• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New member and new to me airhead from Indiana

travgusmc

Hello there! I'm a 36y/o combat veteran Marine / superdad to my 4y/o :). I've been riding since 12 or so (dirtbikes) but took many years off. While in the Corps I rode an 04 GSXR 750 when I wasn't deployed. Sold it shortly after getting out and took about 10 yrs off from bikes. Recently (7yrs ago) got back into the 2 wheel life building 10+ vintage honda cb`s and cl`s, mainly 350s and 360s with a 500 and 750 sprinkled in. Growing up my Dad and I were big BMW automobile fans and between us both have owned 15 or so of all varieties. Because of this I've always been into their motorbikes as well but never had the honor of owning or even riding one. 5 years ago I moved next door to an older guy who had a 73 75/5 parked in his garage. After years of haggling he finally gave in and struck a deal. I'm now the proud owner of this beautiful /5. Below is how it's sat for 8yrs. He bought it with 30700mi, had a local airhead guru rebuild the carbs, motor and trans, proceeded to put 80miles and that (imo) fugly windjammer 2 on it and it sat ever since. Currently being stripped down to be beautified once more and get back to racking up some Midwest miles! Thanks in advance for the shared knowledge and assistance and see yall around the forums!

Welcome and good luck. Dump the Windjammer and try riding the bike without a screen for a while, then you can decide on whether you want to add a reasonable screen.

Welcome and good luck. Dump the Windjammer and try riding the bike without a screen for a while, then you can decide on whether you want to add a reasonable screen.

I've already got it stripped down. I'm a cafe guy so I've never been a fan of screens of any sort. Then again I don't do long distance interstate rides. Already sourced an old set of raask rear sets and have a small list of hardware needed from hucky.

WELCOME ABOARD!!.........Though a soldier here I do share the burden/joy of serving this USA........anyway...You have something special there in that GREEN bike. Gonna look great with some low bars and a good seat. Take care breaking that motor in and you will have lot's of great fun. Make sure you discover the guys at BENCHMARK WORKS down in Mississippi for advice and parts expertise. They will actually TALK and give you great advice on the how to do with the older machines........Thanks for being with us....God bless.......Dennis

WELCOME ABOARD!!.........Though a soldier here I do share the burden/joy of serving this USA........anyway...You have something special there in that GREEN bike. Gonna look great with some low bars and a good seat. Take care breaking that motor in and you will have lot's of great fun. Make sure you discover the guys at BENCHMARK WORKS down in Mississippi for advice and parts expertise. They will actually TALK and give you great advice on the how to do with the older machines........Thanks for being with us....God bless.......Dennis

Thanks Dennis, workin on her now actually. My favorite color is green and I've not seen many in this particular metallic hue. It's a lwb so that's a plus (noticed the drive shafts tube extension welded on). I've always gone with Paulo tarozzi low-rise clip ons because of their versatility, comfort, and price point but are you familiar with another brand I should give a try? I shy away from clubmans because of wrist pain horror stories but am actually thinking of giving em a shot. Idk I've got some time to decide as I wait on other parts and hardware. Seat wise, I'm in love with the boxercafe.Com square back cafe seat. The ease of mounting most of all is what's so appealing after having to custom mount every single freaking brat and cafe seat I've used on the 10 plus CBs and CLs I've built.

Is there a build section here on the bmwmoa? or specifically a cafe build sect?

**** Disclaimer **** Nothing I'm doing to this leprechaun can't be undone, purists need not worry. Also, for once I will be keeping/riding this bike for years to come as I hope that my son one day gets to enjoy the boxer rumble. All my other builds have been enjoyed for a couple months or a season, then sold the next spring...not this one, I promised myself haha.

Welcome and congrats on your purchase. Looks like a lot of potential and the green is a pretty unique color. I had an opportunity to bring a '71 R75/5 back to life several years ago. A labor of love and really good therapy. This is how my project turned out, dual plugged and Dyna III electronic ignition. One of the nicest running/riding airheads I ever owned.

IMG_0093.jpg

Enjoy your project. Get it on the road soon and enjoy and thank you for your service.

Hello and welcome to the MOA. I also own a 1973, R75/5, but that green is just stunning. These are antiques that can still perform in modern traffic.

Please consider joining the Airheads Beemer Club. ( www.airheads.org ) The Indiana Airmarshal, Don Beverage, is a good guy to know when working thru an older bike like yours.

Welcome and congrats on your purchase. Looks like a lot of potential and the green is a pretty unique color. I had an opportunity to bring a '71 R75/5 back to life several years ago. A labor of love and really good therapy. This is how my project turned out, dual plugged and Dyna III electronic ignition. One of the nicest running/riding airheads I ever owned.

View attachment 67759

Enjoy your project. Get it on the road soon and enjoy and thank you for your service.

Beautiful /5 bud!!!

Serving was truly my pleasure, thanks. Yeah elect ignition is on the list for sure always ran a pamco system on my Hondas, the first thing i put on because i hate messing with points and timing. I've seen most people recommend the Boyer because it gets rid of the points like my pamco do. What made you go with the Dyna III ?

Oh and how the heck do I get this stupid shifter arm off???!!! Grrr haha

Hello and welcome to the MOA. I also own a 1973, R75/5, but that green is just stunning. These are antiques that can still perform in modern traffic.

Please consider joining the Airheads Beemer Club. ( www.airheads.org ) The Indiana Airmarshal, Don Beverage, is a good guy to know when working thru an older bike like yours.

