• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New to me 2013 R1200GS and a few questions

915e

A little over a year ago I sold my 08 GS and just bought a one owner 2013 R1200GS LC with 30K miles on it. What a huge improvement over my previous bike, I now have ESA, cruise, heated grips and GPS as well as the LED headlight and all the other electronics. The GS already came with the taller Puig W/S (ordered stabilizers though). Still had to make some changes to make it "fit" me better. So far I installed Moose foot pegs, 25mm handle bar risers, Grip Puppies and put the stock seat back on (very comfortable). I also bought new tires (not installed yet) because I don't care for the Heidenau K60 Scouts despite the fact that they only have 2000 miles on them; I stay on pavement and want the bike to handle good around corners. And yes, I have to renew my membership so I can get the fancy MOA magazine again.

I like to know if I can connect any waterproof Bluetooth speaker to my NAV 5 so I can listen to the route guidance and maybe even some music of the SD card. I am also wondering if it is safe to use a regular battery tender with the permanent little pigtail mounted to the battery terminals (it worked fine on my 08 that way).

Thanks,

Hans

Using a "regular" battery tender is no problem. As far as bluetooth goes, you could go to something like a Sena setup which would also give you bike-to-bike communication, or you could get a pair of bluetooth earbuds. A lot of road only GS riders (such as me) are using the Pirelli Scorpion II tires and are finding them to be excellent. Continental and Dunlop both make street tires in 19" size so you could try them too.

Using a "regular" battery tender is no problem. As far as bluetooth goes, you could go to something like a Sena setup which would also give you bike-to-bike communication, or you could get a pair of bluetooth earbuds. A lot of road only GS riders (such as me) are using the Pirelli Scorpion II tires and are finding them to be excellent. Continental and Dunlop both make street tires in 19" size so you could try them too.

Thanks for answering. I have read about the Sena stuff but really try to avoid earbuds and would prefer speakers. If that isn't possible I'll get earbuds.

As far as the tires are concerned I ordered a set of Shinko 705 radial tires, when I bought my 08 GS the original owner had just put them on. I was very skeptical at first because I had never heard of the brand but was pleasantly surprised how well they handled and cornered. You can't beat the price either, $183.00 for the set.

Thanks for answering. I have read about the Sena stuff but really try to avoid earbuds and would prefer speakers. If that isn't possible I'll get earbuds.

The SENA system uses in-helmet speakers. They are remarkably clear and you can hear them even with earplugs.

Ian

Back