really puzzled, as well as the other

Did you try in neutral? 12.6 indicates battery is in a pretty good state, so I’m thinking a safety switch is acting up, either clutch, side stand or kill switch on grip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Dennymelcher

I think it’s time to hit the Owners Manual. Already too dark to wash the bike for in the morning, even if I did get it started.

davemason

I had the same issue this spring with my 2012 RT. Parked the bike for the winter last year, all was fine. Tried to start it this spring, nothing. Could hear fuel pump, and all indicators were good. Turned out it was my starter switch. Dealer replaced all bar switches under a recall which I wasn't even aware of, and all is fine again.

Back