• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Battery removal R100/7

What is the trick to remove the battery on my R100/7. Seems to be too big so something needs to be done extra for removal.

Remove the nuts by the rubber cushions at the rear of the battery box. This will allow the battery box and battery to lean backwards and slide out. Tight fit but it should come out.

+1 on letting the battery tilt. I've also have to remove one of the bolts holding the subframe in place. That let's me move the frame a bit to one side with a screwdriver to help the battery clear.

Remove the nuts by the rubber cushions at the rear of the battery box. This will allow the battery box and battery to lean backwards and slide out. Tight fit but it should come out.

Have battery box tipped but still too tight. Is the rear frame where it bolts (bolts have been removed) to the front frame suppose to be on the inside of the front frame? Need about 1/2 inch yet.

The subframe is on the inside of the main frame on my /7.

Another option is to remove the clam shell air box, filter, and air horns to the carbs. Then move the battery forward and out.

The subframe is on the inside of the main frame on my /7.

Another option is to remove the clam shell air box, filter, and air horns to the carbs. Then move the battery forward and out.

+1 I always have had to remove my airbox, maybe some newer smaller batteries come out the other way.

Ok got it out, did have to get a piece of wood and wedge it to spring the frame slightly and holding my mouth just right got it out. My new battery a westco AGM fit right in with no clearance problem. A yuasa was in it before.

Thank you for helping me with this.
K. Kelly
stopthedeerdamage.com

Battery pain

I had to remove nut and push bolt back on right side of frame by battery to get my old one out and new one in on 1978 R100/7

Well, my first repair manual for the bikes with the aluminum clamshell air box instructed that was the way to do it. :dunno

The owners manual for all my Airheads 1970-79 that had the aluminum air box show that as the way to remove the battery. Probably the real trick is to get the carbs set up in the proper upright position on reassembly. :)

Probably the real trick is to get the carbs set up in the proper upright position on reassembly. :)

I wouldn't think so. From time to time, I've unhooked the carbs and used rope or bungee cords to pull the carbs forward and out of the way while I worked somewhere else. Easy enough to slide them back into position. Bob's Your Uncle!

I wouldn't think so. From time to time, I've unhooked the carbs and used rope or bungee cords to pull the carbs forward and out of the way while I worked somewhere else. Easy enough to slide them back into position. Bob's Your Uncle!

Actually, Bob was my Dad. :)

Back