Thanks, I'm in love with the color as well. And will do, I have and will have lot's of ?'s for sure. It's a whole nother animal compared to my hondas.

What made you go with the Dyna III ?

Oh and how the heck do I get this stupid shifter arm off???!!! Grrr haha

I've installed at least a half dozen Dyna III's with no issues. My dirt hack has had one for the last 165,000 miles. I like the unit which eliminates the points also but uses the factory advance mechanism. Also it has an adjustment for each cylinder so you can eliminate/adjust for any cam runout. With the factory ignition, using a timing light, you'll pickup two images in slightly different locations on the flywheel. The idea is to set the timing in between splitting these images. With the adjustments on the Dyna you can adjust it down to a single image which helps smooth the engine out. I haven't any experience with the Boyer but folks talk it up pretty well.

I haven't removed the shift lever. Is there a reason you're taking it off? You'll find that a lot of parts on the BMW are an interference fit which may require heating up with a propane torch to dissassemble or reassemble. Heating or cooling something may be your friend. Have you acquired any manuals yet?

I've installed at least a half dozen Dyna III's with no issues. My dirt hack has had one for the last 165,000 miles. I like the unit which eliminates the points also but uses the factory advance mechanism. Also it has an adjustment for each cylinder so you can eliminate/adjust for any cam runout. With the factory ignition, using a timing light, you'll pickup two images in slightly different locations on the flywheel. The idea is to set the timing in between splitting these images. With the adjustments on the Dyna you can adjust it down to a single image which helps smooth the engine out. I haven't any experience with the Boyer but folks talk it up pretty well.

I haven't removed the shift lever. Is there a reason you're taking it off? You'll find that a lot of parts on the BMW are an interference fit which may require heating up with a propane torch to dissassemble or reassemble. Heating or cooling something may be your friend. Have you acquired any manuals yet?

Thanks for the info on the dyna.
I'm removing it to install my raask rear sets which come with different linkage and shifter arm. I've removed the nut on the set screw bolt but can't get the bolt out to I assume relieve it from the shaft. It's a super awkward position and no room to hammer it out with like a tap. Thinking if I drill it out it will come but want to know if that's my answer before I take the drill to it.

It's like that E-8 Master Sergeant advised us when we were trying to "Stack Arms" the first time. "Hold it open just like her nice and tight and slide it in easy and soft" and that worked. That bolt is a so tight fit. Yes, heat up the ass embly there with a heat gun. For me, that will not heat it up to much like a torch can overheat. Put perhaps a SMALL vice grip on the bolt head and pull it STRAIGHT OUT WITH A BIT OF WIGGLE that the vice grip allows to the hot bolt. Then the shifter itself should slide off the same way. Straight and with a bit of wiggle.....Patience is the best tool but it will come off. When reinstalling a LOT of time in the freezer first works best........Good luck.....Dennis

Nothing specific. We have a rather nice build in our Best of Forum series- https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?57754-Ever-thought-of-building-a-Cafe-Racer
OM

Oh yeah I recently read an article on Shane and the Porche themed cafe bike. Absolutely beautiful bike and the builder`s /5 he modeled it after is stunning as well. Well, maybe I'll start one in the Airheads section. Mine will be a more budget friendly version of a cafe, something I can barnstorm on and not worry about paint or chrome damage. The tins on those bikes are incredible. I think the original green and white scheme I'll match on the tail and side covers(and no more chrome)will turn heads as well though. Got very lucky with this rare color, needs to be shown off.

It's like that E-8 Master Sergeant advised us when we were trying to "Stack Arms" the first time. "Hold it open just like her nice and tight and slide it in easy and soft" and that worked. That bolt is a so tight fit. Yes, heat up the ass embly there with a heat gun. For me, that will not heat it up to much like a torch can overheat. Put perhaps a SMALL vice grip on the bolt head and pull it STRAIGHT OUT WITH A BIT OF WIGGLE that the vice grip allows to the hot bolt. Then the shifter itself should slide off the same way. Straight and with a bit of wiggle.....Patience is the best tool but it will come off. When reinstalling a LOT of time in the freezer first works best........Good luck.....Dennis

Yeah I've thrown a few choice words at her already but she hasn't loosened up any. Guess I'll just keep at it but might end up taking my favorite tool, tMy grinder and a cutting wheel to it.

Brake pedal came off a lot easier haha. Ready for the rear sets to get here tomorrow. Also air box delete plate/battery tray, tarozzi low-rise clip ons, and fuel lines and filters misc other hardware needed all on order. Stay tuned...

Keep the Windjammer! ...If you're a long distance rider...

Only if you're one of those short distance riders would you want to get rid of a good Windjammer. They'll keep you dry in a frog strangler with 18 wheelers going by on a Interstate where only the old R80 and R100RTs would do the same. The new electrical windshields aren't worth diddelysquat in a rainstorm what with the air space under the windshield letting all the water right up inside.

Only if you're one of those short distance riders would you want to get rid of a good Windjammer. They'll keep you dry in a frog strangler with 18 wheelers going by on a Interstate where only the old R80 and R100RTs would do the same. The new electrical windshields aren't worth diddelysquat in a rainstorm what with the air space under the windshield letting all the water right up inside.

Yeah, short jaunts only for me, I keep it off the interstate. We've got some stellar roads out here and I ride mainly for enjoyment, rarely as a primary means of transport. Just back and forth to work maybe once a week, an after work hour or so fun ride, and weekend destination vintage meets etc.

Back