Thread: Shocking video

Shocking video

A rather inexperienced rider,, lucky, this one time!
    And a semi truck driver, said to be talking on the cell
    phone, or/and just ignoring the amber light approaching
    the intersection.
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/shocki...toba-1.3910536

" I assumed he was.... "

Never assume anything when riding a motorcycle.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

My mother taught me when I was a very young child: "Look both ways before crossing the street." That wisdom of course applies when the light goes green... People run red lights every day - expect it.
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

It appears that the cab air dam saved his life. I got tee boned in a car years ago and have never trusted a light signal since.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    My mother taught me when I was a very young child: "Look both ways before crossing the street”.
    Seems like that has been overruled by the “new” training. Around here, children are not taught to look at much. When they get off the school bus they run across the street like there was a force field.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I never go until i am sure that the way is clear

in fact, when i was teaching my daughter to drive, she pulled away from a green light without looking both ways. I explained to her that this was a bad practice to which she said "but i had the green light". I asked her if she had ever seen someone drive through a red light... she gave me a sheepish look. The VERY NEXT red light that we came to, the inevitable happened.... someone ran the red light. I had put my arm across her chest so that she wouldn't move forward, but she hadn't taken her foot off of the brake. We just looked at each other and nodded in agreement.
    Enjoying the ride, but always on the alert for a rally.......

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Seems like that has been overruled by the “new” training. Around here, children are not taught to look at much. When they get off the school bus they run across the street like there was a force field.
    OM
    By overprotecting the kids. we leave them more vulnerable to the real life.
    What happens with the kid when he takes a public bus? But this is away from
    the thread. By the way, if you read forward, the 50-year-old truck driver driver
    was charged $406 for distracted driving and running a red light.
    Just wonder how would it been judged without the dash cam evidence...

Did anybody else notice the wobble and paddle foot action just before impact?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

1.jpg
    Rear wheel locked, front wheel turned to the left; head turned to the right,

2.jpg
    rear wheel continuing around, foot down...
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

I wasn't going to comment because there were too many factors that caused this.

First: Bad, really bad intersection. Truck is North bound at 100 kmh from a curve. If you don't know that there is an intersection there, the warning lights for the red are barely enough to warn you. Being distracted........................

Second: Obviously a new rider. We don't have any system here to graduate riders into real life riding.

Third: The lights are fast and forces people to jump.

Fourth: Anybody with a heartbeat can get a Class 1 license and to get a Class 6 basically means if the bike didn't fall over on your road test, you can ride a bike.
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

“The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.”

Another observation here: the car from across the road is about to the enter. The truck to it's left
    obstructs the view. Proceeds carefully, and stops, as he sees the truck coming. He would have been
    second casualty right then. The rider had much better angle o view both ways. At 35, even if he
    was a beginner as motorcycle rider, he should have a few years as driver. As final though: many
    guardian angels where flying in that intersection: the rider's to protect him from instant death or
    a life as a vegetable. The truck driver's to protect him from a life full of remorse and may never
    drive again. And many that watch this video will learn, so their guardian angels can take a rest!