Thread: 2012 R1200 air box substitute

Question 2012 R1200 air box substitute

Anyone have experience replacing the OEM air box on a 1200 Camhead motor with air filters directly on the throttle bodies e.g. K&N. Have seen a few around but wondering if other mods are required such as remapping ECU for a change of air flow??
    Talmadge Wright
    '12 R1200 GSA
    '14 R nine T

In my reading, no re-map is needed, but depending on the model, there is a sensor in the original airbox that needs to be relocated.

What does making such a change add to the capabilities of the bike?
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    What does making such a change add to the capabilities of the bike?
    Coolness, I suspect.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Coolness, I suspect.
    I admit I always liked the look.

Shorting the intake tract will lower part throttle torque. The new path will be so short I wonder if the RPM limit is high enough to reach the new resonance point. You also will need to find a way to vent the crankcase without introducing water, in fact, you probably will have difficulty riding in severe rain storms. I am nor a fan. now if you could keep the air box and tubes, and make a decorative pod filter, that might be interesting.

Rod

Bikes appeal to the minimalist in me, if something is essential for a given purpose it stays, otherwise it goes. Machine in question is a fair weather short haul toy - no rain or dust storms. If the plastic box, foot long snorkel and associated plumbing are required for engine function they can stay, if not they can live in the spare parts box with the fenders. Just getting my head around the engineering.
    Talmadge Wright
    '12 R1200 GSA
    '14 R nine T

Quote Originally Posted by talmadge_w View Post
    Bikes appeal to the minimalist in me, if something is essential for a given purpose it stays, otherwise it goes. Machine in question is a fair weather short haul toy - no rain or dust storms. If the plastic box, foot long snorkel and associated plumbing are required for engine function they can stay, if not they can live in the spare parts box with the fenders. Just getting my head around the engineering.
    I think most of the respondents thus far are puzzled yet as to exactly what sort of vehicle and purpose you are trying to achieve. From your mention of the bits you’ve already removed and propose removing, the impression is that you are aiming toward a sort of GS version of a “bobber.” Most such builds are based upon much simpler motorcycles produced when bike systems—ignition, fueling, vehicle electrics, etc.—were much simpler and, more importantly, much less interconnected. BMW Airheads from 1970-1995 fit that description and are popular base vehicles for bobber builds.

BMW motorcycles of today are exactly the opposite—laden with complex and interconnected systems that were never designed to function independently nor be modified independently. The bikes carry a plethora of sensors that talk to the ECU and other systems, like the air box-mounted sensor that has already been mentioned. And that ECU is programmed to take it’s inputs as basis for adjustments across multiple systems, ignition and fueling being just two of them, for a variety of purposes like driveability, economy, power output, and so on. And everything about the design of the engine—compression ratio, cam timing, fueling ratios and control, etc.etc.—is predicated upon having the ECU control all systems, having all systems responding to the ECU, and having all inputs and conditions fall within the parameters set by engineering. Intake tract length is certainly one of those parameters.

If it’s a bobber-style ride you’re aiming at, you might be ahead in time, money, and results to cash out the significant resale value of your R12 and start with a simpler bike from an era that pre-dates interconnectivity of systems, like an airhead. If it’s not a bobber-build that you are aiming for, then readers are likely confused over the direction you are headed and thus reluctant to join in with ideas or suggestions. Posting pictures of your build to date, along with photo examples showing the sort of end result you are aiming for, might help generate more input or more useful input.

Just my musings upon reading the thread,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST ó 1984 R80 G/S PD ó 1993 R100GS ó 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C ó 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Thanks for the feedback. Iím aware of the interconnected systems architecture of the modern BMWs which prompted the original post. I have suspected ECU adjustments will be a follow on but thatís in the future plan already. Hadnít noted the sensor in the air box - good info!

Iíve seen several oilheads around with air boxes removed but have not had the opportunity to speak to the riders. Iíll continue tracking down details of what the mod will entail before making a decision.
    Talmadge Wright
    '12 R1200 GSA
    '14 R nine T