• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

16 R1200RS Charged Battery -FOB OK-Won’t Start?

Tender states 100% and 14.4V -replaced fob battery...bike is comatose and won’t turn over and the cluster displays a single red icon. Any thoughts what may be wrong?
60ad4b7b92516e9c20ed0dda1767d5f0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure you placed the fob battery correct side up.
Try starting the bike with the plastic key, or by placing the fob under the front seat.
Page 50 and 51 of your riders manual will show where to place the plastic key or fob.

I think I only see that light when the fob is out of range when I press the start button.

This suggestion may be completely extraneous, but my RT would not start in the parking lot of a nearby shopping mall, even with the extra key. Battery was fine (as it turned out later). Moving the bike to the center of the parking lot away from RF sources seemed to be the action which allowed the bike to start. Perhaps you have some strong RF sources nearby which interfere with the key?

Make sure you placed the fob battery correct side up.
Try starting the bike with the plastic key, or by placing the fob under the front seat.
Page 50 and 51 of your riders manual will show where to place the plastic key or fob.

I think I only see that light when the fob is out of range when I press the start button.

I purchased the bike as used...I do not have a plastic key. Where is “under front seat”...specifically ?

I purchased the bike as used...I do not have a plastic key. Where is “under front seat”...specifically ?

That's not good. The plastic key is meant to be used should your fob fail for whatever reason. Maybe the plastic on is in the pouch with the owners manual? If I remember correctly, you place the fob on the ecu which is under the front seat. Though, w/o the plastic key this step won't do you any good. You may have to call BMW unfortunately :hungover

If you have the riders manual, it shows a
Picture on page 50 or 51.
I'm on a trip and can't copy a picture from the manual.

Is the bike at home or stranded somewhere?

Last edited:
With regards to not receiving the plastic key, I'd suggest you check to see if the previous owner zip tied it to a frame rail somewhere for use if ever needed on a ride.

Did you see a low fob battery symbol on the dash before you replaced the battery?

Tender states 100% and 14.4V -replaced fob battery...bike is comatose and won’t turn over and the cluster displays a single red icon. Any thoughts what may be wrong?
60ad4b7b92516e9c20ed0dda1767d5f0.jpg

I’d make sure FOB battery is a quality one, Panasonic or Duracell, I tied replacing mine with a generic battery, found it was dead!
Second step is move the bike as others have said, RF signals can inter fear with the keyless system
I found this out at a Mobile station that had fast pass at the pump
If all else fails it should still be covered by warranty

Photosensor (for adjusting
brightness of instrument
lighting)
with anti-theft alarm system
(DWA) OE
Alarm system LED
with Keyless Ride OE
Indicator light for radiooperated
key

Did you see a low fob battery symbol on the dash before you replaced the battery?

No symbol except for the display picture of a red light(posted pic). When I tried to start the bike by depressing the push button, I would feel an attempt at the steering lock to lock the steering column- similar to a mild electrical vibration.

I’d make sure FOB battery is a quality one, Panasonic or Duracell, I tied replacing mine with a generic battery, found it was dead!
Second step is move the bike as others have said, RF signals can inter fear with the keyless system
I found this out at a Mobile station that had fast pass at the pump
If all else fails it should still be covered by warranty

Could it be caused by a second fob from another bike? Doesn’t seem likely.

Could it be caused by a second fob from another bike? Doesn’t seem likely.

I can have the fob for my bike and my wife's fob in my pocket and they do not cause a problem.

Last edited:
DAMHIK.... Did you take the protective clear plastic sticker off the new FOB battery when you put it in?[/QUOTE

Ain't technology wonderful. I love fuel injection and computerized engine management systems, but a computer to tell me how to control my tail light seems a bit much.

As soon as BMW figures out how to make a side
stand work, I might care about more that they concoct. Until then. Not so much ... Tech is good when it is good. And it sucks badly when they screw it up, as they sometimes do.

Won’t start too

My 2016 RS is having similar issues. Push power button get red light. This is in my garage. New batty in bike and fob. If I push the power button repeatedly it eventually goes into start up check and all is well. Worried about getting stranded.

What was the outcome, resolution on your bike.

My 2016 RS is having similar issues. Push power button get red light. This is in my garage. New batty in bike and fob. If I push the power button repeatedly it eventually goes into start up check and all is well. Worried about getting stranded.

What was the outcome, resolution on your bike.

I know you say you put a new battery in the fob, but I'm guessing it's either a bad CR2032 battery (yes, some stores have had batteries in stock long enough that they've failed) or a bad connection. Is there any visible corrosion in the fob around the contacts? Do you have access to a volt-meter to check the CR2032? Did you remember to pull the protective paper off the battery when you inserted it into the fob? All of these are possibilities that would explain the symptoms you're experiencing.

Back