Thread: '98 K1200RS Side Case Heat Shield (Melting Side Case)

'98 K1200RS Side Case Heat Shield (Melting Side Case)

Hello, can anyone tell me where to get insulation to protect my side case from the muffler melt?

My left side case has some considerable damage from muffler heat. I plastic welded the holes closed but I don't want this to happen again. What can I use for heat shield? There is already a thin, metallic sheet of heat shield in a recess at the center of the side that faces the muffler. I want to put a piece in front of it and behind it. My question is, where can I get that thin heat shield? Local hardware stores carry thick wall insulation or thin pipe insulation that has plastic air bubbles inside (like bubble wrap). I don't want to use either of those.

Thanks for any help!

Which bike do you have? BMW can probably sell you another piece of the existing heat shield. They have it for my 04 R1150RT.

Part no. 46542316611. Listed now for about $26.50.
    Last edited by kioolt; 04-30-2018 at 02:34 AM.
    2004 R1150RT 186,800 miles , 1991 K100LT 128,700 miles, 1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
    Total 422,400 BMW miles
    AMA,BMWRA,BMWMOA
    The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

3 Red Bricks
    Goneregret,

Please include the YEAR and MODEL of the bike IN THE TITLE in every thread that you start in this section of the Forum.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...r-thread-title!

I have been adding this info to your other threads, and will to your latest two, but would appreciate you doing so on future threads. Thanks.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Heat Shield Replacement for Side Case on K1200RS/GT

Quote Originally Posted by goneregret View Post
    Hello, can anyone tell me where to get insulation to protect my side case from the muffler melt?

My left side case has some considerable damage from muffler heat. I plastic welded the holes closed but I don't want this to happen again. What can I use for heat shield? There is already a thin, metallic sheet of heat shield in a recess at the center of the side that faces the muffler. I want to put a piece in front of it and behind it. My question is, where can I get that thin heat shield? Local hardware stores carry thick wall insulation or thin pipe insulation that has plastic air bubbles inside (like bubble wrap). I don't want to use either of those.

Thanks for any help!
    Several layers of standard foil HVAC tape worked for me. Applied tape to repaired and cleaned surface of the left saddlebag years ago. No problems since and easy enough to apply another layer if necessary.

20180430_015917.jpg

I bought a roll of this stuff for a few bucks somewhere... probably at a discount hardware store (Harbor Freight or Northern Tools maybe). Good to have on hand as it also works well for similar applications on other vehicles, e.g., airbox/intake and A/C ducts on cars and trucks.

-MTS
    Mike Sweger
    Charlottesville, Virginia | 2004 K1200GT & 2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    "In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth. ~ Buddah

Several other companies make a thicker, yet flexible heat shield. The HVAC stuff probably needs a couple layers as MTS noted. Your local racing supplier may have some options too.
    1995 BMW K75s - 100k and climbing!
    2007 BMW R1200RT - 62k
    2009 BMW G650GS - 22k and ready for Alaska!

I've been using an insulating foam faced with reflective foil. Comes with adhesive backing. It's sold to apply to HVAC ducting. Most big box home improvement/hardware stores carry it.

I took your advice and used that heat reflective tape from Harbor freight. It was about $7. Put on about 4 layers. It's working well for my 20 minute commute. Next week I will go on a 9 hour ride and see how it holds up.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Late to this thread. But, several vendors including mainstream auto parts stores and JC Whitney sell felt fabric with an aluminum facing, about 1/4 inch thick. Most often used on automotive hoods. It works perfectly to protect bags from muffler heat. I have used it on several bikes.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Back from my two long rides, 650 miles up and 650 miles return. On both legs I was in over 100 degree temps for more then 4 hours. The side case did start to deform in the two troubled areas, but it held together. No plastic dripping off and no holes. In fact the whole case is still sound so I won't bother doing more repairs. I think if I did lots of long rides in high temps the problem could grow worse but for now it's okay. Maybe in the future I can find some of that felt backed stuff for better insulation.

Thanks again for all the help!